Home

Why can't I control the quarterback in shotgun after the ball is snapped?

This is a discussion on Why can't I control the quarterback in shotgun after the ball is snapped? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #33
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Why can't I control the quarterback in shotgun after the ball is snapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
bad snaps are part of the NFL. Did any see the MNF game?

What is up with some of you? How is this a bad thing? "IOh no, a bad snap" Are you going to complain that incomplete passes are a bad thing to have in the game, or tackles? Shaking my head.
the problem with bad snaps is their frequency.

yes we saw monday night football and yes that was something outside the norm. It was a guard playing center and he was in a shotgun set for the first time...dont count that as justification for the frequency of the bad snaps!

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #34
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

I just gotta ask... what the heck do some of you people do to get all these "bad" things to happen? I've never had a single problem controlling my QB after the snap, getting him to throw, etc... and furthermore, I think I've seen one bad snap in 40+ games.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ***, I just don't get it...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #35
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

High, low, left, or right snaps are great. It's totally realistic. The next time you watch a football game, grab a note pad and tally the number of times you see a snap that forces the QB, holder, or punter to adjust. You'll probably be surprised at the results. The effect they have in Madden...well I've not had a hard time adjusting to a snap. I can't relate at all to those claims.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #36
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I just gotta ask... what the heck do some of you people do to get all these "bad" things to happen? I've never had a single problem controlling my QB after the snap, getting him to throw, etc... and furthermore, I think I've seen one bad snap in 40+ games.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be an ***, I just don't get it...
If you just started playing Madden last year you wouldnt thinkg anything is wrong!

Im not sure if this is the case but there is a automatic dropback where you arent allowed to move the QB until the animation runs its course. In previous versions you had immediate control of the QB.

There were complaints that people would take a fast QB and run all around with the QB to gain a "cheese" advantage so they put a auto drop back in to prevent that. More times then not if you try and scramble after the auto drop back and pressure is coming...you wont make it far!

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 09-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #37
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
the problem with bad snaps is their frequency.
That is somewhere we can agree on. I will concede that they may happen far too often. I don't have anything against Shotgun formations, I just don't use them a lot. I play more of a power run, and nearly 1/4 of my Shotgun plays are actually runs [draws, traps, and sweeps.] I do not see it a lot when i play. I don't know if there is a rating for this, or if it is just a die roll, bust when I am NE i don't notice it much either. Of course, when I am NE and I am not using coach mode, I also play a timing passing game instead of scrambling with TFB. So even if there are bad snaps, as the user I am looking down field at the coverage instead anyway.

Quote:
If you just started playing Madden last year you wouldn't think anything is wrong!
I have been playing for years, and except for possibly the frequency, I don't think anything is wrong. It sounds more like you are upset bad things happen to you. In fact, i would hate to have it happen to me, but Bad snaps are only visual, they are not actually bad snaps they don't result in fumbles and plays like on MNF, or the famous Tony Romo play. the same is true on FGs. There are no Tony Romo FG attempts yet either.

[quote]Im not sure if this is the case but there is a automatic dropback where you arent allowed to move the QB until the animation runs its course. In previous versions you had immediate control of the QB.[quote] Under center, you only have to drop three steps before you can take control. You can also throw the second you snap the ball with a zero step drop. that's right, go into practice and your QB will be able to take he snap, stand up and throw without taking a step. I have gone into many formations and plays and every time I want to scramble, i have to only take three steps before I can. it's not that broken. It effects you most in Shotgun, as we have talked about before, where you get the bad snap animation and then have to stand up and set your feet before you can move. Maybe they need to create an "if/then statement" that says "if bad snap, no auto drop back" so a QB with a bad snap can react and run after recovering a bad snap.

Quote:
There were complaints that people would take a fast QB and run all around with the QB to gain a "cheese" advantage so they put a auto drop back in to prevent that.
That wasn't the only reason. QBs rarely scramble right as they take the snap. they have designed/called roll outs, or they throw the ball very early to their hot read ala Kurt Warner. Again, you only haveto take three steps from under center before you can move anyway.

Quote:
More times then not if you try and scramble after the auto drop back and pressure is coming...you wont make it far!
I don't understand, is that supposed to be a bad thing? Oh no, the play is breaking down and pressure is in my face and I didn't throw the ball, so I might actually get sacked? The world is comming to an end, an END I SAY! Even then, you can stilll avoid pressure with mobile QBs. I use Alex Smith and he is only in the 70's for speed and have avoided pressure many tiems. The same is true with Bret Favre.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-23-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

[quote=PGaither84;2041645353]That is somewhere we can agree on. I will concede that they may happen far too often. I don't have anything against Shotgun formations, I just don't use them a lot. I play more of a power run, and nearly 1/4 of my Shotgun plays are actually runs [draws, traps, and sweeps.] I do not see it a lot when i play. I don't know if there is a rating for this, or if it is just a die roll, bust when I am NE i don't notice it much either. Of course, when I am NE and I am not using coach mode, I also play a timing passing game instead of scrambling with TFB. So even if there are bad snaps, as the user I am looking down field at the coverage instead anyway.

I have been playing for years, and except for possibly the frequency, I don't think anything is wrong. It sounds more like you are upset bad things happen to you. In fact, i would hate to have it happen to me, but Bad snaps are only visual, they are not actually bad snaps they don't result in fumbles and plays like on MNF, or the famous Tony Romo play. the same is true on FGs. There are no Tony Romo FG attempts yet either.

[quote]Im not sure if this is the case but there is a automatic dropback where you arent allowed to move the QB until the animation runs its course. In previous versions you had immediate control of the QB.
Quote:
Under center, you only have to drop three steps before you can take control. You can also throw the second you snap the ball with a zero step drop. that's right, go into practice and your QB will be able to take he snap, stand up and throw without taking a step. I have gone into many formations and plays and every time I want to scramble, i have to only take three steps before I can. it's not that broken. It effects you most in Shotgun, as we have talked about before, where you get the bad snap animation and then have to stand up and set your feet before you can move. Maybe they need to create an "if/then statement" that says "if bad snap, no auto drop back" so a QB with a bad snap can react and run after recovering a bad snap.

That wasn't the only reason. QBs rarely scramble right as they take the snap. they have designed/called roll outs, or they throw the ball very early to their hot read ala Kurt Warner. Again, you only haveto take three steps from under center before you can move anyway.

I don't understand, is that supposed to be a bad thing? Oh no, the play is breaking down and pressure is in my face and I didn't throw the ball, so I might actually get sacked? The world is comming to an end, an END I SAY! Even then, you can stilll avoid pressure with mobile QBs. I use Alex Smith and he is only in the 70's for speed and have avoided pressure many tiems. The same is true with Bret Favre.
They should put a snap rating in the game for offensive linemen- that would solve everything- bc it be legit if you had a certain number of bad snaps a game using a terrible center.

The issue with the bad snap is that the bad snap animation has to run its course and then so does the auto-drop back. During the bad snap you obviously cant make a throw- so what happens is you arent able to hit your hot read if you notice something.

Mix in the combo of a bad snap and a missed read with the auto dropback where you cant scramble and pressure is coming- its a recipe of disaster.

the auto drop back is a canned animation- that really has no place in todays "madden game"

Im not talking about undercenter at all...undercenter is fine- you actually gain control of your QB much quicker undercenter then in shotgun- attribute that to the 3 step drop- but ya you dont get bad snaps under center ever- which if i were to go from your angle that is a problem. I have seen many botched snaps under center this year as well has bad hand offs...why dont they throw in those animations while they are at it? (devils advocate)

you seem to think all I do is play in shotgun when in fact 3 of my audibles are under center formations. two happen to be from a power run set where I have a counter weak, hb toss, and a hb blast. If i think I can pound the rock i will.

my other undercenter is a WR screen where I can also hit a toss and a hb plunge if I have the advantage in the box.

All these assumptions of my game man! Im just a madden player!

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #39
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
It's QB auto dropback. This was put in by Ian and his crew back in madden 10 to keep people online from running with the QB outside of the pocket right after the snap. I've sent Ian a few twitts over the concern about this. It hurts your gameplay more then help. If the AI is blitzing you while in Shotgun or trying to do a screen pass. The AI chances of sacking you is high. I don't like it one bit. They add this in madden 10. It seems it was taken out while you are under center. But once you do a play from shotgun. It is there. It is annoying. I'm hoping Ian will remove this in the patch coming out at the end of this month.
All the things they have to do to stop cheesers really annoys me but there would probably be more complaints if they didn't.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #40
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I've never even realized this drop back animation thingy existed... but I've really only played with my hometown Lions and never with a QB who I would intentionally scramble with immediately after the snap... so it is a complete non-issue for me at this point.

Although I just don't understand some of the questing for realistic stuff in the game. Do bad snaps happen in the NFL? Sure, that doesn't mean they add anything beyond the occasional "well, that sucked" randomly to the gameplay experience. What's next? botched center-to-QB exchanges in standard formations leading to canned animations of nine guys in a pile digging for the ball? Whoa... my heart is a flutter with anticipation.

Don't get me wrong, I like a reasonable representation of the sport in my sports video games... but at some point, the frustrating aspects of watching real NFL players whiz the bed can be left out of the virtual version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »