Home

What do you dislike most about Madden?

This is a discussion on What do you dislike most about Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
What do you dislike most about Madden?

There are really only a few things that tick me off when I play.

1) Suction blocking and tackling. In real life if a defender has a step on an o-lineman and is faster he is going to beat him, hands down, unless the o-lineman holds or gets lucky. I'm tired of beating the dude off the line and getting a step around him only to be sucked back in more a blocking animation. I've been robbed of so many qb sacks and hurries this year and it's getting super old.

2) Broken tackles. If I send in an elite LB on a rub blitz and he gets to the rb on the pitch, the rb is going down 9 times out of 10, but not in Madden. Most of the time the RB breaks the first tackle and it's getting old. I am calling the right plays and it should reflect, but too often it doesn't make a difference and the RB just shakes off the tackle and carries on.

3) Physics. Strength and size seem to have very little to do with anything and everything seems to be all based off animations instead of actual physics. When a player is at the goal line, stops and then jumps 8 yards deep over my d line, WTF is that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: What do you dislike most about Madden?

Your second point is meant to have been addressed with the latest patch.

For me, the biggest let down is Franchise mode.... It's also the only mode I play so it obviously isn't causing me too many problems but I really do hope it gets a HUGE overhaul for M12.
XboxGT:Lewis584
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis584
Your second point is meant to have been addressed with the latest patch.

For me, the biggest let down is Franchise mode.... It's also the only mode I play so it obviously isn't causing me too many problems but I really do hope it gets a HUGE overhaul for M12.
Franchise mode is okay. It has all the basic elements to be fun, and even though it isn't very deep it's not shallow. I do like it, but it's getting old.

I am seriously hoping they make next years franchise mode like HC 09 and allow you to develop your players based on their performence and how they practice. I would also like to see the ability to offer incentive based contracts as well as a player who has a breakout year ask for a better contract, not just because of his rating but based on how well he adds to the team.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

Franchise is boring.No consequences for having a losing team.

Its nothing like PS2 version.

No replay value at all.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltliquor84
There are really only a few things that tick me off when I play.

1) Suction blocking and tackling. In real life if a defender has a step on an o-lineman and is faster he is going to beat him, hands down, unless the o-lineman holds or gets lucky. I'm tired of beating the dude off the line and getting a step around him only to be sucked back in more a blocking animation. I've been robbed of so many qb sacks and hurries this year and it's getting super old.

2) Broken tackles. If I send in an elite LB on a rub blitz and he gets to the rb on the pitch, the rb is going down 9 times out of 10, but not in Madden. Most of the time the RB breaks the first tackle and it's getting old. I am calling the right plays and it should reflect, but too often it doesn't make a difference and the RB just shakes off the tackle and carries on.

3) Physics. Strength and size seem to have very little to do with anything and everything seems to be all based off animations instead of actual physics. When a player is at the goal line, stops and then jumps 8 yards deep over my d line, WTF is that?
All three are actually centered around physics, so a proper physics-engine should solve your mentioned dislikes.

For me there are many things, but if I were to narrow it down to three things I'd say physics, the passing system and the ratings system as the franchise mode is already being revamped for Madden 12.

As I've mentioned else where I think the ratings and potential system needs an extreme make-over and preferably from EA Canada.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

I am not sure if I dislike anything, but what hurts Madden 11 most for me is in my opinion how great NCAA 11 gameplay and presentation is for ME. Madden 09 and NCAA 10 were so awful, that Madden 10 felt like the greatest football game ever and I played it right until NCAA 11 released.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 11

What I dislike most is the coding of the game that makes it difficult to find a balance and challenge.

I've tried lots of different sliders, and the game always ends up being either too difficult or too easy.

It's very frustrating playing a game where ratings don't matter - I.E. I could have a 99 catch rated receiver who drops passes because the coding needs to artificially simulate a challenge. I have o-linemen with 90 ratings in pass blocking who get tossed aside like nothing by CPU controlled role players on the d-line.

Really, this is my biggest gripe. I can deal with the actual game flow (not to be confused with GameFlow) not being a 100% accurate representation of NFL football (even the BEST of the BEST sports games are still just that - video games - and have unrealistic, "video game" type occurrences)

But it is frustrating when there is no balance to be found in the difficulty sliders, because all the sliders do is tell the AI to either beat you on a play, or let you beat them. I have not found a setting or set of sliders that actually consider individual player ratings, strengths and weaknesses that allow the players on the field, and the matchups, to determine the game instead of a pre-determined outcome decided simply by how far to the left or right you have a slider.

I also hate that the on field play is also determined so greatly by animations - animations that really have no business happening. Like, for instance, smaller scat backs pushing and falling forward against 2 big beefy linebackers trying to push him back.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Suction blocking and overpowered arm tackles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »