Home

Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

This is a discussion on Has the lack of defense ruined it for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Has the lack of defense ruined it for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Honestly, the more I play this game the more I think some simple tuning will make it A LOT better.

NCAA had some MAJOR flaws over the first month of it's release.
I know but NCAA 11 was patch the first day of the game. Then came the tuning set ( sports game should have this feature) and then they came out with their second patch within the first 3 weeks of the game.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 12

I just gave you two detailed examples of how the Madden designers have dropped the ball on replicating actual football execution. these are not my opinions, they are facts that are apparent to anyone who has a basic understanding of how football should be played. Like others have said, if you have fun playing "Maddenball" then you probably don't have an issue with Madden in the first place. Most people who want the game to play like it does on fridays, saturdays, and sundays would like to use the same strategies that work on the field.

i talked specifically about how man coverage and cover 2 don't work in this game. however there is a laundry list of fundmamentals that have gone completely ignored by the Madden franchise. there is no outside contain responsibility, no gap responsibility, no good mechanic to cover wheel routes....*sigh* the list goes on.

your reply that "Perhaps instead of complaining, some of us should spend more time practicing and learning." is a flat out cop out, and a lazy rebuttal at that. I'm not interested in reprogramming my entire defensive setup before each play just to get the AI to work correctly (line audibles, LB audibles, bump and run every play etc.)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #75
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It's unplayable for many reason, defense being one of them. For me, the problem on defense starts in the huddle. Not being able to call defenses I want kills it before they break the huddle. Then, the lack of defensive assignments lowers the game in the ground. The lack of a true edge rush, not being able to shade DBs, not being able to press DBs separately or bring the SS down in the box, the "stunts", the psychic o-line, ect is the dirt on the coffin. And this is offline. I'm not sure I've ever played a game online.

And, for me, it's not about the scores. It's about gameplay & animations. It's about how little there is to do when on defense. My typical play goes: search the playbook for a defense that doesn't exist, pick one that has the coverage I want, shake my head at not being able to pick the d-line/LB scheme I want, start the play with d-linemen, play patty cake with an o-linemen, switch to the closest defender, make the tackle.
I recently picked up the game used and play online (all-madden). I can play decent defense compared to what people who are complaining have said but this is my problem with the defense.

The lack of wr shading or individual bump and run really hurts coverage schemes while the lack of individual line stunts/assignments limits what you can do for pass rush or gap coverage.

It's frustrating because both ps2 games did defense much better. Madden ps2 had the coverage adjustments at least and 2k has all the presnap options. This is an Apex video, but the video he is showing is "Coach Ruckus", big time Madden fan describing what Madden defense should be like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/apexisfr.../9/fMcJ9K30m0w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
I just gave you two detailed examples of how the Madden designers have dropped the ball on replicating actual football execution. these are not my opinions, they are facts that are apparent to anyone who has a basic understanding of how football should be played. Like others have said, if you have fun playing "Maddenball" then you probably don't have an issue with Madden in the first place. Most people who want the game to play like it does on fridays, saturdays, and sundays would like to use the same strategies that work on the field.

i talked specifically about how man coverage and cover 2 don't work in this game. however there is a laundry list of fundmamentals that have gone completely ignored by the Madden franchise. there is no outside contain responsibility, no gap responsibility, no good mechanic to cover wheel routes....*sigh* the list goes on.

your reply that "Perhaps instead of complaining, some of us should spend more time practicing and learning." is a flat out cop out, and a lazy rebuttal at that. I'm not interested in reprogramming my entire defensive setup before each play just to get the AI to work correctly (line audibles, LB audibles, bump and run every play etc.)
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you or letting EA slide...

I guess my problem with what you have said at this point is that it is starting to sound more and more angry. I own and play Madden 11, that doesn't mean I paid for it. I managed to get it for free and that is the only reason I have it... That and the fact that it is the only option for NFL football gaming right now.

Say what you want about coverages and such and everything else you have made points about. This has been an issue in Madden for YEARS. I don't know what to tell you. Stop reading about NFL Football games, stop buying or renting Madden.

The best thing you can do is keep your anger in check before you rant a little too hard and get banned.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #77
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I agree with BezO that the D needs to become more like NFL defense. Defense 101.

On other note, the Madden teams seams to have added D to the coverage on the last roster update over the weekend.

It's been confirmed by Playmakers(slider maker) and others.

I'm asking the folks that play online only(phins86) and joe(hum vs hum) if you have downloaded the newest roster(not the one that came from the game) and noticed the improvements to coverage and pursuit angles.

Sorry KJ, 10 minute long YouTube videos plus YouTube challenges don't have time for.

Yesterday, using the new roster and on all-pro, I noticed the coverage and pursuit angles were better. Just thought it would be noticeable elsewhere besides offline.

Last edited by roadman; 08-31-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 12

I'm not angry. I'm just not mincing my words. I am however disappointed in the product in the final product this year. It doesn't matter if you bought the game or not. If you enjoy it, then by all means, continue to play and have fun. I envy you for that.

but you can't glaze over the issues this game has by simply calling folks lazy. i can't tell you how many hours I spent researching ways to effectively play defense without having to audible the heck out of everything each play.

also, let the mods worry about banning folks. I've presented an argument with facts and evidence, while disrespecting no one. If that kind of thing gets you banned then i'm not sure what the point of posting is.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #79
Rookie

nolesfan69's Arena

OVR: 3

So do you guys think if Locomotion was more polished that this will solve
most of the issues with defense. The locomotion in NCAA 11 seems very
good and I can play some great defense. I am sure when the patches
come out in September than Madden will be even better than NCAA.

3 time ACC Champs- 2011, 2012 and 2015
1 time Orange Bowl Champs- 2011
National Champions - 2012
Bowl Games 5-2
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #80
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
I'm not angry. I'm just not mincing my words. I am however disappointed in the product in the final product this year. It doesn't matter if you bought the game or not. If you enjoy it, then by all means, continue to play and have fun. I envy you for that.

but you can't glaze over the issues this game has by simply calling folks lazy. i can't tell you how many hours I spent researching ways to effectively play defense without having to audible the heck out of everything each play.

also, let the mods worry about banning folks. I've presented an argument with facts and evidence, while disrespecting no one. If that kind of thing gets you banned then i'm not sure what the point of posting is.
Arguably, it's not the final product.

The newest roster update has tightened up pass coverages and pursuit angles. It's been confirmed by a roster maker and many others here.

Plus, the final product won't be until the end of September or early October when the the last patch is applied.

Just saying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »