Home

Is the Wildcat stuck in mud?

This is a discussion on Is the Wildcat stuck in mud? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Is the Wildcat stuck in mud?

Running with the 49ers in Franchise. Every time I try to run a Wildcat play, it's like Gore is knee deep in mud. He starts the play running straight ahead like an OLineman for the first 5-6 steps, even on the one play that's a run to the outside. At that point, it seems like he gets back to a realistic speed but it's hard to tell since he's basically stuffed at that point anyway. Is this the case with everyone?

I understand limiting the ability to scramble on a Wildcat pass (don't like it, but I kinda understand it) but this seems a little ridiculous to me. If I can't run out of the Wildcat on a designed run play, what's the point of having it in there?

I don't run much out of that formation--and definitely won't if this keeps happening--but it's pretty frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Is the Wildcat stuck in mud?

Yeah, I use the Eagles, and it's worthless to call any play from their wildcat package. Not being able to put Vick in at Qb, and not having any passing options, they completely destroyed their playbook. doens't surprise me... I have to relearn the playbook every year even though the head coach hasn't changed in 11 years.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
Yeah, I use the Eagles, and it's worthless to call any play from their wildcat package. Not being able to put Vick in at Qb, and not having any passing options, they completely destroyed their playbook. doens't surprise me... I have to relearn the playbook every year even though the head coach hasn't changed in 11 years.
Ok, guess it's good to know that it's not just me. For your Vick issue though, have you tried subbing him in at QB and then cycling through the packages? I think I saw "QB" as one of the packages in the 49ers playbook where it is still the Wildcat but the QB is taking the snap. I could be mixing it up with NCAA though.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
Ok, guess it's good to know that it's not just me. For your Vick issue though, have you tried subbing him in at QB and then cycling through the packages? I think I saw "QB" as one of the packages in the 49ers playbook where it is still the Wildcat but the QB is taking the snap. I could be mixing it up with NCAA though.
I would have to go to the depth chart and put Vick at RB every time I wanted to use the wildcat... I don't change playbooks. I use the default that way if I decide to go online or play in an online franchise, I can be legit, but the devs always butcher the Eagles playbook, makes it hard to play with them. I think they dumbed it down intentionally because Kolb is a first year starter, but with Vick now starting , they can't add plays to the play book... sucks but I got the game as a gift so I can't complain.... I have sworn off buying Madden starting with Madden 10.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm pretty sure there is a back up QB package for the wildcat. If not why don't you just sub Vick in for that formation? No need to go into depth chart just use the right stick to change packages and use the right bumper to sub in or out.

NHL: Blackhawks
MLB: White Sox
NFL: Bears
NCAAFB: Notre Dame & Colorado
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sort of Irish
I'm pretty sure there is a back up QB package for the wildcat. If not why don't you just sub Vick in for that formation? No need to go into depth chart just use the right stick to change packages and use the right bumper to sub in or out.
Your right, but it's useless because there are no passing plays from that formation only three runs. Without the threat of a pass, it's a loss every time from that formation
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I run the wildcat sometimes with the Dolphins. Last year I had much more success with it. This year, you have to give it. I rarely keep it with Ronnie Brown, I usually give it to Ricky and it's a nice gain. I've noticed the trigger man does start off slower and it's never a gain.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
Your right, but it's useless because there are no passing plays from that formation only three runs. Without the threat of a pass, it's a loss every time from that formation
Ah, okay, yeah I'm not familiar with the Eagles playbook so I wasn't aware.

NHL: Blackhawks
MLB: White Sox
NFL: Bears
NCAAFB: Notre Dame & Colorado

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »