Home

What can bring the fans back to EA? Scrap EVERYTHING!

This is a discussion on What can bring the fans back to EA? Scrap EVERYTHING! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Banned

gpe1975's Arena

OVR: 7
What can bring the fans back to EA? Scrap EVERYTHING!

So I've been playing NCAA this year instead of Madden. This is a 1st for me. I didn't even purchase Madden. I played them both in the Game Stop and NCAA played a better game of football.

However, a friend of mine brought Madden over to play during the commercial breaks yesterday. I played one game and had the same "meh..." feeling about the game I had the first time I played it. Then I let my two friends play a game while I sat and watched. I don't know if it was because watching instead of playing causes you to look at the game differently or if it was that I had been watching real football all day, but I said to my friends after watching a few series, "Wow, this looks NOTHING like a real game of football!"

The fact of the matter is, other than the field and stadiums, Madden NFL 11 (and NCAA 11 for that matter) look and play almost nothing like a game of football. The players move, look and react nothing like their real life counterparts.

* Chris Johnson looked slow. I repeat, Chris Johnson looked slow. He was faster than the other players, but compared to the real life CJ, his legs looked like they were stuck in cement.

* The players do awkward things before during and after plays.

* Balls are thrown consistently directly into the hands of the defense, but the ball bounces off of the DBs hands so there are not too many interceptions. This has been in Madden for... I don't know... forever? Why not adjust QB accuracy ratings or DB cover abilities? If a ball hits a DB in both of his hands, he should intercept it about 80% of the time, not 10%.

* Once again, if a DB doesn't see the ball coming, he cannot put his hand directly in the path of the ball and knock it down. He actually has to turn his head and see the ball.

* The announcers are simply horrible. I told my friend that if the announcing cannot be improved and continues to sound awkward and forced, they should just take it out altogether and go with a different approach. Why not go with a "at the stadium" approach with only the PA announcer and not TV crew?

I watch a clip of NBA 2k11 and while it is not perfect, it at least resembles a game of basketball. MLB The Show looks a lot like a real game of baseball.

My suggestion for EA to get back in the good graces of football fans would be to scrap the entire game and start for scratch. This game is still suffering from having to build on top of the first Next Gen Madden game, which was absolutely terrible. Since Next Gen, it has always felt "off". Developers have a much better idea of how to use the xbox and ps3 now that starting from scratch and making a new football game from the ground up would be better than building on top of this atrocious mess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: What can bring the fans back to EA? Scrap EVERYTHING!

I agree with everything you just said. Madden never has been, and never will be, a realistic representation of NFL football.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Completely agree...This is what I keep trying to tell people...Madden is simply not a good NOR realistic game of football...I understand that it has shiny uniforms and stadium replicas and NFL logos everywhere..but the actual gameplay of football is horrid in Madden..I proceeded to voice my concerns about the gameplay in the Q&A thread with one of the EA spokespersons...In the end, his answers were either "we didnt have time..." or the predictable and inevitable cop out "I'll have to agree to disagree"....the last thing you want to hear when you've just dropped $65 on a game that turns out to be a POS is for the developers to tell you that he disagrees that the game is flawed..or that he'll "agree to disagree"..Somehow I knew thats what it would boil down to though.

Last edited by harlequin782; 09-14-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 31

I disagree with you on saying that NCAA is better. NCAA 11 is one of the worst games all around that ive ever played.

Dynasty mode is the worse representation of how college football teams play, AND ESPECIALLY RECRUIT. CPU recruiting and incoming overalls and attributes have killed the NCAA series. Its going to take a new team to turn it around. Ive heard rumors that EA is about to give up on NCAA Basketball, I wish they would give up on football too.

And NCAA doesnt play anything close to Madden. NCAA had all those broken plays out of the box. Open field runners are still covering the ball up without need, after multiple patches have claimed to have fixed this. The defense plays a reacts terrible.

Overall, NCAA 11 is the worst game ever in the series. Period.

Franchise mode is stale yes, but its a way better representation of the NFL than NCAAs dynasty mode is of college football.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 34

This stuff gets so old.

Some people might as well not play video games anymore.

You'll never be happy. With anything.

Just stop playing the game.

Threads like this have been done a billion times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Banned

This stuff gets old

Some people might as well play games blindfolded.

They'll always love the game. No matter how unrealistic it plays.

Just say that you'll always love the game regardless of how little it resembles pro football.

Threads like this will continue to be made until a decent NFL football game is developed.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
This stuff gets so old.

Some people might as well not play video games anymore.

You'll never be happy. With anything.

Just stop playing the game.

Threads like this have been done a billion times.
I think the main frustration with Madden is that it is the ONLY NFL game on the market. If there were other choices for so called "simulation" NFL games, then there wouldnt be a bunch of people on these forums complaining how Madden never delivers. Another thing is that every year, everyone has high hopes for Madden making a simulation football game, but it always fails to deliver. Although Madden has never been a simulation football game, every year EA claims it is. Every year they add all these useless features instead of concentrating on making gameplay as simulation as possible.

The truth is EA needs to scrap the whole Madden engine, and replace it with a better one that actually works. Unfortunately that will probably never happen as long as EA has the exclusive rights to the NFL. Why would they? They have no real incentive to make this product the best, because they have NO COMPETITION! They have a monopoly, and will most likely continue to make poor representations of the NFL until they finally have a competitor.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 10

Its not so much what they can do as much as its what theyre willing to do. And the answer to that should be obvious by now.

Telling EA what they need to do to make a good video game is kind of like telling a murder how to perform CPR.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »