Home

People say anything good about the game?

This is a discussion on People say anything good about the game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #49
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: People say anything good about the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't disagree... but I would argue NHL was damn fun without the physics engine, and this is because it's such a great recreation of the sport and even untrained eyes can recognize that. They don't necessarily know why the game is right, they just know it is.

My entire point is Madden can't be that level of a recreation of football. It can't get that close. Most users would find that far more frustrating than fun, even compared to the game as it is now.
True. NHL was fun before the real-time physics engine. However, the previous editions of NHL suffered from the same as Madden do now. Repetition. You would see the same hit animations again and again, and they would not always emulate the force and momentum in a realistic way, though it was never as bad as Madden's tackle and sack animations. The RTP engine has fixed this and gives you an emotional response towards the game, because the everything looks, and therefore feels, real and unique.

But yes, the gameplay in NHL was good before. The RTP engine just made it even better

Quote:
By no means am I saying "Madden's already as good as it can get" at all. Not by a long, long ways. I'm only saying it's unfair and unrealistic of us to expect Madden to ever match FIFA and NHL for realism and authenticity... fun, yes. Realism, no. Madden cannot reach that level, it just wouldn't be fun. All it can do is give us a simplified version with that element of unpredictability.
I actually read a review that accused FIFA 11 of being too realistic, and therefore less fun. But I cannot agree with that point of view as there are 5 difficulty levels in FIFA along with several ways that you can make the CPU assist your game, if you think the game is too realistic.

Basically what lacks in Madden is not so much realism as in a full force RTP engine involving all 22 players. If they limit the RTP (or a proper collision system) to effect open field tackles initially, I'd be very pleased. Overall, I'd just like to see the game open up the tackles like NHL 11 has done. Every hit in NHL shows you the right animation, based on the calculations of the RTP engine, while every tackle in Madden just looks like another random animation with no respect of force or momentum - and it often chooses an animation you've seen too many times before
Old 10-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 2

I really think Madden suffered this year from NCAA 11. Out of the box NCAA 11 was awesome and people expected Madden 11 to do the same. This year there is something about NCAA that is just more fun period. Is Madden terrible not at all, but the fun factor is trumped by NCAA. If they made them the same exact game and just added NFL players most people I think would be satisfied. When they took away the ability to change teams throughout the franchise mode it made the game feel repetitive. Madden is good, just not good enough to compete with NCAA and the ability to change teams when you go through years of dynasty.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #51
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Jets
Since the latest patch this has been playing great for me. I really like it. I still don't think it's acceptable to release unfinished games like EA always do but at least they have sorted it out and it's the best Madden I've ever played personally.

Part of this might be that I play it less than I did at first and maybe I'm obsessing over the details a bit less but when I play the occasional game a week or something, I always have a good game so well done EA in that respect.

(Default All-Pro by the way, I can't be dealing with tweaking sliders all the time, life's too short).
Good post.

Like you, I've stopped looking for flaws and just try and enjoy the game the best I can.

If default All-Pro starts to become too easy for you, check out my Custom Sliders. They are a nice sweet spot between All-Pro and All-Madden. I've been having some great games lately and having a blast.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #52
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Adem, you say that a simulation of the NFL like NBA 2k11 is to the NBA would not be fun, but I disagree. APF 2k8 is the most realistic football game released and is a great representation of the sport and it is fun. If Madden was as realistic as APF 2k8 I d think it would be the most popular Madden released.

Everyone says sim does not sell, but I think its the opposite. Those casual fans don't care if the game is more sim or more arcade like, they'll buy it regardless. But fans like us do care and will only buy the game if its realistic enough for us to enjoy it. Thats the take NBA 2k took and it paid off.
I agree with paragraph 2, not paragraph 1.

APF might have been sim on the field, but there are a lot of people complaining that both games lack in depth franchise.

You need to make the game have a deep immersion value as well as sim or it will become boring to a lot of people, including me.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by War24
I really think Madden suffered this year from NCAA 11. Out of the box NCAA 11 was awesome and people expected Madden 11 to do the same. This year there is something about NCAA that is just more fun period. Is Madden terrible not at all, but the fun factor is trumped by NCAA. If they made them the same exact game and just added NFL players most people I think would be satisfied. When they took away the ability to change teams throughout the franchise mode it made the game feel repetitive. Madden is good, just not good enough to compete with NCAA and the ability to change teams when you go through years of dynasty.

One thing that is for sure is although I feel Madden 2011 is the best on the new gen systems and gameplay wise may be the best ever (in the Madden series), NCAA 2011 is hands down my favorite playing football title ever and that includes NFL2K5. It just feels fantastic and they really improved the presentation big time. The offline dynasty mode is addicting and online dynasty is fantastic as well.

EA nailed it with that title.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
All I will say is debatable, subjective and in fairness to the OP, not related to the thread at all.
It is related to thread. The OP is basically asking why the community is so down on Madden, and wants to know why the community doesn't look on the bright side, so to speak, and mention some of the positive things in Madden 11.

While there are some positives, the negatives out weigh the positives. One negative thing is the lack, or total absence in my opinion, of any innovation.

Since you think that there has been some innovation in the Madden series, this generation, would you mind telling me what innovation that you've seen in Madden ?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
It is related to thread. The OP is basically asking why the community is so down on Madden, and wants to know why the community doesn't look on the bright side, so to speak, and mention some of the positive things in Madden 11.

While there are some positives, the negatives out weigh the positives. One negative thing is the lack, or total absence in my opinion, of any innovation.

Since you think that there has been some innovation in the Madden series, this generation, would you mind telling me what innovation that you've seen in Madden ?

He going to say run blocking(it should been done years ago its a football game.)gameplanning(Which is a great ideal but like all things they half *** job it.like they do with new things.)Locmotion(which was in the PS2 game but now in this game.)

Heres the only 2 innovations to me this generation of Madden games did.

1)vision cone(they could have imporved this.instead of the close your eyes and pass the ball we got now.)

2)weapons/player roles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #56
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic

I see things differently than you do with regards to the OP. I don't see the OP asking a question in there.

I want to hear some people talk about what they like why they play what is good about the game. If you don't like the game sell it and talk about the many issues it has in the glitch thread etc. It's boring to come on here anymore people to much complaining instead talk about what you like or other things besides the same old complaing.

If the negatives outweigh the positives for you, that's great, but it's different for everyone. Some people might feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Me, I'm in the middle, really.

As AJ said earlier, so what about innovations. If I'm going to categorize innovations, I don't care if they should have been done 20 yrs ago, 10 yrs ago, etc.... or done by another game before. I've only played the other game briefly, so, I'm just sticking with innovations from Madden on this generation. I didn't appreciate 06-09, so, you won't be seeing weapon system, Tony Bruno, etc....Some people though feel Tony Bruno and newsclippings would be innovations.

From the last few years;

1. Procedural Awareness-
2. Pro-Tak- (better in NCAA than Madden, again, don't care that it was in a game before, only dealing with comparing with Madden, as we are only discussing Madden in the thread)
3. Game speed reduced and also an option.
4. New QB ratings. Favre plays like Favre, Cutler plays like Cutler.
5. New QB dropbacks- 3, 5, 7 step drop backs.
6. New Halftime Show. (needs work)
7. New Post game show.(needs work)
8. Gus Johnson better than Tom Hammond. Still needs work.
9. Depth of field.
10. New and improved run blocking.
11. Game planning (needs to work on the defensive side)
12. New pre-play controls using dpad.
13. Teams play as in real life.

There, lofeasy should be happy.

No need to debate this, though. It's very subjective, as in, to each their own.

Last edited by roadman; 10-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »