Home

Vision Cone Discussion

This is a discussion on Vision Cone Discussion within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Vision Cone Discussion

Cursor based pasing would work if implemented correctly. It's the only way to make passing challenging and actually give you a sense of accomplishment for completing a pass. The problem is Madden is so scripted that there's no way in it's current form would it work, you simply don't have enough user control over your players.

If you could control a cursor with the R stick and use the R trigger -or- R2 button to control the strength (pressure sensative) of the pass and release the button when you want to throw the pass that would be sweet.

But like previous posters have mentioned, EA isn't going to do anything inovative or that revolutionary...it would upset to many Madden Gomers who like running around behind the line of scrimmage for 20 seconds and blindly throwing a pass across the field 60 yards down field for a huge gain (with their eyes closed). Can you imagine the uproar if they actually took that away? Man these message boards would light up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
actualy Im referring to the game in general. Its not very easy to distinguish almost any quarterback. There may be small differences in accuracy in accuracy especially when you talk about mid to long range passes which is the way it should be in real life. Ive messed with the sliders and as Ive said before it just doesnt do it because I can make the same decisions with aaron rodgers or Manning, brees, favre, rivers etc as I can with freeman sanchez stafford, alex smith etc and just as quick. The accuracy is actually a very minor difference that should be a supplementation to the decision making or reads. A mechanic that slows my decision making or forces me to take longer to throw the ball with freeman instead of manning is whats needed. Im talking about user controlled qb's here not the computer robo qb;s which can indeed be adjusted with sliders. what Im referring to is I can make the same decisions with every qb just as quickly so whats the point of me going after one in franchise. The vision cone is needed so the user can have some incentive to go after that star qb or future star to have that ability to quickly make a read and throw the ball instead of every qb having that ability, this is on top of accuracy, the average qb I can still easily win games with as compared to an elite one, Accuracy starts to truly matter only when Im dealing with 3rd stringers or qb's rated in the mid 60's and lower, there needs to be something more to challenge the user and give him incentive in franchise mode to search for that elite qb, right now, there just simply isnt enough.
Let me ask you this. How different in accuracy should they be from each other?

You mention two groups "aaron rodgers ,Manning, brees, favre, and rivers etc , and then freeman , sanchez ,stafford, and alex smith"

From what you mentioned there the accuracy difference from each QB is not a big gap at all. If anything all the guys you mentioned have good accuracy, but some have a stronger arm then the next, or a quicker release, but to think that their accuracy is that much different. Nope I just do not see it.

The only thing I would like to see is a difference in speed with their delivery and a difference in the arm strenght. Now I have not looked at the qb's in that way in the game, but if anyone has , and if you can confirmed if they nailed this part of it or not? Then please do so. Now if they did nail it then there is nothing wrong with the QB's in this game, and the only other thing we need is a new passing mechanic.

I know you whole reason for the thread was to feel the differnce of the QB's , but many have to realize the NFL has a ton on solid QB's , and what sets them apart is the cast of players around them, and not their accuracy. Most of them are accurate.

Like I said the difference is arm strength ,and the speed of thier release. Then you will feel the difference.

As for the vision cone. I would love it back, and the only thing I would change is no visible cone on the field. I would just have it when the QB looks at his receiver then his icon will appear. Other than that no icons will appear unless the QB is looking at that receiver.
This way the defense can see where your looking and the QB can know he is locked on this target.

No cone on the field, and the game will look even more natural with less icons on the field.

Also bring back maxium passing. That can also be tied into his accuracy, delviery release speed, and arm strenght.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 08-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT

Other than Madden's passing being like your favorite old leather, I don't know why there is so much opposition to changing anything about a passing mechanic that is over two decades old.

When posters "whine" about Madden, the Madden proponents are ready with the "no game is perfect" shpiel. Yet when you say nothing needs to be changed, you are implying that the game, is in fact, perfect.
Strategy Pad, anyone?

Just saying.

Learning curve vs feeling comfy in the ole controls for the past 20 years.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm sure this is a consideration.

Change is good, well, most of the time.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Let me ask you this. How different in accuracy should they be from each other?

You mention two groups "aaron rodgers ,Manning, brees, favre, and rivers etc , and then freeman , sanchez ,stafford, and alex smith"

From what you mentioned there the accuracy difference from each QB is not a big gap at all. If anything all the guys you mentioned have good accuracy, but some have a stronger arm then the next, or a quicker release, but to think that their accuracy is that much different. Nope I just do not see it.

The only thing I would like to see is a difference in speed with their delivery and a difference in the arm strenght. Now I have not looked at the qb's in that way in the game, but if anyone has , and if you can confirmed if they nailed this part of it or not? Then please do so. Now if they did nail it then there is nothing wrong with the QB's in this game, and the only other thing we need is a new passing mechanic.

I know you whole reason for the thread was to feel the differnce of the QB's , but many have to realize the NFL has a ton on solid QB's , and what sets them apart is the cast of players around them, and not their accuracy. Most of them are accurate.

Like I said the difference is arm strength ,and the speed of thier release. Then you will feel the difference.

As for the vision cone. I would love it back, and the only thing I would change is no visible cone on the field. I would just have it when the QB looks at his receiver then his icon will appear. Other than that no icons will appear unless the QB is looking at that receiver.
This way the defense can see where your looking and the QB can know he is locked on this target.

No cone on the field, and the game will look even more natural with less icons on the field.

Also bring back maxium passing. That can also be tied into his accuracy, delviery release speed, and arm strenght.

You misunderstood him. He is saying the same thing as you that accuracy isn't enough of a differentiation between QBs, which is why he wants something else, like the VC, to further differentiate them.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Strategy Pad, anyone?

Just saying.

Learning curve vs feeling comfy in the ole controls for the past 20 years.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm sure this is a consideration.

Change is good, well, most of the time.

Strategy Pad may not have been the RIGHT change, but that doesn't mean no change was needed. Even for something that no one complained about like the audible system. Just because no one complained about it, doesn't mean it is the best mechanic. In fact, it isn't the best mechanic for audibling. APF 2K's was much better. Don't believe me? Ask Coach Ruckus. The biggest Madden head alive lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcJ9K30m0w
Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Strategy Pad may not have been the RIGHT change, but that doesn't mean no change was needed. Even for something that no one complained about like the audible system. Just because no one complained about it, doesn't mean it is the best mechanic. In fact, it isn't the best mechanic for audibling. APF 2K's was much better. Don't believe me? Ask Coach Ruckus. The biggest Madden head alive lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcJ9K30m0w
No thanks. Just saved myself 10 minutes.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

Over the course of football gaming, we've seen several types of passing systems. I dare say the only successful football franchises used button passing...

Tecmo Super Bowl - Button Passing
GameDay - Button Passing
NFL 2K - Button Passing
Madden - Button Passing

It's no secret that the biggest failures in football gaming history were not button based mechanics - including Madden's QB Vision. It's simple really... Screw with the button passing mechanic for a football game and your franchise FAILS.

If you want to sell a football game, you need a button passing mechanic. It's the only way to ensure you sell more than 1 million copies.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Over the course of football gaming, we've seen several types of passing systems. I dare say the only successful football franchises used button passing...

Tecmo Super Bowl - Button Passing
GameDay - Button Passing
NFL 2K - Button Passing
Madden - Button Passing

It's no secret that the biggest failures in football gaming history were not button based mechanics - including Madden's QB Vision. It's simple really... Screw with the button passing mechanic for a football game and your franchise FAILS.

If you want to sell a football game, you need a button passing mechanic. It's the only way to ensure you sell more than 1 million copies.

Later

Just about every Football game ever made uses this mechanic. That is not proof that this is the only viable mechanic. And saying that you have to use button passing or the game will fail is total conjecture.

Just about everyone in the world uses Fossil fuels too. That's working out great lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »