Home

Pass Defense Animations

This is a discussion on Pass Defense Animations within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Pass Defense Animations

Is it just me or are the animations given to CBs and Safties utterly useless? I can't count how many times I've had a CB running step for step under a crossing WR. As the pass comes in, the CB slows down and makes the chin up catch animation in an attempt to catch the ball. Meanwhile, the WR continues to run, the pass sails over the CBs head, the WR catches the ball in stride and has nothing but grass ahead of him.

Or maybe we can talk about the deep ball throw where my CB or safety is in good position on a streak. The ball comes in either high, short, or both. The WR turns around and adjusts to the ball. The defender goes in to a slide catch animation, falling backwards away from the WR - you know, just in case the WR disappears and the pass makes it all the way to the ground.

It's really pathetic. There's basically absolutely no incentive for trying to control a defensive player in coverage. The seemingly random animations make it nearly impossible to do anything. So instead I'm up on the line, slamming away at buttons that used to be swim moves and the like, but now don't do anything. So frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Pass Defense Animations

Playing as a DB is kinda weird.
You have to strafe at the last second when your playing as a DB, and then press catch so you don't get that stupid chin up catch animation.

And when you want to squat, you should do that without strafing or else you'll get a stupid jump up a squat animation.

But once you master that, you'll be a interception machine.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

After the frustration of trying to get my DB's in position to make a play on the ball, I've come to realize that at the exact second the ball leaves the QB's hand, the CPU predetermines if the pass is going to be caught, swatted, picked, dropped or thrown 20 yards in the air out of bounds.

I've had WR double and triple covered in a crowd and still catch the ball. I've had WR wide open by 10 yards, running down the sideline and the ball threw 20 yards in the air out of bounds. I've seen line backers with 68-Speed and 64-ManCov warp to a spot just in time to swat the ball away from a wide open receiver. I've seen the ball thrown directly to a linebacker playing zone with no receiver in sight, swat the ball down instead of going for the pick. I've had 3 consecutive plays where the ball was thrown up for grabs and dropped by DB's in position. I've seen wide open receivers with 88 catch rating standing still in the end zone drop passes.

There is no rhyme or reason why passes are completed or not. The CPU rolls the dice at the release of the ball and the outcome is determined based on the ratings.

It's obvious that the game is made for the arcade type of player, so don't feel bad if you called a perfect defense on 4th and 15~20 and the person throws it up for grabs while getting sacked and the WR immediately cuts of his route, runs back and makes a perfect catch with 2 linebackers draped all over him for a first down. How else will EA get little Johnny to ask his mom to buy him Madden next year. "Make everyone feel like they can win, no matter the skill and we sell more copies."
Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth
After the frustration of trying to get my DB's in position to make a play on the ball, I've come to realize that at the exact second the ball leaves the QB's hand, the CPU predetermines if the pass is going to be caught, swatted, picked, dropped or thrown 20 yards in the air out of bounds.

I've had WR double and triple covered in a crowd and still catch the ball. I've had WR wide open by 10 yards, running down the sideline and the ball threw 20 yards in the air out of bounds. I've seen line backers with 68-Speed and 64-ManCov warp to a spot just in time to swat the ball away from a wide open receiver. I've seen the ball thrown directly to a linebacker playing zone with no receiver in sight, swat the ball down instead of going for the pick. I've had 3 consecutive plays where the ball was thrown up for grabs and dropped by DB's in position. I've seen wide open receivers with 88 catch rating standing still in the end zone drop passes.

There is no rhyme or reason why passes are completed or not. The CPU rolls the dice at the release of the ball and the outcome is determined based on the ratings.

It's obvious that the game is made for the arcade type of player, so don't feel bad if you called a perfect defense on 4th and 15~20 and the person throws it up for grabs while getting sacked and the WR immediately cuts of his route, runs back and makes a perfect catch with 2 linebackers draped all over him for a first down. How else will EA get little Johnny to ask his mom to buy him Madden next year. "Make everyone feel like they can win, no matter the skill and we sell more copies."
I agree plays are pre-determined based on what you do. However, I don't think ratings are always the pre-determining factor. I do think the CPU pre-determines by what is supposed to happen regardless of player ratings.

I have a CB with catch rating in the 80's who more often than not simply drops the ball or lets it go through his hands, rarely catching it.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
I agree plays are pre-determined based on what you do. However, I don't think ratings are always the pre-determining factor. I do think the CPU pre-determines by what is supposed to happen regardless of player ratings.
Surely you meant, what is GOING to happen regardless of of actual reality.

I've seen LBs accelerate in mid-air to tackle my running back. I've also seen LBs pull a Tron-like move and move 90 degrees without trying to tackle my RB. And tonight I saw my WR run a slant route, beating his DB by a couple of yards, suddenly slow down to let the DB run past him to make the interception. Sorry Tiburon, NFL WRs don't stop in the middle of the field for no apparent reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
Surely you meant, what is GOING to happen regardless of of actual reality.

I've seen LBs accelerate in mid-air to tackle my running back. I've also seen LBs pull a Tron-like move and move 90 degrees without trying to tackle my RB. And tonight I saw my WR run a slant route, beating his DB by a couple of yards, suddenly slow down to let the DB run past him to make the interception. Sorry Tiburon, NFL WRs don't stop in the middle of the field for no apparent reason.
I've seen some pretty unrealistic things as well. Two that happen practically every game are CPU's Center coming out about five yards to block my MLB so the HB gains some yardage--my MLB stands there waiting for him; the other one is my DB suddenly runs away from the WR as the ball comes, and, of course, the WR catches it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
I have a CB with catch rating in the 80's who more often than not simply drops the ball or lets it go through his hands, rarely catching it.

CB, Safties and LB's Catch In Traffic ratings are way to low for this game (online).

FYI. There were 32 picks thrown this weekend with 4 teams on a bye week.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1

What usually works for me is on deep routes, let the cpu control the DB until the ball is almost there, then I switch onto the DB and immediately hit the swat button. If your player is in good position, he"ll make a sweet pick. I get alot of knockdowns with this technique. If the receiver finds an open spot against a zone D, then I take control of the defender, run to the spot while pressing the swat a few yards before I get there. Trust me, this works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »