Home

The A,B,C,s of Potential

This is a discussion on The A,B,C,s of Potential within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7
The A,B,C,s of Potential

I have an A rated HB who after five years is topped out at 85 OVR. I have A-rated players who never get an increase in AWR--even some from the original roster like Percy Harvin. The same holds true for drafted players, not always, but it occurs.

So my question is how does Potential affect the player? Is it like A would be best but doesn't guarantee better than B Potential? In other words, a B rated player could progress better than an A rated player?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: The A,B,C,s of Potential

A POT players COULD reach 95-99. They still have to perform decently to get the +5 or +6 OVR after the season.

B POT can do HOF-style things, and never go past an 89.

C POT and lower are average at best.

In short, your B POT could progress faster, but ultimately has a lower ceiling of OVR.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
JVM
Banned

My A-rated HB who has broken all rushing records has never gone higher than 92 OVR and he is now 32 years old.

I have another A-rated HB who has topped at 80 OVR. That is not a typo, he is topped at 80 after 5 years and is 26 years old. I just don't understand how any A-rated player tops at 80.

In case you're wondering, I play on All Pro.

"In short, your B POT could progress faster, but ultimately has a lower ceiling of OVR."

That has not been true in my offline franchise.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 36

I've had A OVR players never hit 80.

Your backup shouldn't progress as much as your starter.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I've had A OVR players never hit 80.

Your backup shouldn't progress as much as your starter.
True, but my A-rated HB who topped at 92 did so while he was a backup to Adrian Peterson. However, he never progressed higher than 92 when starting and breaking all rushing records.

Anyway, good to hear you had an A-rated player never hit 80, just makes me feel better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Pro

nwfdwill's Arena

OVR: 10

Tis why I hate the "Potential" system.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Rookie

I've been cheating by using the scouting function to assess the top potential players in a draft.

At the end of the first season, after a 5 - 11, I drafted the third top player in terms of potential, a CB for my first pick. Put him on a 7 year contract, thought I would definitely have a future star to place Trufant when he retires.

... imagine my surprise when I found he was rated at 54 ovr. Now, starting his 3rd season, he's at 68 ovr, barely my 5th best CB and his speed is the worst of any of my DBs.

Yet there he is with his A-star and his infinite potential... Go figure.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
I've been cheating by using the scouting function to assess the top potential players in a draft.

At the end of the first season, after a 5 - 11, I drafted the third top player in terms of potential, a CB for my first pick. Put him on a 7 year contract, thought I would definitely have a future star to place Trufant when he retires.

... imagine my surprise when I found he was rated at 54 ovr. Now, starting his 3rd season, he's at 68 ovr, barely my 5th best CB and his speed is the worst of any of my DBs.

Yet there he is with his A-star and his infinite potential... Go figure.

Oh well looks like he didn't reach his potential.. There are a lot players in the NFL who don't reach there potential...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »