Home

NFL Rule, Madden ruling

This is a discussion on NFL Rule, Madden ruling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
NFL Rule, Madden ruling

I have searched online and through the forums and I haven't seen an answer to this.

When playing I sometimes get hit while throwing and the ball doesn't go past the line of scrimmage (I guess). It is ruled a fumble I, and almost everytime the Defense picks the ball up and runs it into the Endzone...

My question is: I thought a pass while hit didn't have to pass the line of scrimmage to be ruled incomplete... Am I wrong??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: NFL Rule, Madden ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2k2ndc
I have searched online and through the forums and I haven't seen an answer to this.

When playing I sometimes get hit while throwing and the ball doesn't go past the line of scrimmage (I guess). It is ruled a fumble I, and almost everytime the Defense picks the ball up and runs it into the Endzone...

My question is: I thought a pass while hit didn't have to pass the line of scrimmage to be ruled incomplete... Am I wrong??
Yes you are wrong, if there is an incomplete pass behind the line of scimmage, it is ruled a fumble, this is only if the reciever dropped the ball, not if the defender deflected the pass. I have seen this once this year.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

I mean I get hit, and the ball comes out but my recievers are downfield and it hit like right behind my linemen...

No eligible recievers in the general area...

Isn't that an incomplete, Because the contact makes it uneligible for grounding???
Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Rookie

jmmista's Arena

OVR: 2
On a pass attempt, as lomg as the ball goes forward and the Qbs arm was movimg forward while being hit, then its an incomplete pass. It doesnt matter whether it passes the LOS.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmista
On a pass attempt, as lomg as the ball goes forward and the Qbs arm was movimg forward while being hit, then its an incomplete pass. It doesnt matter whether it passes the LOS.

correct. technically a QB could pull some madden **** and run 30 yards back and fire a pass 25 yards and it hits behind the line of scrimmage and will be ruled an incomplete pass.

the other rule is when a QB throws a pass that is either parallel or backwards while behind the line of scrimmage. this would be ruled a fumble (techinically a "lateral"). i actually saw this in madden 10.. romo was in his own endzone and tried to throw a swing pass to his rb but missed and the ball rolled out of the endzone (on the side) and it was ruled a safety

Last edited by Dog; 08-18-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: more typos
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxallday
Yes you are wrong, if there is an incomplete pass behind the line of scimmage, it is ruled a fumble, this is only if the reciever dropped the ball, not if the defender deflected the pass. I have seen this once this year.
No. Its only a fumble if it is as backwards pass. Other wise its simply an incomplete pass or depending on the situation intentional grounding.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxallday
this isn't correct. The LOS has nothing to do with whether the play is a fumble or not in the NFL. If the ball travels backwards, then this is not a forward pass, but is instead a lateral. Thus, if dropped, you have a fumble. Any forward pass that isn't caught and hits the ground is incomplete and the play is over.

The question is whether the ball is moving forward when the QB releases it. If he releases the ball while it is not moving forward (e.g. backwards or at the top of his throwing motion), then it is a fumble.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

leo2k2ndc:

I've had several games where I thought the call on the field (fumble by qb) was questionable. It's hard to explain, but sometimes the game didn't behave as if it was a fumble until the defender picked it up. I think the announcer usually calls a fumble almost immediately, but on a few calls he didn't say anything until the defender picked it up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »