Home

Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations

This is a discussion on Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashad19
I would have to say branching animations or the ability to control how you breakout of a tackle was a great innovative feature.
I believe the 2K series came out with that first.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3
The Front Page Sports series did many of the things Madden adopted (and many of them better) back in the early 90's on the PC. Franchise, weather, full situational gameplan editor, even a play editor. I still go back and play it from time to time.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot365
The Front Page Sports series did many of the things Madden adopted (and many of them better) back in the early 90's on the PC. Franchise, weather, full situational gameplan editor, even a play editor. I still go back and play it from time to time.
agreed.

Quote:
2. Madden 99 - Franchise Mode

I would be more than happy to argue that this is one of the biggest innovations in sports gaming. I don't know how it can be argued against. By giving us multiple seasons and GM-inspired powers, Madden furthered the experience of sitting at the helm of an NFL franchise.

This mode furthered the immersion factor of the series, and it exponentially increased the replay value of the game. After all, if you were to, let's say, pilot the Dallas Cowboys to a Super Bowl and win easily, what then? Before the franchise mode, you could only start again with the same players and the same league. Lame.

....nfl primetime 95 had a multi season franchise before madden, as did college. nfl prime time also had a passing feature similar to that of nfl fever's read and lead, which both preceded the vision cone and both were implemented better.
http://www.answers.com/topic/prime-t...-deion-sanders

i'm not really sure what innovations belong to madden??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #36
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

i thought the vision cone was a very good idea. if they could somehow implement it without making the game look arcade-y it would be a HUGE innovations

Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

As others have said, Madden, as a whole, just has not been a very innovative series.

Front Page Sports Football was way ahead of all other football games back in the '90s, and 2K assumed that position of leadership in the '00s.

Madden always seems to be several years behind the games that are really pushing the sport of football forward.

The problem is that not many people had home computers back in the early '90s, and even fewer had Dreamcasts in the early '00s.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-19-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3
No love for the Hit Stick? Or Playmaker controls?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 1

What about this innovation. Madden was the first football game to effectively kill all competition, though it's not a game play innovation it was a first.

I miss competition.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #40
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
You have to include the 'scores from around the league' in Madden 92 or 93. Madden had a ticker way back then and it was dropped.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »