Home

I have Madden 09, is 11 a good step up?

This is a discussion on I have Madden 09, is 11 a good step up? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16
I have Madden 09, is 11 a good step up?

I like 09 and think it plays well, after reading some of the impressions the consensus is spilt with some liking 11 and some hating it.

I am not a big video game football player but would 11 be a good purchase for someone who skipped 10? Or, is 09 a stronger game just lacking the new animations and stadium sounds?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: I have Madden 09, is 11 a good step up?

Yes get it, Madden 09 isn't as good as 10 was and 11 is even better than 10 so I would in a heartbeat.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I like Madden 11 more than 10 and 09. I am a big offline franchise guy and I am a big fan of the draft classes in madden 11. They are a lot better than the madden 10 draft classes that were an upgrade to the 09 ones.

I also really think the gameplay is better in my opinion, and that it has improved each year (although not nearly as much as I think it should have.)

I like that the sideline catches are mostly fixed, and I love the controlling the pass rush with the thumb sticks. I love the potential rating vs the progression system for the 09 game.

I guess it really comes down to. What kind of madden player are you? Do you just play online? Are you a big offline or online franchise guy? What is it that you really like?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
I like 09 and think it plays well, after reading some of the impressions the consensus is spilt with some liking 11 and some hating it.

I am not a big video game football player but would 11 be a good purchase for someone who skipped 10? Or, is 09 a stronger game just lacking the new animations and stadium sounds?
The people who are split on Madden 11 were united in their hatred of Madden 09. If you had Madden 10 or Madden 2005, you might find some argument, but Madden 11 is vastly superior to 09, and I doubt I'll get much argument.

That said, you think it plays fairly well, so it's quite possible your tastes don't mesh with the majority of this community. Give it a rental.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

The rental business is as good as dead where I live lol.

Anyways. 11>09.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

Thanks for the responses.

I am a casual NFL gamer. Madden 09 suited me well enough but I am interested in upgrading after missing 10 so this should be good. I am pleased to hear that the animations have improved and stadium sound and atmosphere has improved, the latter of which was terrible in 09.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Robot
Thanks for the responses.

I am a casual NFL gamer. Madden 09 suited me well enough but I am interested in upgrading after missing 10 so this should be good. I am pleased to hear that the animations have improved and stadium sound and atmosphere has improved, the latter of which was terrible in 09.
Madden underwent drastic changes in '10, moving toward a somewhat more hardcore feel. Madden 11 furthered the realism aspects. NCAA 11 did the same, but probably executed it a bit better. NCAA 11 is probably the best football game on the market today (though I expect that to change with the 2nd Madden patch).

As a casual... well, I don't think NCAA 11 or Madden 11 are any less "casual friendly" than Madden 09... though the gamespeed is slower, it's more methodical and more realistic. Madden 11 has some AI bugs to be ironed out at the moment... NCAA has had its second patch is purring like a kitten right now.

Download the Madden and NCAA demos... keep in mind, though, that both games play noticeably better in retail than they do in the demos (NCAA especially).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

I live Australia and NCAA 11 didn't release here. I am not that much of a fan to ship it from the States.

I have read that there are numerous issues with the ai but I am not really sure I know the sport well enough to notice them. My biggest concerns with the gameplay in past Maddens is that there just didn't seem to be much difference bewteen the yearly iterations to warrant a gamer like me (who enjoys the real NFL but is not that into as a video game) to get it yearly.

I also have been surprised that as enormous as this franchise is it just doesn't seem to make the leaps that other lesser sports like the NHL have made or even FIFA.

I have checked numerous reviews on youtube and think the graphics look better than 09, the animations make it look more life like and if the crwod atmosphere has been improved I could really enjoy the game as a casual fan.

But on that last point about the crowd atmosphere it boggles me how EA's NHL and FIFA games have really nailed the atmosphere of those sports so well yet Madden with all its financial resources just seems so flat and unanimated.

Still, I think will go trade in some games and add Madden 11 to my games collection.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »