Home

Madden Yearly "Subscription" vs Disc (Idea)

This is a discussion on Madden Yearly "Subscription" vs Disc (Idea) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Madden Yearly "Subscription" vs Disc (Idea)

I think I came up with a good solution so satisfy both the Online and Offline Madden Nations. I think EA should continue to have a yearly disc release that continues to focus on continuing to improve the offline experience year by year. In addition to that, there should be a scaled down, online only "subscription" that focuses strictly on online play. Here is my reasoning:

It seems that currently more than half of the Madden gamers play offline and enjoy it. That's cool, just not for me. I have never played a full offline franchise, mini-games, or Madden moments. I'm just not interested. But since many do, Madden should continue to upgrade the game for those gamers. The upgrade merits the full price of the game as long as it continues to offer a better and improved experience yearly.

For the Online gamers, maybe charge a yearly or monthly subscription service for just online gamers and those who like Online Franchise. Tweaks and downloads can be offered regularly. Make this cost around $5 per month. And let the offline gamers have a code for online access in case they want to play online

There seems to be two distinct communities, and EA seems incapable of making a satisfactory game for both. It is not fair that offline gamers have sliders and can customize their offline experience, while the online gamers wait for potential improvements a month away. Additionally, EA could buff up the online experience for those who love competitive play while not having to worry about mixing in features for casual gamers.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Madden Yearly "Subscription" vs Disc (Idea)

I like the idea behind it, but it just ends up costing too much from what I understand of the possibility.

PS3 User-

59.99+tax for Madden disc
$5/month for Online Pass= $60.00

Total= 119.99+tax from the disc. Not including accelerators if people are into them.

360 User-

49.99 for 12 Months of XBOX Live (from GameStop)
$5/month for Online Pass

Total= 169.98+tax from the disc. Not including accelerators if people are into them.

Unbelievably costly. I'm not sure if that is what you meant but I see no way that consumers would be into it. However, I do agree it is unfair that online is so bare. I'm an offline gamer, and I also agree that both modes are below where they should be.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Will never work.....People would start whining about the monthly fees. Besides nowadays with sports games, it is more like 90% of the people buy it to play it online for they can brag about their win/loss record and their online rank.

Most people I know play the online mode of every game they buy and rarely if ever play the offline. Where as me, I can careless about online because the annoying whining voice kids on there annoy me.

I mean why you think so many people got a PS3 ? Because their online is FREE. They already throwing hissy fits right now because Sony going to start charging for some of their online features.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I like the idea behind it, but it just ends up costing too much from what I understand of the possibility.

PS3 User-

$5/month for Online Pass= $60.00

Total= 119.99+tax from the disc. Not including accelerators if people are into them.

360 User-

49.99 for 12 Months of XBOX Live (from GameStop)
$5/month for Online Pass

Total= 169.98+tax from the disc. Not including accelerators if people are into them.

Unbelievably costly. I'm not sure if that is what you meant but I see no way that consumers would be into it. However, I do agree it is unfair that online is so bare. I'm an offline gamer, and I also agree that both modes are below where they should be.
I was proposing that those who play offline buy the disc which would include all the Franchise stuff and single player modes. The cost would be as it is now, $59.99. Also give them a code to get online free like it is now.

Those who have no interest in the full version can just access a game online for a monthly fee (or) a one time fee of say, $20, w/o the single player stuff. It would not include franchise modes and just be a download.

Alot of RPG games and FPS games do this already with expansion packs, new maps, etc, for a fee.

I think EA could then develop a better online experience as well as making a quality offline game w/o having to cater to both online/offline gamers which seems to be always make the game come up short. The offline crowd would have their sliders thus hardcore and casual gamers can set the offline experience to their liking. The online crowd would be a more SIM style experience for online competitors, with EA making the neccessary enhancements and patches so we don't have the situation we have now....an online game for newcomers

Last edited by humpdump66; 08-26-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

It sounds good to me, although doesn't make much sense to have it at $5 a month. Maybe I am not getting it but that equals $60 a year, which is the same price as the game. And if you're saying if you get the game that you don't have to pay a monthly fee, than what's the downside of just buying the full game every year, which is how it is now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
I think I came up with a good solution so satisfy both the Online and Offline Madden Nations. I think EA should continue to have a yearly disc release that continues to focus on continuing to improve the offline experience year by year. In addition to that, there should be a scaled down, online only "subscription" that focuses strictly on online play. Here is my reasoning:

It seems that currently more than half of the Madden gamers play offline and enjoy it. That's cool, just not for me. I have never played a full offline franchise, mini-games, or Madden moments. I'm just not interested. But since many do, Madden should continue to upgrade the game for those gamers. The upgrade merits the full price of the game as long as it continues to offer a better and improved experience yearly.

For the Online gamers, maybe charge a yearly or monthly subscription service for just online gamers and those who like Online Franchise. Tweaks and downloads can be offered regularly. Make this cost around $5 per month. And let the offline gamers have a code for online access in case they want to play online

There seems to be two distinct communities, and EA seems incapable of making a satisfactory game for both. It is not fair that offline gamers have sliders and can customize their offline experience, while the online gamers wait for potential improvements a month away. Additionally, EA could buff up the online experience for those who love competitive play while not having to worry about mixing in features for casual gamers.

Any thoughts?
I love the Madden MMO or subscription idea. I think it would be genius if done the right way and at a reasonable price subscription-wise. Rather than coming a time a year when they stop working on Madden 11 to work on Madden 12, we would just have Madden all year-round with monthly and/or weekly updates. No more Madden 12, Madden 13, 14, etc. etc., it would just become Madden (or Madden Online whichever name you prefer).

And if it can get work for RPGs like World of Warcraft then why not sports games?

Last edited by mike291md; 08-26-2010 at 01:17 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »