Home

It's as if EA finally listened. Hallelujah!!

This is a discussion on It's as if EA finally listened. Hallelujah!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
It\'s as if EA finally listened. Hallelujah!!

This is not you're typical, somewhat arrogant, version of Madden. EA seemed to have spent their hours where we wanted them to this offseason.

In honor of SubZ, I'll mention this first. Finally, Texas Stadium has been done right, shadows and all. The way the light plays off of the jersies as players go in and out of the shade is fantastic. This took some thought and effort.

The running game is by far the best I've played. Inside or outside, the blocking is extremely varied, and the interaction between lineman is really strong. The computer will put some serious yards on you if you don't play honest against the run, and you, too, can have a lot of success if you read your blocking and mix your plays. The collision detection is real good, and the results are lifelike. NO MARIO RUNNING AT ALL! Players twist and turn their way through tackles until they hit the ground.

The pass rush is great, and NO LONGER CAN YOU JUST DROP BACK AND HEAVE!! This Madden is quicker, and you'd better get rid of the ball immediately or step up in the pocket. Guys like Kearse come hard around the corner, as does Sapp up the gut. Blitzers don't get caught up in the melee anymore either. And players get their hands up, so you'd better find a lane to pass through.

Finally, EA took notice of what playbooks teams use. If you're favorite team is a 4-3 team, then there isn't a 3-4 in their playbook. Likewise, the offensive playbooks take on the personality of their specific teams. A nice new onslaught of plays, too.

Finally, teams FEEL like who they are. Got Indianapolis? Prepare for a defensive problem. But Tampa? You'll have an easier time on that side of the ball. Great players play great, as I found out with Roy Williams. What a stud he is in this game. Likewise, I had fits trying to control Tomlinson in one game, and McNair drove me nuts in another. You feel like you're playing with who you're playing with, and against who you're playing against.

The tackling animations are fantastic. The way defenders lower their shoulder and helmet and drive into the ball carrier is so believable. The gang tackles are smooth and realistic.

The kicking game is about perfect! On punts, you'll have some fair catches situations, as well as some chances to return. You can get pressure on the punter (there will be blocks, I can tell), as well as the field goal kicker. Kickoffs yield some big returns, some medium returns, and some tackles inside the 20. Very, very realistic.

Players are quick, and they'll get away from you. I took Portis up the gut, then broke outside and made the corner for a 55-yard TD. No catch up AI speed in this game.

Ball physics are real well done. If you can pressure the QB, the pass will be effected, particularly if you can get a hand on him or hit him. Tipped passes are up for grabs

The accelerated clock makes the game far more realistic from a game management standpoint. Be careful the first play after a kickoff, because you don't have the time you had before. Getting your guys out cost you some seconds.

The "packages" are done very well. You want Alstott at tailback? Simply hit B until you see "big package", and there he is back there. Want two quick guys in the backfield? Hit B until you see "dual-HB".

The new presentation package is very fresh for EA. Obviously, they expect that to be a strength of ESPN, so they've freshened things. Likewise, the menus are all re-done extremely well.

Yes, the player models are familiar, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. There is a lot of distinction with size and personal traits like hair and tatoos and whatnot. Plus, they move so realistically. It's nice.

I haven't even toyed with the playmaker controls yet, nor have I ventured into owner mode or any of that.

The only gripe I have so far (aside from getting my booty kicked as the Broncos, 31-17, by Tennessee) is Madden. He's better, but still stale. Michaels is much better, and I like him talking during the playcalling screens.

Madden is better than NCAA. I didn't think I'd say that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Re: It\'s as if EA finally listened. Hallelujah!!

I should add this.

You know how we see some evidence of Madden on ESPN this year? I can also see evidence of NFL2K3 in Madden, too. Though not as exagerrated, running inside has a little of that 2K3 feel this year as you ricochet through the line.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:52 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Great Review bro cant wait to get it tomorrow
Old 08-12-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

yah its spectacular....where the hell are my XBOX draft class imports...up yours EA.....you stupid F U C K S
Old 08-12-2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

What version are you playing??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2003, 12:57 AM   #6
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Quote:

bucs44 said:
What version are you playing??

XBox.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:02 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

Erod said:
This is not you're typical, somewhat arrogant, version of Madden. EA seemed to have spent their hours where we wanted them to this offseason.

In honor of SubZ, I'll mention this first. Finally, Texas Stadium has been done right, shadows and all. The way the light plays off of the jersies as players go in and out of the shade is fantastic. This took some thought and effort.

The running game is by far the best I've played. Inside or outside, the blocking is extremely varied, and the interaction between lineman is really strong. The computer will put some serious yards on you if you don't play honest against the run, and you, too, can have a lot of success if you read your blocking and mix your plays. The collision detection is real good, and the results are lifelike. NO MARIO RUNNING AT ALL! Players twist and turn their way through tackles until they hit the ground.

The pass rush is great, and NO LONGER CAN YOU JUST DROP BACK AND HEAVE!! This Madden is quicker, and you'd better get rid of the ball immediately or step up in the pocket. Guys like Kearse come hard around the corner, as does Sapp up the gut. Blitzers don't get caught up in the melee anymore either. And players get their hands up, so you'd better find a lane to pass through.

Finally, EA took notice of what playbooks teams use. If you're favorite team is a 4-3 team, then there isn't a 3-4 in their playbook. Likewise, the offensive playbooks take on the personality of their specific teams. A nice new onslaught of plays, too.

Finally, teams FEEL like who they are. Got Indianapolis? Prepare for a defensive problem. But Tampa? You'll have an easier time on that side of the ball. Great players play great, as I found out with Roy Williams. What a stud he is in this game. Likewise, I had fits trying to control Tomlinson in one game, and McNair drove me nuts in another. You feel like you're playing with who you're playing with, and against who you're playing against.

The tackling animations are fantastic. The way defenders lower their shoulder and helmet and drive into the ball carrier is so believable. The gang tackles are smooth and realistic.

The kicking game is about perfect! On punts, you'll have some fair catches situations, as well as some chances to return. You can get pressure on the punter (there will be blocks, I can tell), as well as the field goal kicker. Kickoffs yield some big returns, some medium returns, and some tackles inside the 20. Very, very realistic.

Players are quick, and they'll get away from you. I took Portis up the gut, then broke outside and made the corner for a 55-yard TD. No catch up AI speed in this game.

Ball physics are real well done. If you can pressure the QB, the pass will be effected, particularly if you can get a hand on him or hit him. Tipped passes are up for grabs

The accelerated clock makes the game far more realistic from a game management standpoint. Be careful the first play after a kickoff, because you don't have the time you had before. Getting your guys out cost you some seconds.

The "packages" are done very well. You want Alstott at tailback? Simply hit B until you see "big package", and there he is back there. Want two quick guys in the backfield? Hit B until you see "dual-HB".

The new presentation package is very fresh for EA. Obviously, they expect that to be a strength of ESPN, so they've freshened things. Likewise, the menus are all re-done extremely well.

Yes, the player models are familiar, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. There is a lot of distinction with size and personal traits like hair and tatoos and whatnot. Plus, they move so realistically. It's nice.

I haven't even toyed with the playmaker controls yet, nor have I ventured into owner mode or any of that.

The only gripe I have so far (aside from getting my booty kicked as the Broncos, 31-17, by Tennessee) is Madden. He's better, but still stale. Michaels is much better, and I like him talking during the playcalling screens.

Madden is better than NCAA. I didn't think I'd say that.

According to some impressions I have read you can still drop back 20 + yards and throw it deep. This has happened to some people in online games already.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

yeah I can't import the classes either (there's a separate thread dealing with this issue), other than that, the review hit the nail on the head, at least from what I've seen so far. The Bungles even put up a fight with Corey Dillon running all over the place.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »