Home

Potential a real franchise killer

This is a discussion on Potential a real franchise killer within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #17
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Potential a real franchise killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN_NFL_2k5
It doesn't need to die but it needs to be better. For example EVERYONE had the idea of RYAN LEAF becoming a better pro then PEYTON MANNING and we all know how that truned out. With potential it needs to be tied in to what the player does year in and year out to make it real. AND yea when i see the potential it kind of stops me from signing a player, TOM BRADY would not have been A potential coming out of the draft and look what happen 3 superbowl rings and 2 superbowl MVPs later out of the 6th round. I've been playing madden for a while now and I dream of HEAD COACH and MADDEN becoming one game. Dosen't any one else?????
Yea I have to agree. I would love to see Owner mode/Headcoach mode/ and madden all in one. Hopefully that will start with madden 12 as they revamp franchise mode as a whole. It is a wait and see game right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #18
Banned

Blue Line's Arena

OVR: 2

there shouldn't be a potential rating....potential is a variable that can not be measured and therefore shouldn't be used to determined progression. as someone mentioned already, there are many factors that go into one's potential and IMO it creates a cap on our player's progression. having an average player that has a break out performance and then drastically increasing in ratings is nearly impossible with the potential rating......its not how real life progression works.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Potential doesn't need to die. It exists in real life. Not all players become HoF players, or even consistently solid guys.

The problem is we know what it is and it doesn't change.

We should have to scout in order to have an IDEA of what potential is, but it shouldn't be thrown in our faces. The AI needs to consider it more highly for sure. Of course, AI needs a lot of work in itself in franchise, potential or no.

To me, the problem is that potential is unchanging and we aren't ever wrong about it. That A guy might not be an A - the scout could be wrong. Or maybe he gets hurt - and now he's a B...or worse. Maybe the C or D guy was just woefully underrated for whatever reason (unknown school - bad combine, whatever) but get him on the real field and he looks way better and just improves year after year. Suddenly you have Brady as a 6th rounder all over again.

I think Madden needs more stuff in franchise that clouds the picture and throws in uncertainty we have to deal with, like real franchises do. To me, that's the franchise killer.

Potential existed in Head Coach and it's never struck me as killing that game - mostly because it wasn't a certain thing with a lot of variables.
Excellent point. Very well stated!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Except, in real life, players don't get better by playing better. They get better, then play better.

In real life, a player doesn't have a good season, then next year get more skills. A player gets more skills then next season they produce more stats.

As far as average players producing excellent seasons - average players shouldn't be doing that. That's one thing I never will understand about Madden - how can a player with average skills produce all-pro seasons over and over? People complain how he doesn't get progression (and he shouldn't because playing well doesn't increase skill in real life), but my question is either: why is he average-rated by the game, or, why is he able to be an all-pro on average ratings?

If it's system, then he definitely shouldn't progress. He's not better, the system the team is using is exploiting him better. If it's just what average players do in the game - the game's ratings and their effect on the engine need work.
I'm gonna have to partially disagree with this statement. Success on the field is definitely related to the person's skills, however, achieving success/playing well improves a player's confidence. A confident player plays better, practices better, learns quicker and comes closer to reaching his overall potential. Confidence does impact a players performance, and this fact is one of the main reasons why young QB's are kept from playing, because GM's don't want to ruin the confidence of one of the most important player on the field.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Confidence does impact a players performance, and this fact is one of the main reasons why young QB's are kept from playing, because GM's don't want to ruin the confidence of one of the most important player on the field.
Yup. Just compare and contrast David Carr with Aaron Rodgers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp2081
Yup. Just compare and contrast David Carr with Aaron Rodgers.
I think the difference between those two is more than just confidence...
Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
I'm gonna have to partially disagree with this statement. Success on the field is definitely related to the person's skills, however, achieving success/playing well improves a player's confidence. A confident player plays better, practices better, learns quicker and comes closer to reaching his overall potential. Confidence does impact a players performance, and this fact is one of the main reasons why young QB's are kept from playing, because GM's don't want to ruin the confidence of one of the most important player on the field.
Then have a confidence rating and have that impact how well/consistently the player uses his abilities.

Confidence does not make you run faster, have more field awareness, make you tackle with better form, make you accelerate faster, make you suddenly run amazing routes, block with better technique, etc.

You either have the technique/ability or you don't. Being confident with weak technique or average skill doesn't make you suddenly better than you are. These are physical, biomechanical things that "thinking you can" isn't going to improve. If you can run 4.7 40yd time, being confident isn't going to make you run like DeSean Jackson or Chris Johnson over the years.

A player shouldn't get faster because he's more confident, or have a higher max velocity on his throws, or suddenly become accurate when before he had the accuracy of Jamarcus Russell or Derek Anderson, etc.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »