Home

Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

This is a discussion on Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are You Starting To Lose Passion For Madden?
Yes 240 64.52%
No 30 8.06%
I've Lost Interest For This Game Along Time Ago 90 24.19%
Are You Crazy Madden Is Headed In The Right Direction!!! 12 3.23%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

NCAA bores me to tears also in that its a college game, theres like a hundred teams or so. I want a smaller list of teams, I want to know the players.

Oh yeah I want to gameplan, cant do that anymore. Spent two weeks making gameplans and now they are useless.

I think this year had the most to it for me at least, since Im a huge franchise guy. But they took it away. So my interest in madden is now gone.

Havent gotten nba2k11 yet, but do have FIFA 11 and doing the be a pro mode, its extremely awesome and fun. Though the difference in difficulty between levels is pretty staggering to me.

One level I can score 3 goals a game, another level I lose 5 games in a row and get maybe 2 or 3 touches on the ball.

I dunno, anyway yeah madden has way lost my interest.

SteelD
Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #10
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Why?
It is an amateur sport. It is like getting excited for minor league baseball. That is what it is. Thousands of players that aren't good enough to be a pro and the fanfare school pride thing does nothing for me.

There are probably a myriad of other reason I haven't even given thought to.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

I voted yes, because Madden can't capture my interest for long anymore.

Madden 2005 and 2006 for last-gen (PS2) were probably the Madden games that I and my friends played the most, and we had so much fun playing them. Since then most of my friends started skipping Madden every second year, and this year they all skipped it and some bought NCAA, while some skipped football games all together.

I buy Madden every year and used to play it throughout the entire football season, but this year it only lasted through the preseason. Next year I'll probably won't buy it unless it gets some serious overhauls.

As for sports games me and my friends are spending hours playing NHL 11 and FIFA 11 now - hours that we once spend playing Madden. And even though I don't follow the NHL or soccer in real life, I love playing those games.

On the other hand I spend hours watching football games as well as checking football news and managing my fantasy team on a daily basis, but I haven't played a single game of Madden for more than a month. I've done some rating tests in practice mode, but that's not enough to justify me keeping M11, so I'll be trading it in soon - especially since I just read the disappointing news about the upcoming title update.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Yes only because I'm stationed in Europe and can't adjust my life to 31 other people in the States to have a great online franchise experience. Madden '11 is the 2k5 Killer, y'all just gonna have to respect those guys "hustle" and move on in my most humble opinion. Y'all take that exclusive liscense ish a little too far sometimes, it takes two to tango and I haven't read about anyone on these forums bashing/boycotting the NFL

Edit: I think their headed in the right direction, yup that was me... I'll explain further if need be.

Last edited by JerzeyReign; 10-20-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
As you get older you realize that things like video games just don't hold your attention as much as they used to.

You also realize that a game like Madden isn't as close to the NFL as you remember Tecmo Bowl being when you were a kid. It just happens.

I would also say, that in comparison to the NBA, MLB and even FIFA and the NHL, the NFL is probably the hardest game to bring to video games in a realistic way. There is just so much to it. I think the NHL probably comes closest to it in complexity of actually playing.

I mean, I hear glowing things about the baseball games and basketball games out there and wish that Madden was getting those reviews, but then I remember that basketball, while it maintains a much quicker pace game play wise, is a five on five sport on a relatively small court. It also doesn't have anywhere close to the player interactions that football does.

I also remember that baseball plays about as fast as a round of golf and lends itself far better to having better presented games for it since half of the game are the hitters adjusting their wristbands and gloves before a pitch. It literally is 10 guys standing on a field for minutes at a time with only two to three guys engaging in action at any given time. It damn well should have better presented games.

Soccer has a lot of similarities to football in a sense that it is a similarly sized field with about the same amount of people on the field at the same time, yet like baseball, when you watch it, there are really only three or four guys doing more than just slowly jogging around at a given time.

Hockey, like basketball is five on five and even quicker paced. Yet it still is played in a much smaller venue and despite all it's contact, doesn't present the complexity of player interaction that football does.

It is my opinion, that football present the hardest of the major sports to bring realistically to consoles. Not to mention the level of real world presentation the NFL actually gets.

Anyway, before I start a long drawn out debate, my point is, that yeah, as we get older these things become far more apparent and they go to making us lose interest. I myself, still love Madden. I play the crap out of it and I hope that it is going in the right direction.
Sounds like EA aplogists and excuses here. Every single sport has there intricate nuances. Games like MLB the Show have such a level of etail and authenticity its mind boggling. You are talking over 500 MLB players, and each and every one of them habe signature betting batting stances and rituals, pitching styles, not to mention the commentary, TV style presentation, every single ballbark being nailed down to the smallest details, and the list goes on.

Same thing for NBA and NHL. Both game capture their respectabe sports in a complete package, game play, authenticity, presentation, and all the bells and whistles. Madden hasn't changed much at all over the years and these other developers are embarrassing them.

As far how "complicated" football is, well NFL 2K5 pretty much nailed it 5 years ago on LESSER hardware. I'm tired of the excuses. EA has the exclusive NFL license which gives them unprecedented access to the league, they can fully integrate NFL network and all its presenation.... they just don't do anything but tweak dated, existing code and update rosters every year.

After playing NBA2K11, MLB The Show 10, NHL 11, and FIFA, its clear that Tiburon is FAR behind in the sports game genre.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Edit: I think their headed in the right direction, yup that was me... I'll explain further if need be.

Please share why u think so? I am curious to know.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Haven't played Madden since 2k hoops came out.

I just don't have the time anymore to play two games for over 2 hours anymore, plus 2k11 is holding my attention at the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7

I'll say yes.

I'm in Europe and travel with work/ have a wife that likes to watch TV/ other reasons why online franchise doesn't work for me.

Offline franchise it is, then. I actually enjoy the off-season in Madden 11 but it's bland, and after winning a couple straight SuperBowls there's not much else to do.

I know EA can't insert things like misbehaving players, but I love sports for the human element. Madden reduces everybody to an EXcel spreadsheet and the lack of humanity is what does it for me.

Then there is the gameplay. The difficulty levels are daft. All-Madden should be no-holds-barred simulation with no help. No coach mode, no graphics showing what routes your WRs will be running, what zones your seconaries are playing, etc. If you audible a play, you have to remember what it's going to be. JUST like if you were Brees. It should require that you know by heart where each player is going to be. Instead it just cheats you into losing.

I'd challenge the assertion that an NFL game has more complex interactions than soccer. NFL plays last a maximum of 10 seconds, and during that time, yes it's more complex. But soccer plays for much longer and the game would have to factor in player fatigue through the game, as well as positions if a long ball is kicked. It's different from NFL, granted, but no less complex. And not only does EA manage it in FIFA, they also give the players personalities... Didier Drogba throws the same temper tantrum in the game as irl when he's called off-side.

I think a big difference is EA's monopoly in NFL, with the 2 game regime of FIFA (EA and Konami).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »