Home

Pricing for Online Play?

This is a discussion on Pricing for Online Play? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Pricing for Online Play?

hey
i was wondering if there will be fees for online play for PS2 or PC? ive heard PC will, but no confirmed
thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: Pricing for Online Play?

Well, as of right now it should be free to go online in Madden across the board (ps2, PC). That is my understanding.

There have been talks from EA considering going to some kind of pay for play and pay for downloads financial model. I don't think it will happen this year. If it does, EA won't see me online.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

As of now, Madden is free.

I have read an interview that discussed that beginning with NBA Live, EA will be sponsoring pay-for-play tournaments. Pay an entry fee for a tournament, and you can win prizes. Right now, that appears to be their console online fee plan.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

That sounds Ok fossen. As long as they don't start charging for roster download updates. I don't remember where I heard that, but I remember either someone saying or me reading that EA was considering a pay for download model as well.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
MVP

Kevin926's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

fossen said:

I have read an interview that discussed that beginning with NBA Live, EA will be sponsoring pay-for-play tournaments. Pay an entry fee for a tournament, and you can win prizes. Right now, that appears to be their console online fee plan.

Do you know if it is only paying for tournaments or do you need to pay to play friendly games online?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

PS2 is free but for online leagues on PC I believe it is $4.95 a month, you can still play exhibition on PC free though.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:52 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

PC is $5.95/month and it is a set fee to play all easo games online. I've also seen interviews on G4 with EA execs saying that they are looking for console charges starting with NBA Live this year which is expected to start with pay to play tournaments and pay to download rosters and content in general. They will probably end up adopting and monthly subscription like they have on the PC though.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Kevin926 said:
Quote:

fossen said:

Do you know if it is only paying for tournaments or do you need to pay to play friendly games online?

Wish I could find the interview I'm thinking of .... but basicall, he said that there's no plans to charge people for head-to-head play. That would continue to be free, and they would add charges for premium content.

I would figure that charging for rosters would be pretty weak. Not only are the community created rosters often faster and better, but I can't imagine that people wouldn't share the rosters by Sharkport.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »