Home

How much does a CB's OVR matter?

This is a discussion on How much does a CB's OVR matter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
How much does a CB's OVR matter?

A little different twist on the topic of OVR ratings, and if they are overrated [pun very much intended.]

What does a CB's OVR really measure?

Something that got me think about this was franchise mode and a CB I picked up in the free agency in my franchise a while back. Jerome Murphy [70 OVR] of the Rams had progressed to an 82 OVR and was released by St. Louis at the end of his contract. These are his positional ratings in my franchise now: 96MCV 91ZCV 93PRS. These are really good numbers. He doesn't have super speed like Revis, but Revis is one of the better tackling CBs in football and only has 65 tackle, just like my player Jerome Murphy.

Now, I am not complaining that i think my player should have a higher overall. in fact, because he doesn't I can afford to pay him less to keep him on my team. However, I get the impression across the board that many positional attributes/ratings can be high and not impact the player's OVR that much. On my team right now i have three corners who all have 90+ man and zone coverage ratings, two of which have 90+ press ratings and my top 3 corners are all rated 82, 79, and 77 OVR respctively. They are lock-down when I play because of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: How much does a CB's OVR matter?

i have an 88 ovr CB. 97 speed. 99 mcv. 99 zone.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

OVR seems to be used to arrange the cpu depth chart. and contracts in FA.

positional ratings in this game take a back seat to MOVEMENT RATINGS. such as speed, and agility etc....

agility-- probably the most important rating to a CB in madden, at 70 the cb would end his back peddle after 5 yds on a fly route at 95 he would back peddle 15 yds before turning at top speed and running......

cheap programming or not is off topic but it would be better if his man cov mattered more in his technique...

IMO, man cov and zone cov dont have much weight on gameplay in terms of seeing it expressed on the field. they seem to govern sim stats becuase the higher these are the better stats the sim engine spit out...

anyway high OVR does not mean a better player on the field, a DT with 95 strength and 95 block shredding will be disruptive even if he has 40 in everything else and rated 60 OVR, but in terms of sim stats he would not be a factor at all....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
A little different twist on the topic of OVR ratings, and if they are overrated [pun very much intended.]

What does a CB's OVR really measure?

Something that got me think about this was franchise mode and a CB I picked up in the free agency in my franchise a while back. Jerome Murphy [70 OVR] of the Rams had progressed to an 82 OVR and was released by St. Louis at the end of his contract. These are his positional ratings in my franchise now: 96MCV 91ZCV 93PRS. These are really good numbers. He doesn't have super speed like Revis, but Revis is one of the better tackling CBs in football and only has 65 tackle, just like my player Jerome Murphy.

Now, I am not complaining that i think my player should have a higher overall. in fact, because he doesn't I can afford to pay him less to keep him on my team. However, I get the impression across the board that many positional attributes/ratings can be high and not impact the player's OVR that much. On my team right now i have three corners who all have 90+ man and zone coverage ratings, two of which have 90+ press ratings and my top 3 corners are all rated 82, 79, and 77 OVR respctively. They are lock-down when I play because of this.
What is his SPD and ACC ?

ovr doesn't matter as much since he has great MCV and PRS which will make him a good corner either 1st 2nd or 3rd on your depth chart
Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriddle
What is his SPD and ACC ?

ovr doesn't matter as much since he has great MCV and PRS which will make him a good corner either 1st 2nd or 3rd on your depth chart
He has like 87 speed and 92 acceleration. Seeing Reggie Wayne [88speed] beat Revis [93speed] and Cromartie [95speed] in man coverage [I mean in Madden 11, not just real life] because of his 99 Route Running ratings, it doesn't really bother me. Like I said, they are very lock down for me when i play.

Also, having seen Revis and Cromartie suffer from locomotion [as all defenders do in M11] from time to time, even fast players only matter so much. For the most part, speed really comes into play on interception returns in this game.

Speed does Matter. Browns CB Joe Haden becomes 99Man/Zone Coverage with his high speed and 90+ press rating through progression. He becomes like a 91 OVR. Vonte Davis of the Dolphins also becomes a 93 OVR with his speed along with 90+ ratings in those areas.

I get the impression, and part of the point of this thread, is that you can have "elite" corners in this game with out them having high OVR ratings. It's kind of cool, but it also is kind of unrealistic in how little you have to pay them for being lower OVR players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 25

just 87 spd and 92 acc?

he'll be a good solid corner because of his 96 mcv, but that's about it

there's a big difference between the "Elite" ones (ie: 99mcv 99prs) and he has 96 mcv which just means that's his strongest tendency/point, good at man coverage but he'll be chasing people specially on crossing routes/drags and god help him if he tries to cover elite WR's like Brandon Marshal or Damyrius Thomas with 99 Release/Beat Press

not sure how your other corners are but this guy will be a really solid cb2 or cb3 and if you have great corners already, hell.. convert him to Free Safety since he has 91 zcv anyways
Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
IMO, man cov and zone cov dont have much weight on gameplay in terms of seeing it expressed on the field. they seem to govern sim stats becuase the higher these are the better stats the sim engine spit out...

anyway high OVR does not mean a better player on the field, a DT with 95 strength and 95 block shredding will be disruptive even if he has 40 in everything else and rated 60 OVR, but in terms of sim stats he would not be a factor at all....
This guy hit the nail on the head.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »