Home

CPU Slot abuse

This is a discussion on CPU Slot abuse within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
CPU Slot abuse

This really bothers me. Today I started an offline franchise for the first time in Madden 11 after spending the last few months playing exclusively Online Franchise games, now I remember why. The CPU "abuses" the slot WR like crazy. Against a human this is very annoying and if they have someone really fast there they can play WAY better than their ratings (HeyBey for example). But against the CPU it just makes playing Defense boring as hell.

On every pass play, every time, I KNOW FOR A FACT unless someone else gets WIDE open by way of a botched press or being uncovered the CPU will ALWAYS throw to the #3 WR. Always. The way I see it I have a few options:
1. Do nothing about it and watch some scrub WR make 15 Rec for 180 yards
2. Spotlight him every pass down and watch the CPU QB go 9/30 for 100 yards, the majority of those completions being 2 yarders or sideline catches by the #3 slot WR.
3. If I REALLY want to stop him (if it's Welker for example) I can manually double cover him from the FS spot and end up with at least 2 probably more INTs every game.
4. Matchup my best CB with the #3 WR and watch him pick up 2-3 INTs a game.

Being a very sim-minded guy who hates seeing stupid stats, none of those options are very appealing to me. I'm the kind of guy who would play through franchise mode after franchise mode on the PS2 all year long, and I can finally do that again on NCAA 11 this year. This stupid CPU slot crap makes playing defense mind numbingly simple and no fun. I have never seen anyone else complain about this so I assume there is a way to end it, fill me in please.
NHL: LA Kings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: CPU Slot abuse

I know exactly what you mean. I always try and play my games realistically but with Madden it's like you have to cheese to compete.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

the single greatest reason i HATE madden now..

the cpu has no priority in the pass game

i tried everything to edit this, i did roster edits where the slot guy was beyond slow he still got open quicker, he ran routes under the D or angular routes that the DB cant cover.

even if i put revis on the slot he gets wide open quickest....

the only thing that helped was the reaction slider at 100....

this is never mentioned for patching EVER. its in NCAA too.

all the sim heads HERE never SEE THIS as an issue to put our efforts behind. we have been searching for a cure for this last yr as well.........

typical game the slot guy gets 8 catches and the #1 WR gets 2.

manningham
doucet
bryant
collie
nanee
knox
harvin
avant
L Moore & Mechum

according to madden 11 gameplay these are the best WR's in the NFL.

they get 10 grabs and 15 targets per game,

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 13

why hasn't anyone posted a 'your mom' joke about 'slot abuse' yet?!

on topic, i've noticed this too. eli manning throws to mario manningham 18 times a game. it's insane. i hate it. with the most recent patch, i've been seeing some of the other WRs get involved, but i'm thinking that's coincidental. i think the reason is the way db's and wr's react, slot guys get open way easier than outside guys do. even if outside guys do get open, the other corners can adjust easier. i've been controlling the mlb to combat the shot slants and crossing routes from the slot guys, but it's still a concern.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I've been seeing this less with the patch but I'd say you have to do what it takes to pay extra attention to the slot or,which kinda sucks,place the #1 receivers of the team your playing in the slot before the game.They won't see the field in the 2-receiver set but will be possibly targeted more.To this point many teams do position their receivers all over the field so it's not that extreme of a thing to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

the only comparison I can give for a slot WR compared to madden and real life...

Austin Collie 15 Receptions 16 targets thusfar in three games. Just saying.

On a side note I see your frustration but I have been able to consistently force the CPU to look for different reads by bringing pressure on the QB as this forces him to scan the field quickly and make a read.

I have yet truly run into a issue where the SLOT WR has caught a ridiculous amount of balls.

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7
the only comparison I can give for a slot WR compared to madden and real life...

Austin Collie 15 Receptions 16 targets thusfar in three games. Just saying.

On a side note I see your frustration but I have been able to consistently force the CPU to look for different reads by bringing pressure on the QB as this forces him to scan the field quickly and make a read.

I have yet truly run into a issue where the SLOT WR has caught a ridiculous amount of balls.
Actually Collie is leading the league with 27 receptions in 3 games in real life.Welker has been great in this role with the most receptions over the last couple years.

The #1 receiver is usually getting the most receptions after the patch but not targeted as much as they should be.Before the patch Bess would get more than Marshall and B.Johnson more than C.Johnson almost all the time and by a sizable amount.They still spread it out a little too much when there's a distinctive #1 on a team.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. I just finished my post 1.03 franchise first season last night and ran Golden Tate as the slot receiver. My last 2 games he got 6 and 11 catches for over 250 yards and 3 TDs.

It's annoying having to cheese a CPU but hey, I feel the CPU deliberately goes out of its way to win sometimes. I do feel a little dumb feeling good about sticking it to a computer program, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »