Home

Is Madden the top selling sports game?

This is a discussion on Is Madden the top selling sports game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:14 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Is Madden the top selling sports game?

PES is much better than FIFA because it's so much realistic. In FIFA, you can take the ball in your own side and just past every opponents to score. In PES, there's no way you can do that. You have to build your offense in order to score like in the real game.

I would say Madden is like FIFA and NFL2K is like PES. Madden like FIFA has more extras (Owner Mode for Madden, pro players licences for FIFA), more advanced control (Playmaker for Madden and lot of dribbles for FIFA) but when it comes to what happen on the field, NFL2K is far more realistic like PES (I've played Madden and FIFA since 1994, so i can really tell you that I have seen a big difference when I jumped to PES and NFL2K3).
But one thing is different. FIFA has better graphics than PES but Madden graphics doesn't reach the quality of NFL2k'ones.
So this year FIFA 2004 and MADDEN 2004 will again have better sales (because of hardcore EA fans that doesn't care about real simulation but loves all the extras and simple games where you win easily after a couple of games), but PES3 and ESPN 2004 will be the most realistic sport games which make them for me, the best games tout court!
I said goodbye to EA sports and welcomed Sega Sports and KONAMI, because they produce what i'm looking for in a sport game: REALISM!!! but EA's games are great stuff, no doubt here.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM   #18
Rookie

Quote:

steph said:
PES is much better than FIFA because it's so much realistic. In FIFA, you can take the ball in your own side and just past every opponents to score. In PES, there's no way you can do that. You have to build your offense in order to score like in the real game.

I would say Madden is like FIFA and NFL2K is like PES. Madden like FIFA has more extras (Owner Mode for Madden, pro players licences for FIFA), more advanced control (Playmaker for Madden and lot of dribbles for FIFA) but when it comes to what happen on the field, NFL2K is far more realistic like PES (I've played Madden and FIFA since 1994, so i can really tell you that I have seen a big difference when I jumped to PES and NFL2K3).
But one thing is different. FIFA has better graphics than PES but Madden graphics doesn't reach the quality of NFL2k'ones.
So this year FIFA 2004 and MADDEN 2004 will again have better sales (because of hardcore EA fans that doesn't care about real simulation but loves all the extras and simple games where you win easily after a couple of games), but PES3 and ESPN 2004 will be the most realistic sport games which make them for me, the best games tout court!
I said goodbye to EA sports and welcomed Sega Sports and KONAMI, because they produce what i'm looking for in a sport game: REALISM!!! but EA's games are great stuff, no doubt here.

I expect a full explanation on why ESPN NFL Football is more of an accurate simulation of the game pro football. I'm not going to allow you out of this one.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #19
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

I think I remember reading somewhere that Tony Hawk outsells any other sports game. I'm not sure if they mean in the years in which new Tony Hawk games have been released or just overall the 4 Tony Hawk games have outsold Madden since TH's release. Not really sure, but I am pretty sure I remembered reading it somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me though, Tony Hawk seems to appeal to sports gamers and non sports gamers, as big as the market for Madden is, it is limited to football fans only. Just about anybody with a videogame console is a potential buyer for Tony Hawk...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #20
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Flair4TheGold said:
Quote:

steph said:

I expect a full explanation on why ESPN NFL Football is more of an accurate simulation of the game pro football. I'm not going to allow you out of this one.

WE = NFL2k
FIFA = Madden

I respectfully submit that the above equation is bullsh#t.

As someone pointed out above, there is very little debate about which soccer game better captures the sport. The only people who would say FIFA are those who haven't played WE. However, Madden vs. NFL2k is a different story. They've both got their strengths and they've both got their glaring flaws. You can't build an airtight case for either game like you can with WE and FIFA. Bad analogy.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:34 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

the highest selling game will be Rageball!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 10

I hope this question is a joke, cause EA will be the top selling game till ESPN the closest competitor raises there marketing plans, but as for this year it isn't known yet.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:59 PM   #23
Rookie

kirkhart's Arena

Quote:

WE = NFL2k
FIFA = Madden

I respectfully submit that the above equation is bullsh#t.

As someone pointed out above, there is very little debate about which soccer game better captures the sport. The only people who would say FIFA are those who haven't played WE. However, Madden vs. NFL2k is a different story. They've both got their strengths and they've both got their glaring flaws. You can't build an airtight case for either game like you can with WE and FIFA. Bad analogy.

I agree completely...it's funny how (once again) someone managed to get in a shot at Madden in a thread that was completely unrelated to the eternal Madden vs. ESPN debate. I tried to prevent that by pointing out that ESPN and Madden are both considered quality titles and it really comes down to personal preferences while there was not much of a debate about FIFA vs. WE. If you think FIFA's gameplay is on the same level as WE's, you either haven't played both games or you are a liar. I should have known better though. A much better comparison is NHL 2003 vs. NHL 2k3. EA Sports may have some issues with realistic gameplay in their soccer and hockey titles, but they do a good job with their football games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »