Home

Instead of potential, how bout...

This is a discussion on Instead of potential, how bout... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Instead of potential, how bout...

Expectations. It pisses me off how i signed a 39 overall rookie with F potential and in 2 games, he has 4interceptions 13tackles 1td, BUT he cant ever go up. With Expectations, everything could be different. Say my 39overall safety is expected to end the season with 40tackles and 0 intos. If i get 52 tackles for 3intos maybe he goes up to a 52overall. Now my 22yr old 52overall is expected 52 tackles with 2 intos. If i get 51 tackles and 6intos maybe he goes up to a 66overall. Now as a 23yr old 66 overall safety he is expected 60tackles and 4 intos. If he has a stunner 79tackle 8into year, now has between 80-85 overall going into his 4th year. I mean this could really work. Like how bout 55 and under overall's can only progress the most by 20pts if and only if he like triples the expected. And so forth, 70-75 -15, 75-80 - 10, 81 - 9 82 - 8 83 - 7 84 - 6 85+ - 5. That would be beautiful. Because look at the roster updates. They add points to guys because theyre expectations get raised. What do u think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60
Re: Instead of potential, how bout...

Yea, they need to do something with the potential rating. I mean technically everyone drafted in the first few rounds has high potential. And even players with low potential become stars (Brian Westbrook, Trent Cole)

Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
Yea, they need to do something with the potential rating. I mean technically everyone drafted in the first few rounds has high potential. And even players with low potential become stars (Brian Westbrook, Trent Cole)
The real problem is the actual potential rating is visible to the user. From a coding perspective and as a way to balance draft classes it should exist but what the user sees should as the very least be inaccurate. Call it whatever you want after that but right now if I have a guy with A potential he will be a top of the league player almost no matter what. The NFL is not like that. Not even a tiny bit.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

Yep. I agree. The potential rating should be completely hidden from the end users to start. Or maybe it's something that you can eventually get a rough idea about from scouting... but it shouldn't be 100% accurate all the time. The later rounds in the drafts now are kind of pointless. If you took notes on who had the highest potential rating during the scouting process, then it's just a matter of plucking whatever "A" pots are still on the board.

You really shouldn't have much idea on the true NFL potential of your players until they actually get some NFL experience. If we ever get to see the true potential rating, it shouldn't be until towards the end of their first season in the league.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

I just wish it was hidden. It ruins online league since guys will never make a bad trade or never draft wrong because they know they got a player with A or B potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

If he's making the plays does it really matter what rating he is?

Not wanting to sound like i'm having a go, as i'm not, but I have had players rated only on the 60's with C or D potential who have consistently put up decent stats so been happy with them there
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Banned

The reason potential blows is because Kurt Warner - Undrafted Hall of Famer to be, Night Train Lane - Undrafted Hall of Famer, and so forth. I mean modern days, Ahmad Bradshaw was a 7th round draft pick and now is a starter and top 5 in league right now
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

I agree that expectations should be the way to view potential. I'd like an option where you get an assessment from your coaching staff based on their expectations instead of a visible rating. By expectations I mean that a lot is expected from a 1st round pick and less from 2nd, 3rd and so on.

Say, you'll get told by the coaching staff (under player info/bio) that your 3rd round draft pick shows more potential than a typical 3rd round pick, but he needs more time on the field to make a better evaluation (which might not come the first season unless he plays enough).

And allow your coaching staff to re-adjust their assessment after every 4 games in the season (including pre-season). Some players might be spot on from the start, while others are found to be a failure or a success compared to the round they were drafted in. Also allow them to be wrong from time to time. Say, they don't believe your undrafted free agent has a lot of upside, but after a couple of good games they suddenly change their mind.

Nobody ever accuses a 7th round pick of being a bust, because teams expect less from him, but if he preforms better than expected he should get some credit from the coaching staff. However, the uncertainty should still be there. Just because your 7th round pick is doing greater than expected from a 7th round pick, that doesn't mean that he will become elite. After a few seasons of preforming above his draft pick your coaching staff might tell you, that they believe he is at the top of his game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »