Home

Make Madden more arcade?

This is a discussion on Make Madden more arcade? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #65
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Make Madden more arcade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Screw a chess match if you want a chess match--- play chess (or checkers). I want long passes, big hit's and better end-zone dances. That's all I care about.
Looking at your avatar, I pegged you more as a Backyard Football gamer.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #66
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Madden on the field is more arcade now than it was for Madden 05. There is no individual coverage assignments, no wr shading, no tiered play calling (2k5), rbs routinely break 4-5 tackles on a play and locomotion easily gets players past defenders.

The only place arcade elements could improve this game is in the minigame modes. Rushing Attack, Chase and Tackle, DB swat could be brought back like they used to be with music and earning Madden cards again. Other than these areas, I don't see where Madden 11 doesn't already feature arcade over sim.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #67
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Right Boiler...exactly my point. When they do try to implement these things that are ostensibly more sim, they never work out. I think it WAS to be more sim, but they didn't make it deep enough. They NEVER do...that's why I'm saying abandon it. They're not committed enough to it to make it matter, it just pisses people off.
It has to have some amount of depth in terms of strategy, because that's the game of football. If they abandon that to any degree their house will fall.

Going back to what I said earlier in this thread, about depth/variety and authenticity... These two things need to be their quality control check. When implementing a feature or re-examining what is already there, they need to ask themselves: does it have depth and variety? and, is it authentic? If the answer is no to either of those it shouldn't be in the game, because it's going to stick out like a sore thumb and drag the whole experience down.

And this is where your gripe seems to stem from, and I think it's true: the game just seems half-assed in many areas, and not a fleshed out NFL Football Videogame Experience...

But they can't change direction... That would be downright foolish for them, and would pretty much guarantee the game to feel half-assed.

This is what, year 2 with the "new" Madden development team? If so, I think next year will be the true measure.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #68
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Uhh this would completely kill football gaming for me. Since madden is the only one allowed to make an NFL game I want them to make a non arcade one. I hope the ea devs don't see this thread an start to make changes based on this.....
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #69
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

NHL Hitz Pro did this perfectly. It's a GREAT idea. I wish you were a decision maker at EA.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #70
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Looking at your avatar, I pegged you more as a Backyard Football gamer.

Well played sir, well played.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #71
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Provocative topic, OP...

I like the idea of having sim / casual / arcade settings, (posted earlier in this thread) b/c...well, I want this (and every sports game) to be as sim as possible in EVERY aspect...

If Madden (or NCAA) went straight up arcade, I'd stop playing it altogether...

I'd like to see the football titles rival The Show (and apparently this year's NBA2k) than get further away from that...

The more complicated and realistic, the better...IMHO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #72
Pro

OVR: 9

No I don't think making madden more arcade is the answer at all. Do we really think dumbing the game down is going to add more excitement? Not in my eyes.

Many of us yearn for an in-depth strategic football experience expressed through proper physics and locomotion. We want player weight to matter, playcalling, ball physics, weather, elite players to shine etc..etc..etc...I could go on for hours trying to explain what us 'Sim' gamers would like to see added to make our experience much more gratifying.

Games like NBA2K11, MLB10, FIFA11 and NHL11 have set the standard for sports titles in this current generation. Like or not the team over at EA is going to have to higher more talent to keep pace or find a way with their current staff to turn this series around if they want to remain relevant. The days of sticking their heads in the sand hoping everyone else falls flat are over.

Right now the only thing that can save this series is innovation not an arcade mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »