Home

Panthers Defense UNDERRATED

This is a discussion on Panthers Defense UNDERRATED within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Panthers Defense UNDERRATED

Hard to believe that the Panthers Defense is rated a "82"...
That is a tie for 8th in the league with 10 other teams...

The Panthers D last year was - #2 Overall YPG, #4 Passing Yds, #1 Rushing Yds

They lost NO ONE in the offseason and are very young... They even gained Ricky Manning Jr. (CB, Rookie, UCLA)...

I am baffled by the rating for the team... I can understand not being "#2" on defense in Madden if some other teams made improvements but to be tied with 10 teams for 8th is ridiculous!!!

Sorry but I had to rant... And yes I know I can improve the teams ratings by upping the players...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Panthers Defense UNDERRATED

Dallas had the #2(i think it was #2, could be mistaken, but it was very high) defense in the league two years ago and they won 5 games. They had the #2 defense because their offense would turn the ball over so much and leave the opposing team with a short field to score on. The defense gets rated so high because they only give up 30 yards so it keeps their yards per game given up really low, thus the #2 rating. I know the Panthers had a horrendous offense last year, so I'm guessing they turned it over a lot and this "helped" their defense by giving the other team short fields to work with.

Having said all that, the Panthers do have a very good defense(better than Dallas's two years ago at least), but being 8th overall isn't bad. I would have expected a little higher, maybe 5th at best, but being 8th overall is decent. I think it's crazy when I read that they have people on the Madden staff who's only job is to do the ratings, they work year round with scouts and look at numbers to come up with these ratings, they are as accurate as you are going to find, though they do make the occasional mistake, that's why they are editable.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

they were also ranked very high in takeaways, scoring allowed, and sacks, so your theory about the opposing team having good field position holds no water. They actually had bad position, as the Special Teams were also among the best in the league, including #1 at kickoff coverage and a pro-bowl punter.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:59 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 17

Nooooo, Panthers offense was bad, but they didnt turn it over alot. They played ball control offense, so they were mostly running, but they didnt turn it over. Instead they had a low time of pocession, which kept the defensive unit on the field alot. Despite this, the defense was still amazing last year. Also the punter Todd Saurbrun helped us field position wise by booming em almost every time.

The Panthers have a top 2 defensive front, along with Tampa. No way should they be tied for 8th with 10 other teams. I dont see 10 teams in the league with a defense as good as Carolinas...........another sign of no respect at all. I wonder if anyone knows who the teams are that are tied with or are ahead of Carolina in defense??
Old 08-10-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

Quote:

Reznor said:
they were also ranked very high in takeaways, scoring allowed, and sacks, so your theory about the opposing team having good field position holds no water. They actually had bad position, as the Special Teams were also among the best in the league, including #1 at kickoff coverage and a pro-bowl punter.

Well they were top 5 in the league in giveaways, but I didn't really look into their stats. But it sounds like they were actually more legit than I thought. I don't know how many points they gave up a game, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't #2, maybe that is somewhere closer the the #8 overall they got in the game? Not really sure, but maybe they just put more emphasis into the scoring than the yardage?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Scoring defense was 5th in the league, averaging 18.9 points a game, which is even more remarkable since you pointed out the fact that the offense gave away the ball so much.

Also, ranked #2 in total defensive yardage...and out of the top 15 teams in that category, they were on the field for more plays than any other team due to the poor offense. So actually, they played even better than the stats would indicate.

All of this from the nfl.com sortable stats section.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:28 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Here are the ratings of the top 18 teams sorted by Defensive Rating... Now Tampa and Miami I can understand... But no more than 1-2 teams should be between those two and Carolina...

Team--------------------------O---D---OV
Tampa Bay Buccaneers---84--91--88
Miami Dolphins-------------85--91--88
New England Patriots----84--87--86
Philadelphia Eagles--------87--86--87
San Francisco 49ers-------88--85--86
Dallas Cowboys------------78--85--81
Pittsburgh Steelers-------85--85--86
Chicago Bears-------------81--84--82
Buffalo Bills----------------86--84--85
San Diego Chargers-----83--84--83
New York Giants---------85--84--85
Green Bay Packers------89--84--87
Carolina Panthers-------80--84--82
Oakland Raiders---------90--84--87
Baltimore Ravens--------80--84--82
Washington Redskins---81--84--82
Seattle Seahawks-------85--84--84

Here are Carolina's Stat Rankings and who was above them last year...

D-PPG - 18.9 (#5) behind TB (12.2), Phi, NYG, Mia

Total Defense - 290.4 YPG (1022 Plays) #2 Behind TB (252.8 YPG - 963 Plays) - Carolina faced more plays than 18 other teams...

Passing YPG - 187.1 YPG #4 Behind TB (155.6), IND (182.3), GB (186.7)

Rushing YPG - 103.3 YPG #8 Behind PIT (85.9), TEN, OAK, DEN, MIA (97.1), TB (97.1), and SF

Rushing Per Attempt - 3.7 y/a (#1) - tied with BAL - #3 OAK and #4 TB both 3.8

Total Sacks - 52 #2 Behind PHI (56)... TB and MIA had 43 and 47 respectively
Old 08-10-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

Wow, the Panthers d is a lot better than I thought. But dealing with the game, the overall defense rating is based on individual players, maybe EA doesn't have as many guys rated 85+ on the Panthers as they do on those other teams. It does sound like they got a bad deal, but they have a lack of star power compared to the teams above them which would lead to their lower overall rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »