Home

Has EA's pro football experience peaked?

This is a discussion on Has EA's pro football experience peaked? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 31
Has EA's pro football experience peaked?

Madden 10 & Madden 11 are both pretty good games. The are still a lot of small frustrating issues that need be tweaked out. There wasnt a lot of difference the two above mentioned titles. Which leads me to ask that in sort a down year for Madden, why werent the little things fixed or added? Has Madden on next gen peaked?

THESE THINGS
-Importing draft classes from NCAA. This has had little to no attention paid to it since next gen arrived. Madden and NCAA have different ratings for Quarterbacks now, which leads to imported QBs having very low overalls. EA puts a ton of effort into their generated classes, so why not help us realism guys out. I hate the generated classes. It seemed to me like it was too easy to pick that 6th round, 83 overall running back. All those late round picks being rated so high completely contradicts how they rate the real rookies in each game. For example, any 6th rounder from this past years NFL draft isnt rated anywhere near that high in the game.

I wish that they would scrap the importing of NCAA classes all together and give us the ability to create draft classes like hte NBA 2k series does. That would be the best bet. It also doesnt help matters this year when every imported player has randomized equipment. QBs, RBs, and WRs end up having lineman facemasks or kicker facemasks.

-Team specific Pro Bowl Helmets. I dont really care to hear anymore about what EAs excuse for this missing next gen is, because to me, there is no excuse. If it was on the PS2 Maddens, then it definately should be on my all mighty, powerful, $650 launch price, Playstation 3.

-Restricted Free Agent Signings. Another PS2 oldie that has been ignored on next gen.

-FIX THE INJURED RESERVE LIST. Year after year, this has been broken. And this seems so fixable that it really irritates me that this hasnt been one of the small things that hasnt been fixed. You put a player on IR and he is still taking up a roster spot. This means you will have to release someone else to sign a guy if you are short at that position.

-Scout teams. A PSP version had it. Just sayin.

-Overall customization control. Why in mid franchise cant we edit any players skin color, height, weight, age, hair, and even ratings. College hoops 2k8 let you edit ratings any time. This would come in handy to rerate draft picks since we cant create our own classes. And in an instance like last year, we could have bumped up a guy like Miles Austin from his mids 60s overall rating. I would love to be able to edit or add coaches to the coaches pool. Like bring over some college coaches to fill vacant head coaching jobs. It adds realism.

-Ability to switch teams in franchise. It was in PS2, so why not in PS3.

-Franchise overall. Its just stale all together. Nothing major has been added since next gen, only things from old gen being subtracted.

Their big feature this year was GameFlow. I dont care for the feature and really dont get its hype. Hasnt this always been in the game under the name of "Ask Madden"??

Im just wondering, is Madden as good now as it will ever be? A lot of little things have been wrong or out of place for so long, that why would that change now? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by buckeye02; 08-20-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Has EA's pro football experience peaked?

It appears your concerns are mostly franchise related.

A few months before the game came out, we knew franchise wasn't touched much except for the stats engine. They did state they need to overhaul franchise mode and that would take a lot of time to overhaul.

Gameflow, to me, is not "just" ask Madden. I take the time and effort to change game plans on a weekly basis based on the team I'm up against. Real NFL teams do this on a weekly basis. Setting up the game plan yourself personalizes the game plan. If your just going to let the AI pick your offense and defense, then yeah, it probably is just ask Madden.

If I do all that work beforehand, I don't agree it's just an ask Madden feature that pops up 6 different plays and a few of those plays are repeats.

Also, locomotion was worked on at great lengths this year and run blocking.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
It appears your concerns are mostly franchise related.

A few months before the game came out, we knew franchise wasn't touched much except for the stats engine. They did state they need to overhaul franchise mode and that would take a lot of time to overhaul.

Gameflow, to me, is not "just" ask Madden. I take the time and effort to change game plans on a weekly basis based on the team I'm up against. Real NFL teams do this on a weekly basis. Setting up the game plan yourself personalizes the game plan. If your just going to let the AI pick your offense and defense, then yeah, it probably is just ask Madden.

If I do all that work beforehand, I don't agree it's just an ask Madden feature that pops up 6 different plays and a few of those plays are repeats.

Also, locomotion was worked on at great lengths this year and run blocking.
This game has taken an ugly turn for the worst with 'casual gamers' in mind.

Gameflow and such have dumbed down the experience. Even if you want to say 'I have to plan every week to focus on different teams' you are really just fooling yourself into believing that each team plays differently. They don't.

Locomotion is a great addition (I won't deny that) but the fact of the matter is that the only things that have been added are cosmetic for hardcore players and make the game easier for casual gamers.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Rookie

bpd115's Arena

OVR: 3

The problem is the development time table. What would benefit this series the most is instead of releasing Madden '12, you give us a $10-$15 dollar roster update for '12 and include the stupid online fee in that. Take the extra year of development and do things right without rushing and having to sacrifice features.

However, it's too big of a Cash Cow to do that.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
This game has taken an ugly turn for the worst with 'casual gamers' in mind.

Gameflow and such have dumbed down the experience. Even if you want to say 'I have to plan every week to focus on different teams' you are really just fooling yourself into believing that each team plays differently. They don't.

Locomotion is a great addition (I won't deny that) but the fact of the matter is that the only things that have been added are cosmetic for hardcore players and make the game easier for casual gamers.
I just don't want to say it, I do it. Also, I change the game plan of the opposing defense so they don't blitz with both corners all the time and other weird calls.

So, the Jets and the Rams play the same defense? Not in this game, sorry. I just played against these teams last night and it's not even close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have to say that this year them making little or no changes to Franchise or Superstar modes is very disappointing.

I agree making it fully customisable at any point would be a big winner for me. The IR thing should be fixed.

Like alot of "next gen" games they still havent caught up with the "last gen" in terms of depth and features. By the time we do itll be time for the next gen again.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Block,

For someone like me, I think Madden is as good as it's gonig to get on this generation of systems. There are some things that must be rebuilt, and I doubt that's going to happen until the game has to be prepared for those systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I have 3 problems with this feature:

1. EA analyzed some data that told them the average gamer was only using a few plays. IMO, having the CPU pick plays for you was not the answer. Improving the playbook, play calling mechanics & AI were.

2. EA also wanted to make games quicker with this feature. Well, if I have to spend a half hour or more setting up the gameplan, there's no time saved. And worst, the half hour spent gameplanning is all gameplanning, no playing, going completely against what they were trying to accomplish.

3. The feature needs a lot of work. Defensively, it's not analyzing personnel correctly. And it's pulling plays from a bunch of pre-packaged schemes. Offensively, it's not accounting for some situations, making the CPU look stupid at times. EA has proven to be very slow improving new features, and there's a lot of work to do. IMO, Madden's "engines" are maxed out and Game Flow / Game Planning will be lacking until other areas of the game are drastically improved.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Block,

For someone like me, I think Madden is as good as it's gonig to get on this generation of systems. There are some things that must be rebuilt, and I doubt that's going to happen until the game has to be prepared for those systems.

I have 3 problems with this feature:

1. EA analyzed some data that told them the average gamer was only using a few plays. IMO, having the CPU pick plays for you was not the answer. Improving the playbook, play calling mechanics & AI were.

2. EA also wanted to make games quicker with this feature. Well, if I have to spend a half hour or more setting up the gameplan, there's no time saved. And worst, the half hour spent gameplanning is all gameplanning, no playing, going completely against what they were trying to accomplish.

3. The feature needs a lot of work. Defensively, it's not analyzing personnel correctly. And it's pulling plays from a bunch of pre-packaged schemes. Offensively, it's not accounting for some situations, making the CPU look stupid at times. EA has proven to be very slow improving new features, and there's a lot of work to do. IMO, Madden's "engines" are maxed out and Game Flow / Game Planning will be lacking until other areas of the game are drastically improved.
I agree with all three. I knew going in that setting up my own game plan wouldn't save any time playing the game.

Hopefully, they can build on it further.

I know on Sundays teams have about 35 plays to choose from.(not counting the different formations)

Also, they did do the offensive game planning correct, but I disagree a bit with the yardages.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »