Home

So I Gave it a Shot

This is a discussion on So I Gave it a Shot within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
So I Gave it a Shot

So based on many disgruntle madden fans, I went out to buy NBA2k11. Now i played it for a little over a week straight and I liked the presentation style and everything, but now it's back on the shelf and Madden is in my xbox. I'm loving Madden 11 even more now and I can't put it down. I'm always saying to myself just one more game but then it turns to two and then three.

My question to all of you is...why aren't you loving this madden? With my slider set that I based off of Playmakers, I'm getting realistic scores with realistic stats and to me this is the ultimate sim game out there. Are any of you not getting the realistic scores and stats that I'm getting?

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: So I Gave it a Shot

i only play online franchise because i don't enjoy nursing the cpu and intentionally creating 'house rules' to avoid blowing the computer away. stats are ok i guess, but franchise mode for me was as dry and bare as the authenticity and presentation. i'm hoping if they could get the game to play like it did in 04 i could give it another go offline, but for now theres no challenge...therefor theres no fun, i started an offline franchise and couldn't make it through one half (with playmakers sliders tweaked) without wanting to play a friend for some real competition.

its just not there for me like it was 7 years ago, no depth or positive improvements whatsoever. even the online franchise servers are killing the game with d/c and lag issues and many people who haven't already abandoned ship for 2k11 will be playing black ops soon because much like me, find the game just plain boring and predictable. problem is i'm still comparing it to a simulation game like the 04 era and it just doesn't come close like those games did to representing football fundamentals. i won't get started on gameplay...its already been beaten to death.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
So based on many disgruntle madden fans, I went out to buy NBA2k11. Now i played it for a little over a week straight and I liked the presentation style and everything, but now it's back on the shelf and Madden is in my xbox. I'm loving Madden 11 even more now and I can't put it down. I'm always saying to myself just one more game but then it turns to two and then three.

My question to all of you is...why aren't you loving this madden? With my slider set that I based off of Playmakers, I'm getting realistic scores with realistic stats and to me this is the ultimate sim game out there. Are any of you not getting the realistic scores and stats that I'm getting?

The best answer I can give is that there is more to a Football video game (a LOT more) than just realistic scores and stats. If the gameplay that produces those realistic stats isn't very realistic or good, which to me it isn't on either count, realistic stats aren't any consolation.

In a text based sim, that would be fine. Not so in an alleged videogame sim.

There are no user tweaks that can fix what is really wrong with this game. That will only ever come from the development side.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

To me my biggest problem was offline franchise was just so stale. I too was having good, close games but, with all the off-season stuff being basically the same as last year, I had a "been there done that" type feeling this year.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

I too use PlayMakers sliders. I'm getting challenging games, and realistic stats.

I too am having a blast with Madden this year.

Having that said...

I just wish more was done to spice up Off-Line franchise. I hope they improve it next year. Also the superstar mode is bare bones and not touched in years. Also I wish some re-curring bugs (some 2 years old) would get fixed.
-Stat tracking bug
-IR
-Accelerated clock bug
-Rookie contract deman bug

etc..etc..

So while I'm having tons of fun, Im not exactly "loving" it...

There are few games I "Love."

Maybe MarioKart64, Tecmo Bowl, Halo, or Mike Tyson's Punch-out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Only1LT and kpkpkp summed it up the best. Is Madden fun? Yeah, sure it is. However, we re in an age of gaming where what we expect from EA is NOT unrealistic. We have seen "other" football games already do the things we want done.For me, Madden is pretty looking, has nice pre-snap/coaching options and a playable franchise mode. One of my problems is that they re not even living up to their own strengths. Prior editions playbooks were better, prior pre-snap options were better [man lock, and individual bump and run anyone?] and prior franchise mode was better. The big update for me was run blocking. While not perfect, it is better than any other game before it. I am honestly enjoying NCAA more.

In the short run though, it doesn't matter at all to me. I m having fun with Fallout New Vegas and now Call of Duty Black Ops. Those are triple A titles that are worth their $60.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
To me my biggest problem was offline franchise was just so stale. I too was having good, close games but, with all the off-season stuff being basically the same as last year, I had a "been there done that" type feeling this year.
What Pedrobear didn't tell you is that the players in the NFL are just too...damn...old.

Spoiler
Old 11-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Pro

rooney8's Arena

Yeah I have heard with sliders you can get realistic scores and stats but unfortunately not realistic gameplay or a remotely immersive franchise mode.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »