Home

Am I the only one?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Am I the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Well, I'm a 90% online player and the lack of pass D makes the game feel like Arena Football. Punts are non-existent, FG's are failed drives, & turnovers are **** b/c of how impossible pass D is. It seems like the team w/ more possessions always wins. ALWAYS. The last minutes of halves are chess matches deciding who will get the ball last b/c a possession is essentially a TD in this game. Hopefully the upcoming patch improves this issue.

Offline, however, is enjoyable w/ sliders. I love playing in defensive struggles against my bro.

Why did it block out e p i c?
Ok this is where I differ. I do not play online , so this is a huge reason why Im enjoying the game.

I'll jump online when the patch releases.

Im ready to do what you and your brother do. Invite some friends over and play Madden like the good ole days.

Man its been 5 years since we have done anything like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammofan
I love this version of Madden. Already played franchise mode 10x more than previous years based solely on how I like the game play more.
That is exactly what im loving about this game. They finally have good gameplay. Im playing the heck out of this and NCAA, and man it feels great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
inside joke with the mods. There is a thread in the non-sports board about E P I C mickey and for the longest time I thought the thread starter had named it "s-word Mickey".

To the OP, this Madden is the best the game has been on the field in pretty much forever. Last year was a good effort, but the flats issue and telegraphed cpu blitzes ultimately made the game way too easy, which hurt the longevity.

Hopefully we see as much attention to passing as we saw to running, and they drop in whatever (hopefully) awesome franchise mode they've been toiling away on for 2 or 3 years.
You pretty much nailed it. I would also like to add a smoother frame rate.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I am with you. I am a 2k guy at heart, previous versions of Madden have rarely held my attention. I am really enjoying the game play this year.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

One thing that is bothering me is the CPU offense.

All I heard was that this game played like an offensive orgy. I have custom sliders that have raised effectiveness of defense and lowered offensive power...but the CPU offense is BAD. Really bad. Passing plays consist of either dumpoffs to the sideline that are either broken up by my defenders or attempted toe drags, and the other option apparently is the CPU standing in the pocket for 5 seconds and launching a hopeless bomb down the field. I'm playing as the bills without my starting MLBs (3-4 defense), and my starting FS out. The CPU offense still can't seem to do anything right.

I don't get why every franchise playthrough with any team is a winning season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #12
Rookie

Shizz420's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Well, I'm a 90% online player and the lack of pass D makes the game feel like Arena Football. Punts are non-existent, FG's are failed drives, & turnovers are **** b/c of how impossible pass D is. It seems like the team w/ more possessions always wins. ALWAYS. The last minutes of halves are chess matches deciding who will get the ball last b/c a possession is essentially a TD in this game. Hopefully the upcoming patch improves this issue.

Offline, however, is enjoyable w/ sliders. I love playing in defensive struggles against my bro.

Why did it block out e p i c?
I very much agree with this.

The Pass D is horrible because a) there is jet-pack animation that makes slants almost unguardable, b) safties are still dumb as $hit and c) there is a money play that is used online and has existed still for 3 years, and it's actually gotten worse in this year's that last. Basically, pick a slot screen where the QB isn't confined to a spot, and throw to the reciever who is running a 15 yard in over the middle. No matter it is zone of man, unless you are usering more defenders in the area where the QB is going to throw the ball to, the WR will also usually break the first tackle and have plenty of green to run.

Also, they still haven't fixed when people quit/concede that you can't get your highlights. I had probably the best ballsy throw-and-catch on a 4th down and 1 from the 20 with the Packers and hitting Jennings in the back of the endzone for a jumping and tapping toes TD.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #13
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamertom
My money is on the OS team locking this post up and saying impressions thread.
only if people start to disagree that madden is fun. Oops, I didn't type that did I?

I actually didn't get into madden until Madden 64 [obviously for the N64.] later i would get Madden 2000, '02 for my game cube along with 04 a few years later, then an XBox and 2k5, Madden 06, 07 and 08, trade that in for a 360 and 08 for the 360, 09, M10 and now M11. I really enjoyed playing Madden 03 [my friend bought it that year and we played his copy] and 04, fell in love with 2k5, didn't care much for 06, love 07 to this day, and wasn't much of a fan for next gen Madden until M10. M10 was nice, but had some game killers for me. I really enjoy M11. it's the best next gen madden and is getting close to being the best Madden in my eyes. I am still looking for improved presentation, franchise mode and things like consecutive hit tackling.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-23-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Madden has been inching towards 2K style gameplay since Ian took the reigns, which is ironic when you consider how many Madden fans claimed Madden was more realistic. I haven't played Madden 2011 yet, but I'm playing NCAA 2011 and IMHO it's the best EA Sports football game to date. It still has all kinds of problems, most of which I can look over, but when it's compared to their past few year offerings, it blows them out of the water.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #15
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm halfway there. Even though I was a 2k guy since 2k4 which I think was better than 2k5 as far as core gameplay went Its not 2k4 or 5 that makes me roll my eyes when I play madden 2011 its Backbreaker. If you really get into that game it makes Madden 11's passing game feel overpowered or at least too easy, while the blocking and tackling just feels old and stale. Take away Backbreaker and I'm with you all the way because everything else about Madden 2011 can be fixed with sliders when you play offline and the rest of the game is real solid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I am enjoying Madden 11 this year. My first few games with no adjusted sliders I wasn't very pleased b/c there was no defense on either my part or the CPU's part. I adjusted the sliders a bit and now the game is right where I want it to be. I'm getting defense battles, high-scoring affairs and everything inbetween.

I think EA really had a strong year. Madden 11 is good and should only get better after the patches. NCAA 11 is great, and is a candidate for Sports Game Of The Year, imo. Some people are knocking the game after the second patch, but it still plays great to me.

I try not to read a lot of the negative threads on the boards, and that seems to help in my enjoyment level of the game as well.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »