Home

Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks

This is a discussion on Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Overhauling Defense: Pre-Snap Looks

I've asked for this a few times, so I definitely dig the idea. I just hope EA puts this in line BEHIND tiering the defensive play calling and gap/contain assignments.

But this is good stuff. Aside from balancing the gameplay, there needs to be more strategy involved. As it stands, we just pick "plays", dance with blockers & run into ball carriers.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think you ask to much for Tiburon team.In august our hopes will die once again...sadddd!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
custom plays and custom playbooks are also badly needed IMO
Yes, absolutely. This would be ideal.

I'd really like to see an online create a play/playbook feature set up like Teambuilder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Rookie

XXL78's Arena

OVR: 3

I think getting the man lock back and man align back would go s long way as far as disguising your defenses
Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

This would be a great way to get team defenses to play differently. After watching the Steelers last night, they have Polamalu near the line all the time. You would never see this from the Colts or other "Cover 2" teams.

This would be a great addition.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

These type of things would be awesome in Madden but I think the devs look at this stuff and think "not casual friendly". I don't understand why they can't build a complicated, NFL sim and then add preset difficulty settings for different skill levels. If a beginner doesn't know how or doesn't want a complex "chess match", give them a simple setting to choose something simpler..

I hope they dont just focus on the franchise mode in Madden 12 and still do NOTHING to mke Madden more strategic and cerebral. Imagine going online, playing someone on a All-NFL setting and actual getting your butt kicked because you got out schemed, not glitched/chessed all game. I look foward to the day I can get beat online 50-3, ala Bill Belicheat's 2007-08 Pats because my opponent knew football better than me.

We all should have an OPTION to set Madden on a difficulty setting to make it as in-depth and close to the NFL we feel comfortable with. Get rid of the All-Madden setting and give us a All-NFL setting. I hope the devs consider this when creating Madden 12 and then MAYBE when can actually get a game that satisfies different skill levels, not just casuals.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ea has got a lot of things missing on the game of Madden that is in real life.

Pre-snap looks is one of them. For one, if they did take heed to your suggestion, they would have to do it right. We should be able to disguise our coverages into whatever presnap look we want, but we should also be penalized dearly for giving a presnap look that doesn't fit the defense. For example, in your Saint's video, the Saints were showing single high safety. Essentially, you wouldn't be 100 percent sure on what coverage they are running until post snap. Single high safety pre snap looks are either cover 1 man or cover 3 zone. If Madden allows us to give different pre snap looks (And I hope they do) players in Madden would show this single high safety look even if they were actually playing cover 4 zone and cover 2 zone. Ea should make sure that if you get caught showing a presnap look that doesn't fit the defense, that you should pay post snap.

For instance, if you are in a single high snap look and your actually playing cover 2 zone, the safety that is in the box should get beat deep downfield easily because he is out of position pre snap. The safety would have to turn his hips early with his back to the quarterback, and race upfield if a receiver is running downfield on his side. All because he was in the box at the snap of the ball trying to disguise the cover 2. The single high safety could get beat down field easily on his side for being out of position if they were actually in a cover 2 zone because he is too far from the sideline being that he is deep down the MIDDLE of the field instead of on the hashmarks like he should be in cover 2 zone.

All I'm saying is, is if they are going to allow us to show different pre-snap looks, make sure that if we get caught out of position because of the pre-snap look, that we can give up big plays. This will give us bigtime risk and rewards.

Last edited by 1_two_3_forte; 12-07-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_two_3_forte
Ea has got a lot of things missing on the game of Madden that is in real life.

Pre-snap looks is one of them. For one, if they did take heed to your suggestion, they would have to do it right. We should be able to disguise our coverages into whatever presnap look we want, but we should also be penalized dearly for giving a presnap look that doesn't fit the defense. For example, in your Saint's video, the Saints were showing single high safety. Essentially, you wouldn't be 100 percent sure on what coverage they are running until post snap. Single high safety pre snap looks are either cover 1 man or cover 3 zone. If Madden allows us to give different pre snap looks (And I hope they do) players in Madden would show this single high safety look even if they were actually playing cover 4 zone and cover 2 zone. Ea should make sure that if you get caught showing a presnap look that doesn't fit the defense, that you should pay post snap.

For instance, if you are in a single high snap look and your actually playing cover 2 zone, the safety that is in the box should get beat deep downfield easily because he is out of position pre snap. The safety would have to turn his hips early with his back to the quarterback, and race upfield if a receiver is running downfield on his side. All because he was in the box at the snap of the ball trying to disguise the cover 2. The single high safety could get beat down field easily on his side for being out of position if they were actually in a cover 2 zone because he is too far from the sideline being that he is deep down the MIDDLE of the field instead of on the hashmarks like he should be in cover 2 zone.

All I'm saying is, is if they are going to allow us to show different pre-snap looks, make sure that if we get caught out of position because of the pre-snap look, that we can give up big plays. This will give us bigtime risk and rewards.
This is a great write up, and one of the things I had in mind for the OP.

This is one of the things that makes Polamalu special. He is one of the few safeties who can play close to the line with run responsibilities but he's also trusted to cover a deep half sometimes despite being in the box. Not many safeties can do this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »