Home

game engine revamp

This is a discussion on game engine revamp within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
game engine revamp

Isn't EA sports headed back to the drawing board and revamping everything about Madden 12?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: game engine revamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkbone
Isn't EA sports headed back to the drawing board and revamping everything about Madden 12?
A new engine was asked for and denied. Only very bad sales will get a new engine.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
won't happen.....madden is after casual gamers.....no need for a sound sim.....arcade is the way to go (apparently).
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
The only thing that is been overhauled for madden 12 is the franchise mode. The game engine is staying the same for next year. The main focus for madden 12 is going to be the franchise mode which is going to be good finally for the madden serias. Can't wait to see what they will do with the franchise mode this year.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7

Some work on the franchise is certainly needed, but gameplay is even more important. A new engine would be great, but like someone said, they are more interested in presenting an arcade version for casual gamers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Nopes! It's too soon for a new engine. From a business perspective the best solution would be to keep fiddling with the current engine until the next-generation consoles arrive. It would be throwing money out the window with a new engine for the current consoles, when next-generation consoles are expected within the next, say, 2-4 years (nobody really knows when they arrive).

However, EA Tiburon could, and should, already have started brainstorming, discussing a next-generation Madden engine based on their experiences with programming for the current engine.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm with guaps... Very little, if any, chance of seeing a major Madden revamp for this gen of consoles. I just don't see it making financial sense.

Also, I don't necessarily think that they are only interested in catering to casual gamers with an "arcade" version of football. I just think they made design decisions years back that left them with limited flexibility. I'm sure they set out to make a reasonable football simulation using motion captured animations... and they are probably very close to reaching the growth potential that the current gameplay framework can support. It is what it is, but I don't think the original intention was to change the entire focus of what the game had been by trying to hit some "mass appeal" homerun with an "arcade game".

Madden 11 is no more or less realistic than it was six years ago on the PS2. In my opinion, the general vibe of the gameplay has changed very little since it first went 3D about 10 years ago. Sure, they introduce some features and inexplicably remove them from year to year... like various uses for the analog sticks and QB vision cones and whatnot. But in general, I think a lot of people play the "it's all for casual gamers!" card due to lack of advancement in the "sim" aspects and not because the game has taken some crazy U-turn towards "arcade".
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25

I have little hope for M12......I found M11 to be the same so so affair after many many games in franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »