Home

How much does the CPU know your playcalling?

This is a discussion on How much does the CPU know your playcalling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: How much does the CPU know your playcalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
it's awful suspicious when I audible from a pass to a run, and the D magically brings 8 men into the box.

then when I audible from run to pass, they back up their secondary.

that's more than just a coincidence.
I've seen the same thing and to me it's more than coincidence, especially when it happens without you changing formation.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
When you switch from run to pass or pass to run in shotgun with no change in formation?
Yes. When the QB screams something the defensive players look at the all the receivers and back(s), and most of the time they can see if it will be a pass or run. Thats why there are so few big plays in the NFL.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Because of psychic AI I audible ALOT. Not too hard to audible a couple times to get the advantage against the D back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I do think there is something to them shifting their defense to counter exactly what your first audible is... With no formation change you can audible from one pass play to another pass, nobody on either side of ball shifts... Then you audible to a run and they stack the box. It's not a huge annoyance, but I notice it.

As far as standard plays out of the huddle, it depends. I've had games where teams are completely blitz happy against me on almost every snap... Not disguised zone blitzes or sending one LB out of a standard formation... but completely stacked "We're going to send everybody and kill you" blitzes. I've had games where the CPU will never leave the base 4-3 regardless of my personnel on the field... I've had games where they call a darn near perfect gameplan.

Out of the huddle = crapshoot. You call an audible = they videotaped your practices and know your signals.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

I see this too.

If I pick a run play and then audible to a quick pass play, the CPU's LB's and CB's all of a sudden know to adjust. (literally the second I hit the button they adjust.) And if I audible back to a quick run, the CPU will again adjust LB's and CB's...

Even if its an audible within the same formation!

Not sure what to think of it, but I definetly notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz

Out of the huddle = crapshoot. You call an audible = they videotaped your practices and know your signals.
I noticed this quote after I replied to OP.

But I edited it in here, cuz this is perfect way to describe the CPU's magic ability to react to an audible. (Even audibles within the same formation.)

Last edited by kpkpkp; 09-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
Sadly bro yes the AI knows everything because it is programmed to know it. IF the AI didn't know then the game would be a mess. It's just all in the programming bro. But you can change the plays at the LOS before snapping the ball to throw the AI off balance. Shift guys around and put them in motion. It's a challenge but I love it.
This! It's the same reason DBs often break on your receivers routes before the receivers do. They know what's coming and the system gives a speed burst to the player it wants to win.

Do-it-yourself-test (Patch 1.03 with week 2 rosters)
  • Go into practice mode and select Pats on offense and Jets on defense
  • Choose Singleback - Deuce Wing - Z Dig for the Pats and 3-4 - Normal - 2 Man Under for the Jets
  • Hot route your Tight Ends to block and deep in routes for both Welker (Out Right, then Smart Route) and Moss (Smart Route)
Run this setup a few times, and you'll see that Welker is consistently beating Cromatie and that Welker is getting a speed burst to create seperation.

On the other side of the field you'll see that Revis is consistently beating Moss, and that the system gives Revis a speed burst that allows him to run the rest of the route ahead of Moss.

This is because the system gives a speed burst to players with a high route running rating, unless the defender has got a higher man coverage rating.

In the above example:
Welker (97 Route Running) vs. Cromatie (88 Man Coverage) --> Welker wins!
Moss (95 Route Running) vs. Revis (98 Man Coverage) --> Revis wins!

Sad but true!

Last edited by guaps; 09-24-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
As far as standard plays out of the huddle, it depends. I've had games where teams are completely blitz happy against me on almost every snap... Not disguised zone blitzes or sending one LB out of a standard formation... but completely stacked "We're going to send everybody and kill you" blitzes. I've had games where the CPU will never leave the base 4-3 regardless of my personnel on the field... I've had games where they call a darn near perfect gameplan.
I don't see much of that, but wish I could see more. The teams are too similar in their play calling, too aggressive that doesn't work for them. Too often I face 7-8 man blitzes that get beaten for a big play. Too often the offence will send four deep without success. Some teams should play like that, but it seems every team plays like that. I'd like to see more variation in AI playcalling style.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »