Home

don't feel too bad about drafting A-pot mid80s late in the draft

This is a discussion on don't feel too bad about drafting A-pot mid80s late in the draft within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #17
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: don't feel too bad about drafting A-pot mid80s late in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunAndShoot
Its not hard to tell who the talented players are in t he later rounds just by looking at the "ratings pentagon" If they could just do away with that and give us the tendencies of the player e.g. scrambler, pocket, possession, speed, etc. that would be much better
Yeah... the pentagon is the biggest problem. It's almost a dead giveaway.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeg1713
late round gems are what i look for rather than trading up for an early first round pick. what i wanna know is has anyone signed an undrafted player that has been a gem? i haven't gotten one and think they should make more undrafted players that turn out to be superstars

You actually won't be able to sign undrafted players, because once you go to sign your draft picks and it simulates the rest, the CPU will sign anyone not drafted in free agency before you get a chance to. After the draft, go to Player Management and look at the Free Agents. You'll see some rookies, but not all of the undrafted ones that you'll remember were not picked up during the actual draft.

In NFL Head Coach 09, after the draft was over, you were given the opportunity to bid against other teams to sign a player not taken in the draft. It was better than how they do it in Madden 09, 10, 11, and probably will be until they change franchise.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #19
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm confused. Why do people want the scouting fixed when it seems to be the only thing in Franchise that works correctly i.e., Scouts blow picks all the time and miss gems.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
I'm confused. Why do people want the scouting fixed when it seems to be the only thing in Franchise that works correctly i.e., Scouts blow picks all the time and miss gems.
You can read the pentagon. The problem is you have to handicap yourself in order to miss a pick. You have to hire bad scouting, or not scout, or use NCAA imported classes (seeing as how there are little to ZERO chance of a gem in those classes)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #21
Rookie

permanent1's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Now, I'm an Eagle fan, but I like to think I'm more objective than a lot of other Birds fans. Couple questions:

A) Yes, regular season, Romo has shown he can hang with good teams. Outside one blowout victory in the wild card round (to an at that point imploded Eagle team)..What has he done to be "really really good"? I don't count Pro Bowls, as it's massively overrated (it USED to be a measurement of skill, now it's just a popularity contest)

B) Miles Austin. He had a breakout year, so to say. However, what indication is there that this isn't one of those players that has a good season or two and then goes back to mediocre-to-decent production? Nobody knows. I have heard of him since before last season, and I am aware he looked good. However, you saw Roy Williams first hand go from stud to absolute dud. It's a little early to crown him, IMO.

C) Jay Ratliff is awesome. Nuff said.

As far as Madden drafting goes, I hate getting gems because in real life coaches don't get to immediately go to player management and see that their 5th round RB is going to the Hall of Fame barring injury.
As for the romo comparison there are a lot of QB's that were great in the regular season and not so great in post season that does not make them any less good,Hell marino made it to one superbowl and got blown out and played like crap and after that he was not any good in the post season(and no i am not saying romo is as good as marino was just using him as an example) and he had really good teams,heck marion had duper and clayton with him for ten years,and austin showed signs before last year that he was good,the 2008 game VS Green bay for example he just kept getting injured but i agree that it is still early.

The roy williams example is a bad one IMO he was never a stud he was the only decent receiver for the lions at the time and had the ball thrown his way way more than anyone else and still never had a year that matches what austin did last year in his first full season as a starter,i think romo is really really good not great,so he is not on the level of the top tier guys like brady or manning.

As for ratliff theres no disputing he is really really good,so i guess we will have to agree to disagree on the other two players.

Last edited by permanent1; 09-02-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Montana and Terrell Davis, just saying.

...scouting doesn't necessarily feel broken to me. The ratings pentagons and scouting reports aren't always correct for me at least.

Next year if Madden doesn't have an improved off-season: NFL draft, scouting, free agency, etc. I'll just pass on the game. So yeah, is scouting broken? I don't think so. Is it lacking in depth? Absolutely.

NHL: Blackhawks
MLB: White Sox
NFL: Bears
NCAAFB: Notre Dame & Colorado
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 33

finding 80 ovr a potential in the 7th round is the entire point of drafting isn't it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »