Home

Official I have the game, here are my impressions thread

This is a discussion on Official I have the game, here are my impressions thread within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2003, 10:27 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Official I have the game, here are my impressions thread

What will be the over/under on the number of posts it will take to actually yield an official "I have the game, here are my impressions"

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #26
All Star

OVR: 17

Quote:

Jackrabbit said:

What will be the over/under on the number of posts it will take to actually yield an official "I have the game, here are my impressions"

Had you not asked the question 35

Since you asked the question 56
Old 08-11-2003, 10:55 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

GeePee20 said:
It's gonna be worse tomorrow with all the people asking questions like what color shoe laces the Bears have.

Oh I hope they are Orange this year!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #28
Rookie

Quote:

TombSong said:
Oh another thing I am glad they did is the practice mode is like the NCAA practice mode where you can have the cpu choose random plays.

TombSong-
How does the gameplay "feel" to you compared to NCAA 2004?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:

Forget about which game is better for a moment between Sega and EA. The difference between these 2 companies for me as I see it is this. EA is trying to sell you a football game. Sega is trying to make you apart of one.

Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard
Old 08-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #30
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

TombSong said:
I got a chance to play Madden 2004 yesterday. My initial impressions are overall gameplay wise the game is pretty much Madden 2003 with the ability to sub without going to the sub screen. Playmaker with practice may benefit some but for me at the moment its more a distraction than a tool to use.

The things I like so far is it seems the defensive line pass rush seems quicker and they pursue the QB alot better. It seems I had noticebly less time to throw the ball even when there was no blitz coming. So you really gonna have to make quick reads this year I think. The defense in general seems alot better. Also I notice LB with flat responsibilities seem to follow the WR on their side of the field deeper down field and really get up on him. When playing man, they really get out there on HB sprinting out to the flats also. If you play with the Saints they changed their playbook. They have some nice plays in it. Also on Defense when calling a play, you can choose how you want the LBs lined up.

To make a long post short. If you like Madden last year you will like Madden this year. I boldy state that I think this game was improved more for the franchise types. They are gonna have alot of nice toys to play with in the owners mode. For guys who have played Madden since 91, you will play the game, you will like the game, but I think a month later you will be looking for something else to play. This is not a knock on the game per se. Its a good game. I think I am just burnt out on this game. It seems EA has been good about adding features to the game to appease most of the public but nothing that makes you go WOW. Nothing that impacts the gameplay(on the field) that makes the game seem new. They are stuck in a hard place. They have to cater to the hardcore fans that make up a large part of their sells, which means they may fear making drastic changes to gameplay. Drastic changes I feel are not needed because the game is good as it is but they need to do SOMETHING to the gameplay that makes the guys who have been around since 91 excited about the game again.

Forget about which game is better for a moment between Sega and EA. The difference between these 2 companies for me as I see it is this. EA is trying to sell you a football game. Sega is trying to make you apart of one.

Say TombSong, I am a huge Saints fan so what plays were you referring to when you said the Saints have some nice plays. Oh yeah, i agree with you when you said how Madden is trying to sell you a game and VC is trying to make you a part of one. Great post!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:36 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:

yoyo said:
Quote:

Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard

Thank you, yoyo, for the super insightful comment. Way to get off to a flying start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 21

Vic20. I only got to play a few games and to me Madden 2004 plays like Madden 2003 except with better Defense. NCAA 2004 for some reason just seems to have a better feel to it. Also I have not seen the WR's in Madden turn and look for the ball like they do in NCAA 2004. Not a big deal, but I thought that was a nice touch.

Yoyo, What is dumb about what I said ?

If you play both games and when I say play I mean KNOW HOW TO PLAY, they both are good games of football. However where Madden goes the "many features" route of trying to please you, Sega goes the way of trying to bring you everything you see and hear during a football game, you get in their game.

I have not played 2K4(ESPN) yet other than the demo but just from playing thier demo, as far as I am concerned, the games are equal as far as football is concerned. Presentation, graphics, the overall atmosphere of the game I think Sega does a better job at. The fact that the game plays differently and does not try to be Madden is also appealing. Like I said, I have been playing Madden since 91. For me and it may just be me, I need a new flavor. Coke makes a good soda but even they made an attempt to do something to make it more appealing to those who have been drinking it forever. EA needs to take some risks. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Sega took a risk with this first person football. They gave the old timers what they normally play and improved it, PLUS gave them a totally different mode to play the game in. It may or may not succeed but thats not the point. The point is they are innovating and pushing the game into new areas. Not just adding token features.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »