Home

How important is OVR to you?

This is a discussion on How important is OVR to you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
How important is OVR to you?

Just reading through the Madden forums today I see a lot of threads and posts talking about OVR ratings. More so than I am used to around here. That got me to thinking, and thus wanting to ask, just how important are OVR ratings to you?

What does an OVR rating really mean? What does it compare to? Is it against the rest of the leauge, or of all time? How does each rating weigh in on each OVR by position?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: How important is OVR to you?

I pay some attention to overall, when I look at rosters quickly. But after I start a franchise I look at other ratings, for example WR's (Speed, Route Running, Catching, etc). I benched Tory Holt who had a higher OVR to play Brandon Tate (this was before Holt was cut), because Tate is much faster and was younger

I think OVR is based on current stats and not all time. I do like how there iusnt as many 90's as their used to be as well. 2 years ago, there was a combined 32 90+ RBs and QBs now there is less than 20. (heck I think Laurence Maroney started that year as a 90)

How about you PGaither? What is your feeling on OVR?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Not at all. I think players are kept at lower ratings just so they don't hit a certain OVR. MJD should have a 93+ carry rating but if you make that change and keep everything the same his OVR is like a 98. That's just one example.

I'd rather most ratings be hidden, that way we could see the ratings on the field or through scouting. I'd almost rather see letter grades on the surface and have the numeric ratings be hidden. That way we could have the mystery of not knowing if the B THP QB had a 80 arm or an 89.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

I don't agree with mystery when it comes to my teams personnel, what I would like to see is the ratings being shown be the basics, speed, acc, agi, str, carry, but then have the position specific ratings be the only others that show. This way I don't have to see my QB's press/man/zone coverages, or my DT's THP/THA. It would streamline things and would speed up my team, and other team scouting at a quick glance....perhaps it just makes to much sense.

As far as overall ratings I look at them, but the position specific ratings are what matter most to me.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I don't pay as much attention to OVR as I do position-specific ratings.

I roll with SF, and my LDE Sopoaga is a 71 OVR. He is, however, strong as an ox, great at getting off blocks, and a good tackler. He's almost the prototypical 34 DE.

When it comes to gameplanning for opponents, I look at specific matchup ratings like press coverage ability vs. press release for WR/DB, or SPD and AGIL for OL/DL. To me those determine the outcome of matchups more than the OVR, which may register talents or attributes that are of secondary importance in certain cases.

On the other side of it, there are players who are rated more highly on my team whose talents I value less than lower rated players. SS Michael Lewis is a solid veteran presence, but the fact that I have to mask his deficiency in speed every single play drives me crazy. I'd rather turn the more gifted Taylor Mays loose since he's bookended by two solid players in Nate Clements and Dashon Goldson. Takeo Spikes is the same sort of guy because his range is strictly tackle to tackle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I pay some attention to overall, when I look at rosters quickly. But after I start a franchise I look at other ratings, for example WR's (Speed, Route Running, Catching, etc). I benched Tory Holt who had a higher OVR to play Brandon Tate (this was before Holt was cut), because Tate is much faster and was younger

I think OVR is based on current stats and not all time. I do like how there iusnt as many 90's as their used to be as well. 2 years ago, there was a combined 32 90+ RBs and QBs now there is less than 20. (heck I think Laurence Maroney started that year as a 90)

This is pretty much how I feel. OT but I'm also disappointed that we know very little on how ratings work. For example: who's the better defender, the one with high PRC or the one with high MCV and why?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Means nothing to me anymore. Position specific ratings matter more.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

Meh. Doesn't mean much to me, especially this year. Drafted a ew guys that don't have high overalls (or high potential) that i play. As an example, I havea 64 rated backup HB in the second year of my Lions franchise that has high speed, truck and BTK. Every time i run with him he falls forward. I make sure to get him a lot of carries late in the game when the D is worn.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »