Home

Make Madden more arcade?

This is a discussion on Make Madden more arcade? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #57
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Make Madden more arcade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Perhaps EA could make a game with separate settings, similar to NBA 2K11.

Casual, Sim and Arcade.

Casual would be similar to the game we're seeing today.

Sim- Would be a little more realistic for the hardcore fan. Some examples would be a CPU QB like Peyton Manning would actually use all of the play clock, realistic penalties (especially penalties like pass interference and late hits) that would be called at a realistic rate, etc.

Arcade- Bigger hits, outlandish celebrations, wide-open play, late hits are fair game, etc.

Now, I don't know if EA could actually implement Sim and Arcade in the game correctly. However, if they could switching between the two would certainly be welcomed change of pace in my honest opinion.

That is all slider adjustments. All of NBA 2K11 settings (Casual/Sim/Default) is the slider settings. I am using a great slider set for Madden which is making the game a good challenge, and the gameplanning for the CPU is so very key. It really makes a huge difference.

What needs to be worked on on that regard is the AI.

Your talking AI programming when it comes to players tendencies and play style. I am all for that. I think something that Madden could really work on is the players truly playing more like their real life counterpart, something that The Show and NBA2K are doing an amazing job of.

But as I said I am cool with the gameplay it's the other stuff (to keep the game interesting for a long time) that needs the TLC.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 10-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #58
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

See gameplanning was to make the game "more sim." I don't want to have to tell the computer how to play...that's the dev's job. The fact that they only have a few D playbooks, limits this for me. The fact gameplanning was broken...

I'm saying give up on sim, EA can't do it, and the GP feature is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #59
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I love me the deep ball.

Also. Sim is overated. Fifa 11, the fastest selling sports game in history is being complained about for being to pragmatic and true to life. People just wanted more tricks and more goals from everywhere!

And people just want touchdowns, long catches, helmet-to-helmet concussion hits, sack-strip-scoop-score, pick 6. Coz in the end. I just want to get into the endzone bro.
... so basically you want to play at the rookie difficulty? What I read out of many of the posts here is that people want the game to play like on the rookie difficulty level all the time. Deep balls, big hits and plenty of touchdowns - rookie level guarantees you the ball in the end zone at every possession. No concentration need, no challenge provided.

In FIFA you can score hundreds of goals and have never ending win streaks if you just play on a low enough difficulty level. If you want tough realism, you can also make it almost impossible to beat the CPU - not because the CPU's players have magical powers like in Madden, but because the CPU AI will simply outplay you.

Yes, some people (I, personally, don't know any) have complained that FIFA 11 is too realistic, but I compare it to people complaining about a room being too dark instead of getting up and turning on the lights.

Everybody I've talked to all love FIFA because it appeals to them, regardless of what type of user they were. That is why FIFA is that fastest selling sports game in history. Because it appeals to all types of users - sim and arcade gamers alike.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #60
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
No concentration need, no challenge provided.
But if you want concentration or a challenge, go play chess or checkers!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #61
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
See gameplanning was to make the game "more sim." I don't want to have to tell the computer how to play...that's the dev's job. The fact that they only have a few D playbooks, limits this for me. The fact gameplanning was broken...

I'm saying give up on sim, EA can't do it, and the GP feature is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about.
Well again that is the beauty of this game for me fun gameplay with sim elements (Super Bowl Tecmo Bowl anyone?) to keep me playing (franchise mode, good realisitc stats). So I don't want them to stop doing what they are doing....keep being Madden.

It's Madden, this is how this game has always played (for the most part). Nothing wrong with it if you take it for what it is.

I think they got the right formula as evidenced by their massive fan base and continued success. I truly believe even if 2K was still making football games Madden would still sell really well (and I would own both as I did back in the PS2/XBOX days). Madden appeals to many levels of sports gamers. Casuals, and Sim players. I think a lot of the constant complaints are really overblown. Just my opinion. It's a video game. I don't get that worked up over this stuff. If it's fun and I like it great. If it stinks, I don't buy it or I return it immediatly and get something else.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #62
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I'm usually a sim player, and this is not a joke...but Madden has lost that "fun" factor for me.

Since Madden is in an identity crisis, and trying to be all things to all people, they should just make it arcade. 11 on 11, full rosters, all of that...good presentation , stat overlays...but let's just switch the focus of the game...

I for one, think it would be a TON more fun, if they went this direction. Fast paced action, big hits on D. I mean ratings would still matter, etc...but instead of taking an arcade-ish original build and making it sim, wouldn't it be more fun if it were more true to its original design?
Well, for me, the game is SO far from sim in too many elements to make me think this idea would represent that much of a departure. If that's the route folks think that they should take, so be it. I just think that the game could be great if they stopped focusing on what the casual audience MIGHT want and just fix the areas that depart from real football. I'm talking about real blocking schemes and mechanics. Real zones. Making proper technique matter in the ways that it should without speed manipulation. Redo the play system instead of BS coaches' pick as a feature. I want to play a realistic sim football game, so I'm out of luck at the moment. But if they went this direction, I'd really be screwed. But I guess it wouldn't change the fact that I have no football right now.

And I don't agree that GP was to be more sim. If it were, you would have actually had to see REAL game planning and there wasn't any. There was no interface to highlight and accentuate match ups. There was no pattern analysis to make the game about measures and counter-measures. No real scouting impact. The interface was poor. At the end of the day, it was still just a nice marketing wrapper built around coaches' pick. It just made the CASUAL user feel more like he was being a real coach because he was "game planning". I've seen real game planning and this game fell FAR short of that aspect of the game.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 10-27-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #63
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Right Boiler...exactly my point. When they do try to implement these things that are ostensibly more sim, they never work out. I think it WAS to be more sim, but they didn't make it deep enough. They NEVER do...that's why I'm saying abandon it. They're not committed enough to it to make it matter, it just pisses people off.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Right Boiler...exactly my point. When they do try to implement these things that are ostensibly more sim, they never work out. I think it WAS to be more sim, but they didn't make it deep enough. They NEVER do...that's why I'm saying abandon it. They're not committed enough to it to make it matter, it just pisses people off.
Madden 12 could be an explosion of rage if this trend continues. If the new franchise mode isn't the e_pic resurgence of offline play everyone wants, it's going to be an e-poopstorm like we've never seen.

Granted I don't think EA can live up to the expectations anyway because the wait for it has pushed what we expect through the roof.

I think they are in a lose/lose situation with sim football, but it's their own fault they are in this position so I don't feel bad for them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »