Home

What is Considered Cheesing?

This is a discussion on What is Considered Cheesing? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: What is Considered Cheesing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus21
Going for it on 4th down all the time

Thats not cheesing, because its a risk reward decision, if they fail, the game is basically over if you score a TD.
But 9 out of 10 times when a player goes for it on 4th down and they fail, especially when they do it deep in their own territory, they quit.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Rookie

MrCheese's Arena

OVR: 1

Cheese is taking advantage of the AI in the game. Like the QB spy glitch lol

Lag switches I also consider cheese and cheating

V Davis, D Clark, J Whitten, A Gates... I almost consider those players to be glitches lol, Good TE's are a pain in the $@S to cover. Davis is the hardest with his 90 speed lol. there are teams in Madden that don't have a WR with that kind of speed... how in the heck is a MLB going to cover that lol. (that's just me crying)

But taking advantage of the AI to do something that you know damn well wasn't designed to work that way.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

Cheesing is anything you do that your opponent has no clue how to stop and that allows you to win. At least that seems to be the attitude of some people.

I kid only slightly.

I was once accused of "fullback dive cheese" (in jest ... I THINK) because I ran my fullback effectively about a dozen times and he couldn't stop it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDawg35
Cheesing is anything you do that your opponent has no clue how to stop and that allows you to win. At least that seems to be the attitude of some people.

I kid only slightly.

I was once accused of "fullback dive cheese" (in jest ... I THINK) because I ran my fullback effectively about a dozen times and he couldn't stop it.
It's not cheese, it's "unSIM" much like the fourth down issues. No team runs there FB's that much, do as you wish with your team it's just not a SIM concept. I really feel like people confuse the two quite often.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
It's not cheese, it's "unSIM" much like the fourth down issues. No team runs there FB's that much, do as you wish with your team it's just not a SIM concept. I really feel like people confuse the two quite often.
I think that was the point of his post. Just because you wouldn't necessarily do something in real life doesn't mean it's "cheesing" like some people say. Example:

Not Cheese: Some guys will onside every kick. Fair enough, it's a risk/reward thing.

Cheese: Lining up unexpectedly in an onside formation and forcing the audible of the defense to the onside formation. After they complete the audible, the "cheeser" audibles again to regular kickoff formation, forcing them to audible on the receiving side again. As he finishes the audible, the "cheeser" audibles again to onside...and on...and on...and on into perpetuity until finally you give up and the "cheeser" gets the unfair advantage of kicking to an unprepared receiving side.

Cheese: Running a play that is IMPOSSIBLE to defend against, usually exploiting a bug in CPU AI or coding.

Not Cheese: Getting beat on the same play over and over again because you don't adjust to defend against it.

I think some people just get frustrated that human players don't always play logically...like it's a rule that their opponent should follow common sense or something.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 15

If an NFL team could cheese it's way to victory by running the same play every down, they would. 'Establish the run' is oft quoted, and if you can get five yards a play running the ball every play, you'ld be stupid to throw it. Obviously, NFL teams react to the Offence and start stacking against the run, taking away the easy yards.

So cheesing is actually a boanfide, real world tactic. In fact I would go as far to say it is the one defining tactic in any team sport, as the opposision has to tailor their game to stop teams from using their star players in dominant fashion.

It's a slightly different thing in a computer game though, using an exploit to gain a virtual Win, to be at the top of a group of peers you're never likely to meet? I got better things to do with my time! However, in defence of 'The Cheeser', he payed the same as everyone else for his game, and deserves the chance to enjoy it however he feels. What would be best if people just admitted it before they played, and then people could find the match ups they wanted online.

Last edited by Vitch; 08-31-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

from my experiance most consider cheese to be exploiting a overly effective play over and over again.

The typical scenario (example is from Madden 10, lots of people complained about the HB off tackle. Rather then attempting to find a defense to defend against it most just simply submit to not being able to stop this play. Rather then working for a way to stop it...they admit defeat)

most time someone that complains of cheese...needs to ultimatly reevalutate there idea of how they play the game. Complaining about certain plays without attempting a resolution for them shouldnt happen!

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwsFoe
I've only run into one form of cheesing so far while playing madden. When I was on offense the guy I was playing could so a 5 man blitz and now matter who I kept in to protect me he could get right up the middle and I had no time to throw. I tried screens and everything I could think of and I couldn't really get by it. His guy would get passed the line untouched.
I agree happen to me in franchise online. Guy pissed me off the way he cheated, it needs to be fixed, very unrealistic

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »