Home

What area do you hope to see the MOST improvement in Madden 12?

This is a discussion on What area do you hope to see the MOST improvement in Madden 12? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What's the area you hope for the biggest upgrade in Madden 12?
Presentation (including commentary) 18 9.28%
Gameplay 65 33.51%
Modes (Franchise, etc.) 104 53.61%
Graphics 3 1.55%
Online (features, stability, whatever) 4 2.06%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: What area do you hope to see the MOST improvement in Madden 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Maybe Ian will see this poll, lol.
Doesn't matter if he does. I've always been of the understanding that EA believes we're some off base sect of the Madden population that has different desires than the other 5M Madden purchasers. Our 100-1000 person polls have no weight because of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

Online Franchise!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #43
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Wow, over 40 posts and no one has mentioned "There are different teams that work on diferrent parts of the game". Presentation, Gameplay, Modes and Online all need huge upgrades for me to ever consider a buy next year. In order though...

1. Gameplay. It's bad imo. (sorry to the guys enjoying it, but thats my opinion). Bad physics, no double hit tackles, no individual bump n run or playing off one guy, no shading wrs, no lead blocking, no qb vision, and smaller playbooks than years past. This game needs to at least get back to ps2 standards, and it hasn't done that in 6 tries.

2. Presentation. It's practicaly non-existant and makes the game incredibly boring compared to those other sports games. Enough said on that.

3. Modes. Both franchise modes, the mini games, and superstar mode all need huge upgrades, The ability to create tournaments or play online tournaments also would be welcomed. (Once again, ps2 had it)

4. Online. Lags, disconnects are issues that hurt that experience as well.

In short, even though this is the "best nex-gen yet", this game needs a lot of love.

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 10-22-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #44
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
No question your not alone however there are a lot of us who really like the gameplay (offline) and want the frosting and immersion back of the last gen but taken to an even higher level of depth and visual quality that NB2K and The Show have shown can be done.

I see a clear split forming here.

1) Those that feel gameplay is really subpar for this gen and want that improved first and foremost

2) Those that really like playing the game (still enjoy the signature Madden feel) but want the mode and presentation side getting that next gen love that other sports titles have been able to do.

I think Madden has worked on gameplay much more than modes and presentation. It may not seem like it to the gameplay side of the debate but I surely have seen and feel the improvement with gameplay. This game does not play like PS1 and is a nice improvement from PS2 in regards to the running game.

I am curious what Madden will do for 2012.

Very curious.

The game may not play EXACTLY like PS1, or even PS2 for that matter, but they are much more similar than they are dissimilar. MUCH more so. Madden isn't the only game where this is the case, but it is more egregious on Madden than any other game.

When you have been developing a game for over 20yrs, there is absolutely no excuse for issues that were there in the very first 8bit game, to still be in games made on current gen, over 20yrs later. There just isn't.

Again, not saying that I don't want more modes, more options, and 2K11/ The Show type presentation. I want those things very much, but to say that they have worked on gameplay enough, when all the ridiculous stuff that happened on Genesis still happens on my shiny new HD console today... well let's just put it like this. They may have spent a ton of time working on the gameplay over the years, but the reality is that they really haven't gotten anywhere.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #45
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
A bit off topic, but it's funny that you mention that, because based my experiences with the NBA Elite 11 and NBA 2k11 demos, I found that NBA 2k11 had great presentation and graphics, but last-gen gameplay. Their animations, beautiful as the are, were not as fluid as NBA Elite's, and while their isomotion controls were a nice touch, the shooting reminded me of playing One On One on my Commodore 64.

On topic I do agree that Madden needs to attempt something new, because currently we are getting almost the same style of gameplay we got on last-gen. If you compare kickoff returns on M05 with M11 I don't see that big a difference, if you compare OL/DL interactions I won't see that big a difference either and the same goes for a lot of the tackle animations. Overall, that just very disappointing.

I still haven't tried either demo, although I have them downloaded on my PS3. I do plan to buy 2K11 soon also. Having said that, I don't doubt that 2K11 plays similarly to the PS2 2K B Ball games, just as the PS3 The Show's play like the PS2 ones. Like I said in my previous post, that in and of itself, isn't an indictment of any game. Not even Madden.

What is an indictment of Madden is that the gameplay in Madden has had the same issues for so long. Not cosmetic issues, but major ones, that this makes it not OK to have similar gameplay.

If 2K was around for 20+ years, and had the same issues for that long, I'd feel the same way about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
I agree with you in that the Madden 11 gameplay is playable with sliders changes, and that if they made the presentation / announcing / crowd chants make it feel alive, is better than horrible presentation and great gameplay. It just makes the game more intriguing and addicting.
I'm hoping for little things. I think if they try to improve game play, they'll break something. Gang tankles fixed equals bad single tackles, pass defense fixed equals robo secondaries you cannot ever beat. So I'm going for 3 things they could fix without compromising the gameplay.

1. Rain time. Madden10 was a different game in the rain, and affected me badly because I couldn't pass nearly so much. Against other pass-heavy teams I lived, against rushing teams I didn't. Make play in the snow something different, too. Make me slip sometimes when I'm running the ball and try to change direction too hard. Make the kicks the same difficult ones I could barely make in Madden 10.

2. Stadium atmosphere. The first time I went to Qwest Stadium, I was told to get ear plugs. I didn't. My ears rang for a week. When the away team is on offense, amp up the stadium noise, EA. Make the players look at each other in confusion when an audible is called. Make the WR routs go off occasionally. And what about other things, like the Mad 10 announcement, "To the ticket holder in seat Y 57, you've won a date with the cheerleader of your choice!" My wife would laugh at that one.

3. For goodness sake, fix the commentary. last night I hosted the Steelers, and late in the third quarter threw a game winning touchdown. Which was met with... stony silence. Then Chris chimes in with some casual comments about the drive... I don't get it. EA, focus the commentary on the big plays of a game. Touchdowns, interceptions, fumbles, huge throws, big runs, monster sacks. 6 things. Think up 15 things that Gus could burst out for each (or whatever) then cycle through them. Ignore the small 2 - 5 yard plays. Really. They're not that dramatic.

4. (I know, can't count). All the things you could do in Head Coach 09. Stick them in offline franchise. Simple.

I'd buy Mad12 again if the gameplay wasn't changed a bit and the above was. Not to mention that changing these are relatively small things that the programmer should be able to do over their morning coffees. Saves them time, saves you money, makes us happy, makes us buy, makes you money.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #47
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
On the flip side, how could you ever fall asleep while playing the "greatest gameplay to date" ? Because the commentary is stilted? They don't have enough motion captured cutscenes before the game? The menus aren't polished enough? If the "greatest gameplay to date" isn't enough to keep you interested, then why would you play games to begin with?

Thats what I said. I guess you and I are just different which is cool. There's plenty for everybody. But I'm a little older. And feeling like my passing being this or that or my running being this or that (gameplay) just doesn't hold me for very long "by itself." They need other things to go along with those nice animations.

I like for my games to come to life on screen as if I'm watching a game on television. Now THAT holds my attention. Gameplay alone just won't make the game classic. Not in my view.

Case in point...NHL 11. NHL 11 has probably the best hockey gameplay to date. But I can't believe this is 2010 and a game that good doesn't even have a freakn Intermission Report. Thats just dumb. This is hockey right??

For me....thats gets boring fast.

And by the way...presentation is wayyyyyyy more than cutscreens buddy.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #48
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Wow, over 40 posts and no one has mentioned "There are different teams that work on diferrent parts of the game". Presentation, Gameplay, Modes and Online all need huge upgrades for me to ever consider a buy next year.

We're aware of that. But I also stated that "all of the above" was just an obvious answer. We ALL want everything improved.

The question is which one you hope to see the MOST.......

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »