Home

which attributes most important for o-linemen?

This is a discussion on which attributes most important for o-linemen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
which attributes most important for o-linemen?

between Strength, Awareness, Impact Blocking, Run Block Strength, Run Block Footwork, Pass Block Strength, Pass Block Footwork...

it makes my head swim trying to compare players. i used to think i wanted a guard or tackle with a high strength and Awareness, but now...

anyone test which attributes are the most important? and don't say all, because unless i'm doing some cheese trade for 98 OVR player, most lineman have ups and downs across all these ratings.

thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: which attributes most important for o-linemen?

It depends on the position from what I can tell. If you run a lot up the middle I think that str, run block and run strength are most important. If you run to the outside I think it's more important for the pulling guard to be a bit faster and have better run block footwork and impact blocking. Tackles on the other hand need to be strong but also need good run and pass blocking strength AND footwork because they match up against quicker DE with power moves and finesse moves.

Basically just sign guys that fit your style of play the best, regardless of their overall.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
between Strength, Awareness, Impact Blocking, Run Block Strength, Run Block Footwork, Pass Block Strength, Pass Block Footwork...

it makes my head swim trying to compare players. i used to think i wanted a guard or tackle with a high strength and Awareness, but now...

anyone test which attributes are the most important? and don't say all, because unless i'm doing some cheese trade for 98 OVR player, most lineman have ups and downs across all these ratings.

thanks in advance.
If you're playing these four: Run Block Strength, Run Block Footwork, Pass Block Strength, Pass Block Footwork, and if you like to run screens or pull your guard then Impact Block, which apparently is how well a player blocks in the open field.

If you're simming you just need these two: Run Block, Pass Block

Last edited by guaps; 09-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
If you're playing these four: Run Block Strength, Run Block Footwork, Pass Block Strength, Pass Block Footwork, and if you like to run screens or pull your guard then Impact Block, which apparently is how well a player blocks in the open field.

If you're simming you just need these two: Run Block, Pass Block
thanks.

what was/is confusing me is that how does "Strength" impact a lineman's play vs. his Run Block Strength?

is it a combination? what if a guy has 98 strength but only 82 Run Block Strength?

or what if he has 82 Strength vs. 98 RUn Block Strength?

what's the diff?

i guess i could edit some players and run some tests in practice. might just do that but i know how much some people here love testing so i didn't want to deny them that fun.

thanks.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

imnho..

PBS and RBS

pass block strength
and
run block strength
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

^^^ I'd have to agree

Certainly no point in having good footwork if you're going to simply get run over because you've not got the strength.

[actuallyrealisticmadden] You could also argue that strength is more natural so, for a rookie it's more important. Footwork can be learned over time through experience [/actuallyrealisticmadden]
XboxGT:Lewis584
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
thanks.

what was/is confusing me is that how does "Strength" impact a lineman's play vs. his Run Block Strength?

is it a combination? what if a guy has 98 strength but only 82 Run Block Strength?

or what if he has 82 Strength vs. 98 RUn Block Strength?

what's the diff?

i guess i could edit some players and run some tests in practice. might just do that but i know how much some people here love testing so i didn't want to deny them that fun.

thanks.
I don't know for sure what strength means in Madden, but in NHL strength functions as a modifier that gives the extra power in shots and both when hitting and resisting hits. If that is the case in Madden you should go for a o-lineman with high blocking strength over regular strength anytime.

Last edited by guaps; 09-24-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Tackle: Pass block
Guard: Run block/Combination of both
Center: Run block

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »