Home

Pros and Cons of the "No Switch Rule" both on and offline.

This is a discussion on Pros and Cons of the "No Switch Rule" both on and offline. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Pros and Cons of the "No Switch Rule" both on and offline.

So I have seen some online sim leagues that have a no switch rule on defense. I would like to know why you feel it is really good for the game as opposed to being able to switch to any defender you want when ever you want.

I also would love to hear from offline franchise players who do use the "no switch rule" in their games and has it really enhanced your offline franchise.

I fall into the category of someone always willing to try something new. I happen to be pretty skilled at switching to the DB and getting that pick sometimes or swating the ball down. I don't trust the AI to do it for me. I also do not like to play as a safety or DB from the snap I am a MLB type of player and I also play as a DE or DT to,o depending on down and distance.

So I would love to hear from all sides on this as I may try it out offline, and may bring it up in my online franchise if I can get good mitigating reasons to do so.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Pros and Cons of the "No Switch Rule" both on and offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
So I have seen some online sim leagues that have a no switch rule on defense. I would like to know why you feel it is really good for the game as opposed to being able to switch to any defender you want when ever you want.

I also would love to hear from offline franchise players who do use the "no switch rule" in their games and has it really enhanced your offline franchise.

I fall into the category of someone always willing to try something new. I happen to be pretty skilled at switching to the DB and getting that pick sometimes or swating the ball down. I don't trust the AI to do it for me. I also do not like to play as a safety or DB from the snap I am a MLB type of player and I also play as a DE or DT to,o depending on down and distance.

So I would love to hear from all sides on this as I may try it out offline, and may bring it up in my online franchise if I can get good mitigating reasons to do so.
I only play against the CPU, but I do it because otherwise, at least for me, it would be unrealistically easy to swat the ball, get the pick, make the tackle, etc. and produce unrealistic results and beat the crap out of the CPU. The "no switch" rule makes the game more challenging, more balanced, more exciting. The chance to make a big play is harder and thus for me more rewarding, and it's fun for me to face the risk of getting pancaked or miss a tackle and hope your teammates can do it. And at least for me, produces more realistic results.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 5

If I'm switching defenders, teh CPU stands no chance.

Their ground game will never get the edge outside and draws will always get stuffed.

I'll intercept 3+ passes a game and force a 40% completion percentage or lower, it's too easy to make a play on the ball vs the CPU.

Played a game a couple days ago, CPU Vince Young threw one down the sideline to Kenny Britt who had a half step on the CB. My Safety was coming across to try and make the play and was real close to doing so.

All 3 players took to the air. My Safety missing the swat by inches and tumbled into the way of the CB trying to make a play, pushing his animation toward the sideline. Britt made the impressive catch and walked 5 yards into the endzone.

If I took over the Safety? More than likely a pick with 20+ return yards. The CPU controlled safety tried to ball swat and failed. Had I used the catch animation, I would have made a play, or at least broke up the pass.

User control basically makes that player have a rating of 150, doesn't matter how skilled the players ratings are, under user control they are basically like being 150 Overall. So if you are constantly switching, it's like your entire defence is rated 150 Overall.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 34

I agree with it. Switching for user INTs is way too easy.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

I have always done this in Madden, since probably '08 or '09.

I never realized so many others did it too.

I use PlayMakers custom sliders for my OffLine Franchise, and always use the "No Switch Rule."

Usually as the Pats for example, I'll control Vince Wilfork. Or I'll control a CB or something to cover a certain receiver I think will be targeted. But whomever I choose, I stick with that guy even if the "action" of the play is not near the guy I'm controlling. I feel it adds more realism.

It also is more rewarding and exciting when I realize I am covering the targeted Receiver or HB. And makes it more rewarding when I stop the play short.

14MinQ's + 20MinAccel clock + PlayMakers Sliders + No Switch Rule =

Most realistic stats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Sounds pretty boring... maybe because I start plays as a d-lineman. I can't imagine sitting out the action. Defense in Madden is too uninvolved as it is.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

i tried no switch but is boring that is why i have adjusted my sliders so the player actually has a challenge. the user sliders really dont need increased from zero other than qb acc and a few notches here or there b/c the player gains such a huge advantage. i have ints set at zero and i get realistic number of picks. too many slider sets have user in the 30-50 range. start at zero for user and adjust the cpu sliders.this makes the teams play better b/c their skill is higher. check my sliders and you will see what i am talking about.i didnt buy this game to watch the cpu control my players. i have been playing madden since early 90s, so i am not new to this, just this site. i am looking for realistic and competitive games
Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I agree with Bezo. I love playing defense and my biggest gripe about Madden on these systems is the lack of adjustments/inolvement on that side of the ball.

How does this work in online leagues? Are offensive users still allowed to take control of the wr and maually catch or do they have to let the cpu do it as well?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »