Home

I Broke Jimmy Clausen

This is a discussion on I Broke Jimmy Clausen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I Broke Jimmy Clausen

This is just a thread to let you know how "cheating" the system in franchise can break players.

Let me explain what happened, so you can be aware of what to watch out for.

I had a Bengals Franchise, this is before any roster updates (think launch day). I have never been a fan of Palmer anyway, but luck would have it that he got injured in the first preseason game. Only for two weeks, but when he came back he was missing every throw and played like a 6th grader, even when I restarted the game and put it on Rookie. He just couldn't complete a pass.

So I decided to trade him off, figured just grab a random QB and pick up a star in the draft. So he goes to Carolina and I get Clausen, thinking I can keep Clausen as a backup.

Turned out Clausen was great, and A potential too. I didn't draft that Rookie QB because clausen was great. At the end of the second season he had a 99 SAC, 92 MAC, and 86 DAC. His awareness was only like 67 but he was a monster. 87 OVR.

Anyway, his contract came up due in year 3 and I wasn't paying attention to things and couldn't give him the money he wanted...mainly due to a couple cap penalties.

So, I decided to move him to punter, which made him a 18 OVR. but also meant I could resign him for one year at a discount and then get him his real money next year.

So I do that, edit-> change position -> sign him-> change him back to QB.

Problem is, he lost stats. On my Player Management screen he is an 87 OVR, but on the depth chart he in only an 80.

So I start looking for what happened, and find his accuracy has decreased. SAC is 89, MAC is 80, and DAC is 78.

Sure, those aren't bad numbers ultimately...and I thought, well I'll just have to make up a little difference with him. But his progress for the last two years was 1 point OVR and his accuracies didn't increase at all for those two seasons.

So, he's effectively busted. Luckily for me, he is still considered an 87 OVR, which means I can use him as a trade to get a good draft QB I guess.

Anyway, just letting everyone know to be careful when trying to cheat the system...sometimes it goes all wrong.

=)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: I Broke Jimmy Clausen

I've been thinking the real Jimmy Clausen may be broken, so this is realistic simulation in my opinion, LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I thought Jimmy Clausen had a B potential?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

That's what you get for cheating.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

You didn't break him. This happens all the time. Pay attention when your players progress.

Occasionally, a player will get massive/minor increases or decreases in skills without it reflecting in the overall rating when you are in the player management screen. Where it does reflect is in the depth chart, which is what you are seeing.

If you go into edit the player, which you did, after you save and exit, it will then reflect that higher or in your case lower, rating. You didn't notice it at first because you changed him to a punter which probably gave him a 12 Overall. Had you not changed his position and still saved and exited (not canceled) he would have dropped to the 80.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

This sounds like a heap of mess...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Rookie

havokeff's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't know if it is intentional or not. Or if it is a hold over from an old progression system, but I actually kind of like it.

It's one of those 'on paper' things. You may have someone that you think is good, but it turns out, they have some deficiencies. Vice Versa, you think you have an average guy and he is actually much better than you think.

It certainly isn't common, so it isn't that much of an issue and it usually works on the positive side.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
That's what you get for cheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats ignant
This sounds like a heap of mess...
This.

If you have fun doing this, then what ever. Just don't complain when things don't work out how you want them to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »