Home

Can a 5'9" player reach higher than 6'5"?

This is a discussion on Can a 5'9" player reach higher than 6'5"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
JVM
Banned

OVR: 7
Can a 5'9" player reach higher than 6'5"?

Yes! Well, at least it occurs in Madden 11. In both games against the team with this 5'9" DB, he reached higher than my 6'5" WR to deflect the pass, and it happened both times on the exact same play. You should have seen the replay. I watched in amazement as this 5'9" DB seemed to jump up higher than my 6'5" WR, who is 99 speed, 99 Release, 99 acceleration, 99 catching. Of course, 99 speed and 99 catching don't guarantee anything, especially catching a pass. I am fairly certain if you or I had this 5'9" DB, you would hear Collinsworth comment on that not being a good match-up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Can a 5'9" player reach higher than 6'5"?

Depends on the hops. Height is alway thought of as a determining factor in who going catch the ball. Ask Steve Smith, Nate Robinson or Spudd Webb about short guys hopping. I had a friend 5'8" who dunked on a guy 6'4". They went straight up and the tall guy got out jumped. So it happens.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Rookie

Watch any NFL game with good corner backs playing. Their athleticism is incredible. And remember that they are light... it's easier for them to relatively jump higher than a 6 1/2 foot guy that's 50 pounds heavier.

Of course, this is in NFL. In Madden, the world is very different. DBs in Madden are much weaker relatively, which I think is a big cause of the defensive/ offensive balance.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
Watch any NFL game with good corner backs playing. Their athleticism is incredible. And remember that they are light... it's easier for them to relatively jump higher than a 6 1/2 foot guy that's 50 pounds heavier.

Of course, this is in NFL. In Madden, the world is very different. DBs in Madden are much weaker relatively, which I think is a big cause of the defensive/ offensive balance.
Well, my WR is 6'5" and around 210 pounds, by no means a heavy guy--and a lot taller than 5'9". Can you imagine a 5'9" DB guarding Calvin Johnson, a lighter Calvin Johnson?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Maddens ratings dont dictate the animations. In this game every DL, LB, and DB can jump 10 feet in the air to defelct a pass. Maddens DB/WR interactions have always been terribly flawed, and according to the devs, never going to be fixed until a new generation of consoles are made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

Depends on the hops, the timing of the jump, the height of the ball, and the position of the defender.

I can't speak for everyone... But when I was younger (mid 20's) I could elevate better than several 6'5" guys even at 5'6". Of course, my vertical was 38" back then... But I'd rebound over MUCH taller guys regularly because of position and ups.

But if you really think it's odd... Think about how many 6'5" DBs are in the NFL vs. the number of 6'5" receivers. Most every DB is shorter than the player they defend. Shorter people tend to be quicker because of less mass and lower center of gravity which is why there are more shorties on D.

What you saw shouldn't annoy you...

Later
Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
JVM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Depends on the hops, the timing of the jump, the height of the ball, and the position of the defender.

I can't speak for everyone... But when I was younger (mid 20's) I could elevate better than several 6'5" guys even at 5'6". Of course, my vertical was 38" back then... But I'd rebound over MUCH taller guys regularly because of position and ups.

But if you really think it's odd... Think about how many 6'5" DBs are in the NFL vs. the number of 6'5" receivers. Most every DB is shorter than the player they defend. Shorter people tend to be quicker because of less mass and lower center of gravity which is why there are more shorties on D.

What you saw shouldn't annoy you...

Later
The WR is not only taller by eight inches, but he is faster with 99 speed and 99 acceleration and 99 agility. Let's make Calvin Johnson 99 speed, 99 catching, 99 acceleration, 99 release, and you tell me what slower 5'9" DB can guard him so tightly with ability to regularly deflect the pass? By the way, my QB is 6'6" tall, just thought you might like to know.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM
The WR is not only taller by eight inches, but he is faster with 99 speed and 99 acceleration and 99 agility. Let's make Calvin Johnson 99 speed, 99 catching, 99 acceleration, 99 release, and you tell me what slower 5'9" DB can guard him so tightly with ability to regularly deflect the pass? By the way, my QB is 6'6" tall, just thought you might like to know.

What are the jump ratings for the WR and DB?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »