Home

Asking Madden

This is a discussion on Asking Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Asking Madden

Okay, so on Defense I always ask madden. Im not comfortable calling my own defensive plays, its almost became a rule of mine. So I usually pick one of the three plays that I feel will stop the CPU the best.

I am not getting stops as well in M11. Which is resulting in high scoring games, close, but high scoring. Is this due to me asking madden on defense every play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Asking Madden

Ask Madden will put you in some precarious situations, but that's neither here nor there this year. This year the defense is... troubled to put it kindly. So it wouldn't matter is it was "Ask Buddy Ryan" making perfect calls the whole game, more than likely you'd still be getting torched.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

It isn't impossible to play defense against the computer in this game. I just playedan OTP with a friend of mine against the computer Colts. My friend is new to the game so he just played D-Line and I was the LB. We were the Jets, his favorite team for years [he's happy they are finally good.] We smoked the computer on All-Pro 35-17. Manning threw two picks to the computer controlled Antonio Cromartie, one was computer controlled returned for a TD.

One of the keys is to understand your teams defensive ratings. As the Jets, it helps to call a lot of man coverage and allow OLB/LE Jason Taylor pass rush. Since Taylor plays OLB, I tend to go into nickle and dime formations and use the formation substitutions [on screen prompt before picking play] and select LB pass rush. I also tend to call a lot of Double X and use the coverage audible to press coverage because Cromartie has poor press coverage, so that's why I call double X to give him help, however Revis has great press coverage.

That was just an example of knowing your entire defense's strengths and weaknesses to put them in the best position on 3rd down to make a stop. Like I said, it led to two picks and one for a TD. I am a 49ers fan, so I call a lot of cover three zone blitzes and cover three base zones. The 49ers have slow defensive backs and most of them also have low man coverage and high zone coverage. Just going through the formations and calling a different cover three zone blitz every play while mixing in base zones and cover two zones/zone blitzes works for me as well. Knowing how to maximize your teams strengths while minimizing their weaknesses goes a long way to improving your play.

On top of that, if you can run a ball control offense and allow your defense some time to rest [real life strategy] you will do better as well. I assume you are using the rams. I suggest you [suck on an egg ] use S. Jackson to grind the ball up the middle often on offense and try not to lean on Sam Bradford too much. Call a pass on 1st or 2ed down and try to make 2 or 3rd down shorter so you can run for he first. If you fail to complete the pass on 1st, think about running on 2ed down. it's not good that often to call "pass-pass-pass-punt." Your defense won't be too happy with you doing that.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

if you're asking madden on defense you're not going to get good results, especially if you play a human player who knows what they're doing.

if you want to get better at madden you need to understand the defense and what plays work in certain situations. i suggest start learning to call your own plays.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

On top of that, if you can run a ball control offense and allow your defense some time to rest [real life strategy] you will do better as well. I assume you are using the rams. I suggest you [suck on an egg ] use S. Jackson to grind the ball up the middle often on offense and try not to lean on Sam Bradford too much. Call a pass on 1st or 2ed down and try to make 2 or 3rd down shorter so you can run for he first. If you fail to complete the pass on 1st, think about running on 2ed down. it's not good that often to call "pass-pass-pass-punt." Your defense won't be too happy with you doing that.
Thats exactly my thinking. I try to mix it up. Pass-run-run, pass-pass-run, run-run-pass, etc. I usually try to run HB Dives and bust up the middle, or the occasional toss play, and pray my blockers get the job done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 33

it sucks that ask-madden only has 3 plays. I liked it way better in ncaa where ask coach gave 18 plays.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I never knew why people use Ask Madden unless you a foreign person and don't have a clue about football. Using Ask Madden is like giving the controller to a 2 year old baby and saying push a button for daddy.

The results going to be the same, a dumb arse play being called that isn't relevant to the situation.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I think that you'll find that the AI and the plays ask madden/gameflow calls will improve. Just a hunch, with no basis for facts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »