Home

Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

This is a discussion on Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are You Starting To Lose Passion For Madden?
Yes 240 64.52%
No 30 8.06%
I've Lost Interest For This Game Along Time Ago 90 24.19%
Are You Crazy Madden Is Headed In The Right Direction!!! 12 3.23%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

For me its yes and no. From year to year I either play for a couple months or like Madden 10 until NCAA 11 released. This year I can't continue to make excuses to myself why I keep playing. I decided to move back down to Madden 10, because I miss having games that feel more defensive. Though I could be wrong play Madden 10 for a few minutes and go back. See what I mean "yes and no".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

Yes, I have bought every year since 92' and Madden has always been my favorite game through 2005. I played the last two years Madden for two weeks and then shelved it because I just do not consider it fun anymore.

Other sports games have opened my eyes to how poor Madden has become since switching to "next-gen". NHL 11, NBA 2k11, FIFA 11, and MLB the Show are all light years ahead of Madden in quality.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
For me its yes and no. From year to year I either play for a couple months or like Madden 10 until NCAA 11 released. This year I can't continue to make excuses to myself why I keep playing. I decided to move back down to Madden 10, because I miss having games that feel more defensive. Though I could be wrong play Madden 10 for a few minutes and go back. See what I mean "yes and no".

For ****'s and giggles I pulled out Madden 2010 and popped it in (I don't trade my sports titles..they are worthless in trades so I keep them) and I gotta tell ya it does not compare to 2011.

Not even close IMO. Too many exploits and bugs and boooooring. I like defense as much as the next guy but the passing game is awful in 2010. A total bore.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
For ****'s and giggles I pulled out Madden 2010 and popped it in (I don't trade my sports titles..they are worthless in trades so I keep them) and I gotta tell ya it does not compare to 2011.

Not even close IMO. Too many exploits and bugs and boooooring. I like defense as much as the next guy but the passing game is awful in 2010. A total bore.
For me, it's the run blocking and locomotion. These two things in '11 make '10 obsolete.

Run blocking isn't perfect (though it's annoying to always have to say that in order to prevent someone from replying with some snarky comment), but it is the best run blocking logic in video game history, and not by a little bit either. If they could take the approach they took with run blocking AI and apply it to pass blocking, pass rush, coverage, and pursuit, the game play would make massive strides next year.

There's a lot more than needs to be addressed in the long run, but those AI changes would be the biggest step forward they could possibly make. The biggest plus is that its all data-driven changes. It'll require some animations, but it can be done in one cycle I think.

Along with a deep and engaging franchise mode, those changes would make me a very happy camper. I'd love to have physics based tackling and blocking, but if the AI is flawed, it doesn't matter much. Expand Real Assignment AI to cover those areas and I'll forgive canned tackling animations for another year or two.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'm starting to lose interest in madden for two different reasons and neither one has to do with "EA screwing up" or "EA messing up the game". Madden is awesome but:

1) I am getting older (25) and I no longer have the time i once did (high school and college) to get deep into the game and play like I used to (2-4 games daily)

2) The uncanny valley will always be there. The realer these games get the more you are drawn into them, but the minute you see some unhuman thing happen, it slaps you harder than it would have if you were playing sega genisis 15 yeard ago.

I will win...
NBA-Bulls, Thunder
NFL-Da Bears, Eagles
MLB-Whitesox
C-Football-The Ohio State University, Illinois
C-Basketball-Duke
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
For me, it's the run blocking and locomotion. These two things in '11 make '10 obsolete.

Run blocking isn't perfect (though it's annoying to always have to say that in order to prevent someone from replying with some snarky comment), but it is the best run blocking logic in video game history, and not by a little bit either. If they could take the approach they took with run blocking AI and apply it to pass blocking, pass rush, coverage, and pursuit, the game play would make massive strides next year.

There's a lot more than needs to be addressed in the long run, but those AI changes would be the biggest step forward they could possibly make. The biggest plus is that its all data-driven changes. It'll require some animations, but it can be done in one cycle I think.

Along with a deep and engaging franchise mode, those changes would make me a very happy camper. I'd love to have physics based tackling and blocking, but if the AI is flawed, it doesn't matter much. Expand Real Assignment AI to cover those areas and I'll forgive canned tackling animations for another year or two.

How could I forget that too! The running game this year in both Madden and NCAA is great. And that has always been my favorite part of playing any football game. The 2 stick controls are so smooth (not perfect) and I agree the run blocking is great.

And yeah it is tiresome that we do have to put in that disclaimer almost every post!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPeRBoWlHeRo
Sounds like EA aplogists and excuses here. Every single sport has there intricate nuances. Games like MLB the Show have such a level of etail and authenticity its mind boggling. You are talking over 500 MLB players, and each and every one of them habe signature betting batting stances and rituals, pitching styles, not to mention the commentary, TV style presentation, every single ballbark being nailed down to the smallest details, and the list goes on.

Same thing for NBA and NHL. Both game capture their respectabe sports in a complete package, game play, authenticity, presentation, and all the bells and whistles. Madden hasn't changed much at all over the years and these other developers are embarrassing them.

As far how "complicated" football is, well NFL 2K5 pretty much nailed it 5 years ago on LESSER hardware. I'm tired of the excuses. EA has the exclusive NFL license which gives them unprecedented access to the league, they can fully integrate NFL network and all its presenation.... they just don't do anything but tweak dated, existing code and update rosters every year.

After playing NBA2K11, MLB The Show 10, NHL 11, and FIFA, its clear that Tiburon is FAR behind in the sports game genre.

My thoughts exactly. Good post!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #32
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

When you play the 'same' game for years, this will happen. I played 2k form 2k6-2k8 hard, really wasnt into 2k9-10. I was more likely to play NBA Live 10 last year despite 2k10 being a more complete game. But b/c I played those rarely, I like 2k11 much better and it's fresher.

Same w/ the Show, I have played it hardcore since 06 on Ps2. I'd have to say i didnt play this years or last yrs too much. The show is the best baseball game, but i feel myself rooting for 2k baseball b/c i want a new experience. Because while the Show has improved, We are still playing a similar version of the ps2 games. Sometimes you need break, regardless of how 'good' something is.

I would say this is the plight of being and avid sports only gamer, you need more games in your rotation....dont play a game to death, try to make it last throught the season. Some ppl play 1 game everyday for 6 hrs, you just lose interest in that over time. You know, after watch all the Saints games for 4 yrs, i opted out of the first half to watch the season premiere of HOUSE. Sometimes you just need to switch it up...

Also, for me, games seem better when i watch it on TV...i watch FIBA, so i played FIBA on Live 10....Sundays I play Madden, Saturdays NCAA...duplicating some of the games I watched. Honestly, i'm enjoying madden. I'm glad they have gotten back to a respectable level. I didnt really play 06-09 so the experience is at least satisfactory enough for my entertainment....its not the glory days of Madden, but I think i get my $60 worth.

So i guess i would say, yea but not really lol....i just have a broader scope of interest these days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »