Home

3-4 DT's/LE's gwtting waaaay to many sacks!

This is a discussion on 3-4 DT's/LE's gwtting waaaay to many sacks! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: 3-4 DT's/LE's gwtting waaaay to many sacks!

So you're playing, not simulating. Then some of this has t o do with play calling, sliders and you not reading you player's ratings. Isac Sopoaga is no pass rusher, but he has 94 strength and like 94 block shedding. he is going to use those ratings to apply pressure on the QB eventually. I tend to send Manny Lawson and Paris Harilson on most of my blitzes. It also helps to go into package subs and select LB pass rush for nickle normal, nickle strong, and base dime defense. When you run the dollar [3-2-6] I suggest you sub Lawson in at ROLB and Harlison in at DE over Sapoaga. Lawson is better at coverage and Harilson is better at pass rushing. The same is true for the 3-3-5 nickle. Only Lawson is already in the game at LOLB, sub in Spikes at ROLB [where he used to play] and put Harilson on the end to edge rush. These changes in game will keep Sopoaga's numbers down while making letting the "right players" get their sacks.

P.S. That's also very si, as that's what the 49ers really do. Paris Harilson was a beast of a pass rusher last year for the 49ers. While his sacks were low he forced a lot of early/bad passes. He was in Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning's face a lot.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-17-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent1
Me thinks you should go back and check again just incase because as long as mine is set to 3-4 i do not see what you are seeing at all,i just simmed 4 full seasons and every single time the guys who should be getting all the sacks did,and the DE's and DT's barely got any at all.
If You sim, or ingame supersim go to coaching scheme and make sure you are in a 3-4, if you are go to DE, DT and set the slider to run stopping, as well as your MLB, should solve your problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 34

I honestly dont know why anyone would play 3-4 in Madden, unless they are a fan of hyper blitzing.

In order to get the 3-4 to work in Madden, you have to routinely send 5 or 6 people...which isnt how the 3-4 works.

Most 3-4 blitzes work due to deception and actually bring fewer people then the defense expects.

I play 4-3, and will continue to do so, until EA programs that defense properly.

HOnestly..you might as well just convert guys like James Harrison and Demarcus Ware into 4-3 DE's

They'll record almost as many tackles over a season, as they would have at LB, and they will actually rush the passer like they should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
So you're playing, not simulating. Then some of this has t o do with play calling, sliders and you not reading you player's ratings. Isac Sopoaga is no pass rusher, but he has 94 strength and like 94 block shedding. he is going to use those ratings to apply pressure on the QB eventually. I tend to send Manny Lawson and Paris Harilson on most of my blitzes. It also helps to go into package subs and select LB pass rush for nickle normal, nickle strong, and base dime defense. When you run the dollar [3-2-6] I suggest you sub Lawson in at ROLB and Harlison in at DE over Sapoaga. Lawson is better at coverage and Harilson is better at pass rushing. The same is true for the 3-3-5 nickle. Only Lawson is already in the game at LOLB, sub in Spikes at ROLB [where he used to play] and put Harilson on the end to edge rush. These changes in game will keep Sopoaga's numbers down while making letting the "right players" get their sacks.

P.S. That's also very si, as that's what the 49ers really do. Paris Harilson was a beast of a pass rusher last year for the 49ers. While his sacks were low he forced a lot of early/bad passes. He was in Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning's face a lot.
Actually forgot about changing players do to gameflow...thanks! As for Supoaga's attributes, I think thats a big problem with madden. Due to the high block shedding and strenght a average player can look like a beast. And Dt's who in a 3-4 should be eating up gaps are rushing the passer like Warran Sapp. It wouldnt be so bad if the extra lineman or rb would help out instead of just standing there doing nothing.

If anyone goes to the post your video highlights thread you can see it on almost ever single video, a lineman or a rb is just standing there doing nothing instead of trying to pick up /help out on the biggest threat. Its insane!

For the guy who sims 4 season and stats are fine...greeeat for you lol but I like to play my games
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #13
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Here is one of the issues: I'll list some ratings for some of the league's best run stoppers and some of the league's best pass rushers.

There is nothing in the numbers that says the pass rushers should actually stand out in the pass rush. The way the R-Stick is supposed to work is it picks the best move (Power or Finesse) based off player ratings. Then there's the Block Shed rating. I've heard, but never seen confirmation, that it only affects running plays. I think it affects BOTH runs and passes.

Run Stoppers
PlayerPowerFinnesseBlock Shed
Wilfork927097
Hampton935298
Rogers976898
Jenkins946994
Pass Rushers
PlayerPowerFinnesseBlock Shed
Freeney749772
Mathis719867
Allen978988
Harrison978997
Dumervil919983

I highlighted each guys best move. So since each player will use their best move, what's the difference between say Rogers and Freeney? Rogers has 97 Power move and Freeney has 97 Finesse. So Rogers is just as likely to beat his man as Freeney is on a pass rush.

Now the only difference is SPD and ACC. While Freeney clearly dwarfs Rogers in both categories, the DTs are closer to the QB the way he sets up in the pocket. The DEs seem to have so far to run to the QB while the DT always seems one step away from the QB. In both Madden '10 and '11, I've seen more sacks from DTs.

As far as the LEs making the sacks, I think some of it is the usual Madden programming that makes LEs way better than REs, no matter what the ratings say. Another issue, is where right handed QBs drift in the pocket. When playing the CPU, I've noticed that they always drift toward their right, sometimes right into the LE. This last section is more subjective.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 10

The LE thing has been like that for a few years now in both Ncaa and Madden. If you take a player like Jared Allen and play 2 games. 1 at RE and 1 at LE. Make sure the LT is the same overall as the RT from game 1 to game 2. I can garantee the game played at LE results in the most sacks. I dont know why but thats just the way it is

Its sad when you have to fear getting sacked from a guy like Kris Jenkins or Vince Wilfork more than a Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney.

The players almost always engage so thats why its more geared towards the DT's/3-4 ENDS over the high finess/power skilled rushers like Peppers ect.... IMO its broken the way it currently is.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Threads like this make me hate the NDA I signed. Needless to say, EA is aware of these issues even before Madden 11. I'm happy we have real assignment AI for run blocking this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Threads like this make me hate the NDA I signed. Needless to say, EA is aware of these issues even before Madden 11. I'm happy we have real assignment AI for run blocking this year.
Do you know whether or not BSH is just for run plays?

Sounds like they're aware of LE dominance and they can't fix it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »