Home

Has NCAA Draft Class Importing been fixed?

This is a discussion on Has NCAA Draft Class Importing been fixed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Has NCAA Draft Class Importing been fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Don't understand how 40 time doesn't mean blazing speed. I've never seen anybody with a fast 40 time be slow on the field, they may play slow b/c they not sure whats going on but their actual running ability is still fast. Yes game speed is more important than 40 time but the speed in the game is based on 40 times.
Loosely yes
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #34
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8

The discussion about how speed ratings should transfer between NCAA and Madden has been had in here before, and I've always understood ratings to be based on being relative to competition. Therefore, 99 speed in NCAA may mean your the fastest player in college, but you won't necessarily be the fastest player in the NFL when you enter the league. Therefore, it is only natural that player speed ratings (and other physical abilities like STR, ACC, etc.) can drop on the import simply because the relative competition is better.
Red Sox

Twitter: @mburke2_08
PSN: mburke2_08
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #35
Rookie

DocOx's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with most everyone else- there's room for real work on the NCAA import into Madden.

I'm interested, though: I get the real annoyance with player skills varying so wildly. But the other part of the imported classes that annoys me is the ability of the CPU to draft perfectly based on OVR.

At least in the few years I have imported my NCAA classes, the rankings are perfectly in line with the spot drafted. So the 76 OVR OLB may be a 2nd round pick, but would always be taken before his 74 OVR classmate.

It makes for more solid CPU drafts, but seems to limit the chances of late-round gems. Am I imagining this, or have others noticed it too?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburke2
The discussion about how speed ratings should transfer between NCAA and Madden has been had in here before, and I've always understood ratings to be based on being relative to competition. Therefore, 99 speed in NCAA may mean your the fastest player in college, but you won't necessarily be the fastest player in the NFL when you enter the league. Therefore, it is only natural that player speed ratings (and other physical abilities like STR, ACC, etc.) can drop on the import simply because the relative competition is better.
To me thats just a players natural ability. Speed, Strength, Acceration, Agility, Throwing power, and Jumping. Those things in my opinion should stay the same or maybe be random with a chance of dropping off maybe 3 or 4 points(really shouldn't drop at all). A player shouldn't drop 5 to 11 points off those particular attributes. Thats just too much. But I'm all for the positional skill attributes taking a hit. In my opinion thats where you seperate the difference in competition.. The other stuff I mentioned is a players natural ability.

Last edited by Jarodd21; 07-01-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Don't understand how 40 time doesn't mean blazing speed. I've never seen anybody with a fast 40 time be slow on the field, they may play slow b/c they not sure whats going on but their actual running ability is still fast. Yes game speed is more important than 40 time but the speed in the game is based on 40 times.
Playing slow means you're speed is slow. You're fixated on 40 time as a measure of speed when all it actually measures is your ability to run 40 yards in a straight line. Its used as a INDICATOR of game speed, but unfortunately its not a reliable indicator particularly because you never run in a straight line, even on a go route. Hence, you frequently have guys with fast 40s who play slower than their 40 time and vice versa.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by btemp
Playing slow means you're speed is slow. You're fixated on 40 time as a measure of speed when all it actually measures is your ability to run 40 yards in a straight line. Its used as a INDICATOR of game speed, but unfortunately its not a reliable indicator particularly because you never run in a straight line, even on a go route. Hence, you frequently have guys with fast 40s who play slower than their 40 time and vice versa.
The 40 time may not be the perfect measurement but it is probably the best. We have never seen a player that ran a 4.6 that has blazing speed but we have seen plenty that ran 4.2 that have blazing speed. Think about it for a sec...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteboSSK
The 40 time may not be the perfect measurement but it is probably the best. We have never seen a player that ran a 4.6 that has blazing speed but we have seen plenty that ran 4.2 that have blazing speed. Think about it for a sec...
Jerry Rice ran what, a 4.7? He pretty much could outrun anyone on the field.You never see someone post a 4.3, then play slow, but we do see players post 4.6's and 4.7's all the time who end up as speed demons once they are actually out there on the field.

I'm an example. My 40 would be around a 4.7 like Jerry Rice, but I'd be willing to bet if you saw me actually run during a game, you'd think I was a lot faster than that.

― Plato
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Jerry Rice ran what, a 4.7? He pretty much could outrun anyone on the field.You never see someone post a 4.3, then play slow, but we do see players post 4.6's and 4.7's all the time who end up as speed demons once they are actually out there on the field.

I'm an example. My 40 would be around a 4.7 like Jerry Rice, but I'd be willing to bet if you saw me actually run during a game, you'd think I was a lot faster than that.

Good post. Some guys speed pick up late when they start catching stride.. There's a few guys who run from 4.5 to 4.7 who play faster then that I definitely agree. I believe they have to take 40 times into account when they evaluate someone's speed but they also have to evaluate there game speed too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »