Home

How Close are we to a COMPLETELY NEW Madden ENGINE?

This is a discussion on How Close are we to a COMPLETELY NEW Madden ENGINE? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: How Close are we to a COMPLETELY NEW Madden ENGINE?

You're exactly one new console generation away from a new engine.

Right now, the current engine isn't going away.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
It could be a mixture of all of those things.

Madden doesn't have to use a Backbreaker-like engine to succeed, but as has been mentioned already in this thread, there needs to be some time devoted to making the engine they use (whether the current one or a new one) work as well as possible.

Unfortunately, I think the only real opportunity you have to do something like that (especially with a game that has to be made yearly) is during the transition between generations of consoles. That gives you a whole new framework to work with and you can build the engines from scratch. The problem is that it seems that we are maybe 4 - 5 years away, at least, from the next gen of consoles.

Hopefully EA (or indeed someone else making a generic, customizable game, I'm not hung up on the license too mcuh) will prove me wrong on that though, you never know lol.

I can't see that happening. I'm gonna guess Madden will still get made. The NHL games still got made during the lockout a few years ago.
I dont need or necessarily think they have to have a back breaker type physics engine, but the one the use in NHL 11 would be a great start, especially if they can use it in the tackling and blocking areas. That would be a great start.

Also, i really don't buy that they couldn't be working on brand new technology behind the scenes, even if it'd 2-3 years to give this engine(s) some much need new blood and life. Other developers do it all the time. EA is the single largest 3rd part publisher with literally unlimited resources. If they can innovate in games like NHL series with a brand new, more realistic game engine, and on top of that add real time physics this year, and seeing what FIFA does every year, and the mind blowing physics, gameplay, and graphics of a fight night, there is no reason their "flagship" title doesnt deserve alot more love in the innovation dept.

Even if the current engine(s) were to stay, i would love to see the entire tackling engine updated. Allow us to initiate different types of tackes, true wrap tackles, REAL gang tackles (NOT that mo-capped scripted "pro-tak", man i hate that gimmick), maybe use the right stick for arm tackles and such, and lastly allow us to manually "clean up" and "add on" to a tackle with physics based results, meaning added defenders actually can effect the direction and momentum of the tackles. (push backwards, either side, more deflection overall!)

OL/DL play has to be ALOT more organic. As it is now, at the snap of the ball, the linmen engage in a 2 player scripted animation that "plays out" and looks alot more like they are dancing than trying to block or break the block. There is no vertical push on running plays by ELITE all pro offensive linemen, no backwards push by elite NT's, no true pocket as of yet on pass plays, and even all pro pass rushing DE's get no love. If a defense like the Colts or Giants puts you in 3rd and longs, there should be no need to send more than 4 rushers because Freeney, mathis, Tuck, Osi, Peppers and guys like that pin their ears back with no threat of the run.

WR/DB play needs a total overhaul too. There simply is no real man "coverage", the DB's jus mirror the WR's route. To me, that easy programming because to make actual man coverage work would be hard. But, Tiburon has been at this game and engine for how many years now? The zone coverage on madden 11 is totally useless, and was actually better on Madden 10. Aside from that, how about a true "man align". How many times have you come out in Quarters or a 3-3-5 in man coverage to only see that a slot DB is NOT over top of their man assignment but across the field? How many years will this plague the game?

More on coverage. What happened to true man lock on/off to disguise coverages? Individual bump coverage? Shading DB's to play inside.outside technique? So many options here.

Online play should be blowing us away. I still can't fathom we can turn off certain features tat are player preference during online play? Auto strafe? You kidding me? This ruins an already broken defense. I don;t want the cpu strafing at the wrong time for me when he is already out of position. Let us turn off auto sprint if we choose to. How about some sliders just incase Tiburon cant balance gameplay right out of the box for online play? What happened to "hardcore"ranked games on All madden? Fair play rules for a more realistic football experience?

Also, with todays technology, we should be seeing a ridiculous franchise mode both on and offline. We should be able to watch and scout opponents by watching their games LIVE.I'm pretty sure Project Gotham Racing allowed for this years ago.

Whats happening with Tiburon as far as Madden is the wash/rinse/repeat cycle. No need for them to truely innovate because guess what? We all line up at midnight and buy this game to record sales numbers each and every year. Why should they spend development money making a better player, smarter AI, innovative physics based engine when no matter how displeased we are we all still line up and buy it anyways?

Last edited by REDRZA; 09-21-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 8

I think anyone saying they'd be happy with Madden 2005 is not thinking about 2010 expectations, especially comparing Madden to other sports titles. Much of what we complain about now existed back then too. We just had more side features.

EXACTY Bezo. Not saying Mdden 05 wasn't a great game, in many respects it was, for it's time. That game aslo had 2 of the worst glitches in the history of the franchise. The "quicksand" glitch (because of the formation audibles not being fully tested), and how did EA "fix" it? They turned OFF fatigue!! Which led and feeded into the second biggest gitch in Madden history, the 05 "juke glitch", where you could literally run a toss, juke glitch, the entire defense got reallt stupid, cut back all the way across the field for an easy TD!

I think people tend to over glorify the PS3 era of games. Sure, they had some really good features and some years the game was soid, but they were plagued by game breaking glitches far more than what we have seen this generation. This isn't about that though, it's the fact that its 2010 and the last thing we should be settling for is a game that is already 5 years old. Especially seeing how great MLB the Show, NHL 11, FIFA, NBA 2K11, and Fight Night is all doing. Madden needs an overhaul.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #36
All Star

OVR: 33

doesn't need a new engine.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #37
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree with the OP. However I feel although a new game engine would be nice, all that is really needed is the end of the exclusive license deal so we can have a choice once again. I loved NFL Fever and of course 2K football, yeah I'm beating a dead horse, but just imagine what we could be playing if not for the exclusive deal.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
I dont need or necessarily think they have to have a back breaker type physics engine, but the one the use in NHL 11 would be a great start, especially if they can use it in the tackling and blocking areas. That would be a great start.
Definitely, the NHL 11 physics engine is pretty damn good, and would be fine for Madden, assuming it can be made to work for 11 v 11 (which I think will be the developers reasoning if they don't use something like it).

Quote:
Also, i really don't buy that they couldn't be working on brand new technology behind the scenes, even if it'd 2-3 years to give this engine(s) some much need new blood and life. Other developers do it all the time. EA is the single largest 3rd part publisher with literally unlimited resources. If they can innovate in games like NHL series with a brand new, more realistic game engine, and on top of that add real time physics this year, and seeing what FIFA does every year, and the mind blowing physics, gameplay, and graphics of a fight night, there is no reason their "flagship" title doesnt deserve alot more love in the innovation dept.
I agree that they probably could be developing a new engine behind the scenes, but as you say that requires resources that EA (as opposed to Tiburon) might not to want to use.

Quote:
Even if the current engine(s) were to stay, i would love to see the entire tackling engine updated. Allow us to initiate different types of tackes, true wrap tackles, REAL gang tackles (NOT that mo-capped scripted "pro-tak", man i hate that gimmick), maybe use the right stick for arm tackles and such, and lastly allow us to manually "clean up" and "add on" to a tackle with physics based results, meaning added defenders actually can effect the direction and momentum of the tackles. (push backwards, either side, more deflection overall!)
Yeah, pro-tak doesn't seem to work too well. I think it could be okif it's improved and made more dynamic. As you say, the dynamism could come from them using a better physics model.

Quote:
OL/DL play has to be ALOT more organic. As it is now, at the snap of the ball, the linmen engage in a 2 player scripted animation that "plays out" and looks alot more like they are dancing than trying to block or break the block. There is no vertical push on running plays by ELITE all pro offensive linemen, no backwards push by elite NT's, no true pocket as of yet on pass plays, and even all pro pass rushing DE's get no love. If a defense like the Colts or Giants puts you in 3rd and longs, there should be no need to send more than 4 rushers because Freeney, mathis, Tuck, Osi, Peppers and guys like that pin their ears back with no threat of the run.
Yeah, the line interactions are better in Madden 11, but there is still a long way to go in my opinion.

Quote:
WR/DB play needs a total overhaul too. There simply is no real man "coverage", the DB's jus mirror the WR's route. To me, that easy programming because to make actual man coverage work would be hard. But, Tiburon has been at this game and engine for how many years now? The zone coverage on madden 11 is totally useless, and was actually better on Madden 10. Aside from that, how about a true "man align". How many times have you come out in Quarters or a 3-3-5 in man coverage to only see that a slot DB is NOT over top of their man assignment but across the field? How many years will this plague the game?

More on coverage. What happened to true man lock on/off to disguise coverages? Individual bump coverage? Shading DB's to play inside.outside technique? So many options here.
Yeah, I think quite a few of the problems with the game stem from them not getting man coverage right.

Quote:
Online play should be blowing us away. I still can't fathom we can turn off certain features tat are player preference during online play? Auto strafe? You kidding me? This ruins an already broken defense. I don;t want the cpu strafing at the wrong time for me when he is already out of position. Let us turn off auto sprint if we choose to. How about some sliders just incase Tiburon cant balance gameplay right out of the box for online play? What happened to "hardcore"ranked games on All madden? Fair play rules for a more realistic football experience?
I personally don't think "fair play" is necessarily the answer to cheese. Maybe if it was done well (as opposed to being too restrictive like the first version was) it could help. There definitely need to be more options for online play though.

Quote:
Also, with todays technology, we should be seeing a ridiculous franchise mode both on and offline. We should be able to watch and scout opponents by watching their games LIVE.I'm pretty sure Project Gotham Racing allowed for this years ago.
Franchise needs a major overhaul. Apparently we might get that with Madden 12, but I fear it may only be for one of the franchise modes (i/e either online or offline), not both.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

REDZA the thing is they have been working behind the scenes at least EA has they bought the software PhysX about 3 years ago its compatible with the other software tools they use for all there games. I believe that EA Canada got first crack at it hence the physics for Fight Night, NHL and Elite. Once those guys get the base I think it moved to Tiburon to make it work for their games. I was under the impression that we would have seen RTP this year in madden, but it didn't happen, but we are going to see it for Fifa, NHL and Elite. I would be surprised if its not in Madden and NCAA next year.

Here's a thread I started when BB was first coming out to show what kind of tech each company had at its disposal. I 've been on here long enough that if guys doesn't see it in writing then it doesn't exist.

EA signed on to license

Last edited by Hova57; 09-21-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 11

Your not getting a new engine this generation, we're probably 2 Maddens away from the XBOX 720 or Playstation 4 coming out. It makes no sense to make a new engine now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »