Home

So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kickoff?

This is a discussion on So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kickoff? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 22
Re: So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kicko

I think the question should be: "Why does everyone do the opposite of Madden and differ in real life?"

To answer the question, I don't know why everyone else does, as I can't speak for them. However, my reasoning for doing it is pretty simple. The last thing I want is risk giving my opponent two straight possessions. Especially if he is down by 10 points. Because if he kicks a FG at the end of the 1st half, then he can get the ball back with a chance to tie without ever letting me touch the ball inbetween those two scores. Conversely, if in the same situation, he kicks a FG, but I differed, I get the ball back, then if I score a TD it then becomes a 14 point game and since I'm good at holding leads, the fat lady my as well start clearing her vocal cords at that point. On the other end of the spectrum, it lets you, if you happen to be down by two possessions, to then score two times and tie or take the lead, without letting your opponent touch the pigskin.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: So why does everyone do the opposite of real life and differ on the opening kicko

There are a lot of teams that are deferring in real life now that they're allowed to. Madden really had it wrong for years.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #19
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATide
I always kick-off.

I trust me D more than my O, personally.
+1 I feel the same way.

Besides, my team, the NY JETS, decided to Kick Off every game they played last year. Most of the time they would open up the 2nd half with a scoring drive, so its not like no teams do this, because the Jets ALWAYS do it.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
I think the question should be: "Why does everyone do the opposite of Madden and differ in real life?"

To answer the question, I don't know why everyone else does, as I can't speak for them. However, my reasoning for doing it is pretty simple. The last thing I want is risk giving my opponent two straight possessions. Especially if he is down by 10 points. Because if he kicks a FG at the end of the 1st half, then he can get the ball back with a chance to tie without ever letting me touch the ball inbetween those two scores. Conversely, if in the same situation, he kicks a FG, but I differed, I get the ball back, then if I score a TD it then becomes a 14 point game and since I'm good at holding leads, the fat lady my as well start clearing her vocal cords at that point. On the other end of the spectrum, it lets you, if you happen to be down by two possessions, to then score two times and tie or take the lead, without letting your opponent touch the pigskin.
Yep this is why I always kick if I win the coin toss.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
All Star

OVR: 33

Always kickoff in Madden.

But in real life, I always want the ball first.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »