Home

Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

This is a discussion on Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are You Starting To Lose Passion For Madden?
Yes 240 64.52%
No 30 8.06%
I've Lost Interest For This Game Along Time Ago 90 24.19%
Are You Crazy Madden Is Headed In The Right Direction!!! 12 3.23%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

This is not a Madden bashing thread and my intentions are not to bash this game. These are just thoughts I have about where this game is headed.

I am 27 years old and have been playing this series since the 90s and I don't know if I am just growing out of it or if it's the direction where this franchise has headed but eversince the Madden 06 each year I start to lose more and more interest in this game. Don't get me wrong Madden 11 is by far the best Madden this gen but I felt it wasn't enough.

I just feel that Madden needs to make some "Big Changes" and add "Big Features" to win back alot of peoples hearts. Not trying to make this another NBA 2K vs. Madden debate but if you look at Madden 06 thru Madden 11 and compare it to NBA 2K6 thru NBA 2K11. Out of this 5 year span NBA 2K has made more noticeable changes to improve their game year by year.

No disrespect to the developers because I am pretty sure those guys bust their butts off overtime to make this game year in and year out and if I was in their shoes I wouldn't even have the skills to make a decent game. But hey that's why they're paid and trained to do what they do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Are You Losing Interest In Madden More And More Each Year?

As you get older you realize that things like video games just don't hold your attention as much as they used to.

You also realize that a game like Madden isn't as close to the NFL as you remember Tecmo Bowl being when you were a kid. It just happens.

I would also say, that in comparison to the NBA, MLB and even FIFA and the NHL, the NFL is probably the hardest game to bring to video games in a realistic way. There is just so much to it. I think the NHL probably comes closest to it in complexity of actually playing.

I mean, I hear glowing things about the baseball games and basketball games out there and wish that Madden was getting those reviews, but then I remember that basketball, while it maintains a much quicker pace game play wise, is a five on five sport on a relatively small court. It also doesn't have anywhere close to the player interactions that football does.

I also remember that baseball plays about as fast as a round of golf and lends itself far better to having better presented games for it since half of the game are the hitters adjusting their wristbands and gloves before a pitch. It literally is 10 guys standing on a field for minutes at a time with only two to three guys engaging in action at any given time. It damn well should have better presented games.

Soccer has a lot of similarities to football in a sense that it is a similarly sized field with about the same amount of people on the field at the same time, yet like baseball, when you watch it, there are really only three or four guys doing more than just slowly jogging around at a given time.

Hockey, like basketball is five on five and even quicker paced. Yet it still is played in a much smaller venue and despite all it's contact, doesn't present the complexity of player interaction that football does.

It is my opinion, that football present the hardest of the major sports to bring realistically to consoles. Not to mention the level of real world presentation the NFL actually gets.

Anyway, before I start a long drawn out debate, my point is, that yeah, as we get older these things become far more apparent and they go to making us lose interest. I myself, still love Madden. I play the crap out of it and I hope that it is going in the right direction.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

Short answer: Yes.

I don't want to get into trouble, so I won't elaborate why that is.

Peace...
Old 10-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I'll follow Sega's lead by not dragging this way out....

I just expected more outta this current gen of Madden than we've seen to this point. I expected the game play and franchise mode to make rather big leaps with this modern generation of consoles. Of what I was personally expecting....that hasn't happened. And my interest in Madden has waned badly.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
my point is, that yeah, as we get older these things become far more apparent and they go to making us lose interest. I myself, still love Madden. I play the crap out of it and I hope that it is going in the right direction.

True but what is crazy is I haven't lost interest in NBA 2K or NCAA FB at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack'n Skrillaz
True but what is crazy is I haven't lost interest in NBA 2K or NCAA FB at all.
To each his own. NCAA in all it's incarnations bores me to tears.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
To each his own. NCAA in all it's incarnations bores me to tears.
Why?

I decided to put most video games on a 2 year cycles. I didn't buy NCAA 10 but I did pick up NCAA 11 and I did the same with the NBA2k 11. I don't think most games on one year development cycle is worth picking up every year.

I will take a long look at Madden 12 but Madden isn't a day one buy anymore. My lower expectation means the Madden series is less of a priority.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
My lower expectation means the Madden series is less of a priority.

I am beginning to feel like that. Maybe I should approach each Madden from now on with low expectations so I don't get letdown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »