Home

Playmaker impressions.......

This is a discussion on Playmaker impressions....... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
Playmaker impressions.......

......Cheese

Buddy of mine got his hands on a copy (PS2) yesterday. I didn't have time to play him, but as an ESPN fan I was quite impressed with the player models and the animations that I did have time to see. They're really not as bad as ESPN fans make them out to be.

I was most interested in the playmaker controls though, so I watched him try to get the hang of it for a few minutes and also watched the tutorial. Initially, I thought it was a pretty cool idea. The pre-snap adjustments for changing the direction of the play/safety coverage was slick. Also if you're quick, you can can call out pass or run immediately after the snap and really converge on the ball carrier. This will KILL you on a play-fake, also pretty cool...

The problem comes with the ball carrier playmaker control. You can call out blocks, which on the surface seems like a good idea. The problem is, watching him practice doing it, this will have the same effect of freestyle dribbling on NBA Live. He had his back (E. James) practicing sweeps and every single time, he would get to the outside and kinda run around behind scrimmage until he had directed all of the blockers.

This looked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lame.

Even the CPU kinda does this in the tutorial with Warrick Dunn. The concept is cool but the implementation is gonna be corny and cheeeeeeeeeeeez-E. This is gonna make every back seem like Barry Sanders. There will be a lot of starting/stopping, jitter-bugging and nonsensical running around/between the blockers. And OMG the scrambling QB's will be unstoppable. He told me his first game was the Browns against the Falcons, 5 min, all-pro. Vick had close to 150 on the ground before he gave up and headed to practice mode.

To be fair, you have to have good twitch skills to pull this off, controlling the back and the blocking at the same time, and REAL football-heads prolly won't over-use this feature, but the cheesers will have a FIELD-DAY with it. Ugghh.....

Its gonna be a LOOOOOOONG season online for PS2'ers....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Playmaker impressions.......

Well remember it's the first year with this playmaker on MADDEN i'm sure that it'll get better next year. I do agree that it can be abused a bit but if you play the right defense you can almost ALWAYS stop the run.

As for Vick i've heard that he's unstoppable in the game. Now if it was someone like McNabb or Favre then i'd worry.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
Rookie

nastyshoes69's Arena

OVR: 3

the idea of playemaker control is a good one,but it looks stupid when there r alot of people around,but it will be its most evective when there is 1 blocker and 1 defenves men.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

i think it will be a cool feature, and HOPEFULLY if to many cheezers use it online they can patch it somehow. But im not gonna run around in the back field for 5 mins to set up a 80 yrd run.....just not real to me.

Ill use it to call out a block when im trying to break a run or to pick up a blitz but im not gonna abuse it.

I hope EA knows about this and if it gets out of hand they can fix it.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't understand all this "cheese" crap or whatever people are calling it? Also, it seems like there is a lot of Madden [censored you naughty boy] vs. ESPN [censored you naughty boy]. WHY? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS EITHER. I happen to own a ps2 and xbox and will probably buy both Madden and ESPN and enjoy both of them becuz they will be good games. Maybe I will prefer one over the other but that doesn't mean the other game sucks.

I think most people would have to agree with me that even if they prefer say ESPN over Madden, that doesn't mean Madden sucks correct? We're all football fans, and we all need to take a step back and appreciate these games we're able to play in this day and age.

And just becuz one person enjoys a certain game more, doesn't mean EVERYONE has to feel the same sentiment. I feel kind of stupid even having to say that, but after reading some of these posts it actually seems relevant. I guess I got started on this rant because of the negative comments made about Madden and the playmaker control being "cheesy" becuz you can have your rb tell your blockers where to block.

Sounds kind of awesome to me. But hey, to each his own

BTW, why will playing online with Madden be a looong season? I'm assuming that's a negative statement? I have been playing NCAA online and find it to be rather fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 PM   #6
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

good read !!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:17 PM   #7
The Batman

soltrain's Arena

OVR: 16

How did he get his hands on a copy?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
MVP

soxboy7's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

AirLobo23 said:
I don't understand all this "cheese" crap or whatever people are calling it? Also, it seems like there is a lot of Madden [censored you naughty boy] vs. ESPN [censored you naughty boy]. WHY? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS EITHER. I happen to own a ps2 and xbox and will probably buy both Madden and ESPN and enjoy both of them becuz they will be good games. Maybe I will prefer one over the other but that doesn't mean the other game sucks.

I think most people would have to agree with me that even if they prefer say ESPN over Madden, that doesn't mean Madden sucks correct? We're all football fans, and we all need to take a step back and appreciate these games we're able to play in this day and age.

And just becuz one person enjoys a certain game more, doesn't mean EVERYONE has to feel the same sentiment. I feel kind of stupid even having to say that, but after reading some of these posts it actually seems relevant. I guess I got started on this rant because of the negative comments made about Madden and the playmaker control being "cheesy" becuz you can have your rb tell your blockers where to block.

Sounds kind of awesome to me. But hey, to each his own

BTW, why will playing online with Madden be a looong season? I'm assuming that's a negative statement? I have been playing NCAA online and find it to be rather fun.

I understand what your saying. I hate it when ESPN guys will flame Madden , for no other reason then that it's not Madden. But HM was not dissing Madden for dumb reasons. Sure what he said is sort of a downer. But it sounds like legit gripes he is bringing up. I'm sort of worried about "play maker" now. But I don't play online anyway and I know I won't personally over use it. So it's all good. Also thanks for the impressions HM

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »