Home

Is this a game mechanic, or am I crazy?

This is a discussion on Is this a game mechanic, or am I crazy? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Rookie

Niekro4President's Arena

OVR: 1
Is this a game mechanic, or am I crazy?

Seven years into my franchise with the 49ers, I have managed to keep the roster pretty much intact, and because they start off with a bunch of A potential players it wasn't too hard to develop into the best team in the game. Adding a marquee A potential QB and a 99 spd 99 cth WR, a 95 C and it's not too hard to stay at the top, currently I have a 94 OVR off and an 88 DEF.

Anyway, I know I'm supposed to be fairly effective in the offensive department, but using Playmakers sliders, adjusted to make it just a little bit harder, I find myself rushing 6 times for 0 yards, then on the 7th run, break a 40 yarder for a nice 5 yard average.

Now when you look at the stats at the end of the game you'll see Gore with a 25 rush, 135 yard game and it looks like he was effective all game, when realistically it was 3 40 yard rushes and 22 0 and 1 yard gains.

The same goes on the defensive end, when I've shut down a team for several drives, and they go on a 12 play 80 yard drive where the QB who was 6/18 for 83 yards and 3 picks goes 6 for 6 for 62 yards and a perfect TD strike in the corner of the endzone. Again, looking at the stats you'll see a QB who went 12/30 for 145 yards, which is terrible but not telling of the dominance through 3 and a half quarters.

So, once again, is this a game mechanic or am I crazy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Is this a game mechanic, or am I crazy?

I don't believe you're crazy, but you can find these type of stats in the NFL every year....specially in garbage time.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

ive noticed the running thing too. a bunch of losses/tiny gains then bust a huge one.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niekro4President
Seven years into my franchise with the 49ers, I have managed to keep the roster pretty much intact, and because they start off with a bunch of A potential players it wasn't too hard to develop into the best team in the game. Adding a marquee A potential QB and a 99 spd 99 cth WR, a 95 C and it's not too hard to stay at the top, currently I have a 94 OVR off and an 88 DEF.

Anyway, I know I'm supposed to be fairly effective in the offensive department, but using Playmakers sliders, adjusted to make it just a little bit harder, I find myself rushing 6 times for 0 yards, then on the 7th run, break a 40 yarder for a nice 5 yard average.

Now when you look at the stats at the end of the game you'll see Gore with a 25 rush, 135 yard game and it looks like he was effective all game, when realistically it was 3 40 yard rushes and 22 0 and 1 yard gains.

The same goes on the defensive end, when I've shut down a team for several drives, and they go on a 12 play 80 yard drive where the QB who was 6/18 for 83 yards and 3 picks goes 6 for 6 for 62 yards and a perfect TD strike in the corner of the endzone. Again, looking at the stats you'll see a QB who went 12/30 for 145 yards, which is terrible but not telling of the dominance through 3 and a half quarters.

So, once again, is this a game mechanic or am I crazy?
Sounds like the nature of the run game... 2 here, 4 there, sprinkle in a few 3 yard gains, a loss, then BAM... 60 yards to the house. In the end, practically every running game works this way. At the end of the day, you check the stats and can only remember 2 or 3 long gains.

Later
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

This seems pretty common with the sliders I use too, and also with default sliders. There are a lot of no-gainers and a lot of huge plays on both sides of the ball.

I can understand giving up a few big plays since bad stick skills and bad plays should put me behind where a normal NFL defense would be. However, I also seem to get way too many long scoring runs and passes. It's too easy to spot a very aggressive blitz, audible to a quick pass, and break a monster gain with no safeties over the top.

Probably someone out there has a fun solution that involves controlling all 32 teams in franchise mode and making sure that CPU teams have non-stupid aggression sliders. I have a feeling that difficulty sliders aren't the problem. :\
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Rookie

Niekro4President's Arena

OVR: 1

I believe that may be the case as well. Too many times on a 9 man blitz, I have to audible out of a run to the quick slants, and it's too easy to get at least 30 yards.

I'd prefer not to audible out of the run, but in the interest of fairness I have to.

The idea to control 32 teams at the time I started my franchise wasn't ideal for me, but now I have too much time invested in this franchise to start over and control all the aggression sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »