Home

What happened to Fair Play Rules?

This is a discussion on What happened to Fair Play Rules? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #41
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: What happened to Fair Play Rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
The game is limited as is. Why continue down that path? It's hard enough to make throws in good coverage due to not enough animation to deal with it. What you want? A defender to slide across the field to knock a pass down? or to spin in mid air with no contact to intercept a pass?
The same way the offensive player slides and makes his catches? lol......for real tho, of course i done want it done in an unrealistic fashion....In M11 the game is offense heavy, the D needs to get the advantage on at least one down of the series lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
The same way the offensive player slides and makes his catches? lol......for real tho, of course i done want it done in an unrealistic fashion....In M11 the game is offense heavy, the D needs to get the advantage on at least one down of the series lol.
Then fix the defense. Adding fair-play doesn't change anything. The defense flaws will still exist for the first three downs.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
To people like me and Kehlis, you just can't get that with fairplay off. I will concede that it needs to be lightened up, but if 11 is anything like 10( and from what I've read it sounds worse) anything would be better than what we have now.
To me, the realistic flow of a NFL game does not include getting limited in the calls I can make.

When I see a NFL game, I don't see FORCED limitation of play calls any more than I see going for it on 4th on your own 20.

Neither one is realistic. Nor is being forbidden to go for it except for when EA thinks I should be allowed to. I don't cheese or make utterly stupid low percentage plays, even against the AI, but I also want to be able to play mind games, which might include going for it on 4th in short now and then.

You know, like real NFL coaches do sometimes. I want TRUE realism, which includes being able to play a metagame with the other coach, the "chess match" that's often talked about. I can't do that even in REALISTIC situations if EA is saying, "No no no, you can't go for it yet!"

I mean, it's stupid. I can throw a bomb on 3rd and 1 to confuse a coach that might just be expecting a HB Dive, but on 4th and 1, I'm not even allowed to do a HB Dive or a play fake bootleg into a quick out to the TE on the same side of the field if I want to play a few mind games while on the plus 40-45 yd line once in a while?

And this is what folks consider realistic? Seriously?

This reminds me of in M10 where the whole "you throw to the HB too much!" was considered cheese - except teams like the Ravens...Rice was their NUMBER 1 in receptions. So, if I play Baltimore REALISTICALLY (i.e. throw to Rice a lot), it's considered cheese. The Fair Play rules remind me of the same kind of thing.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #44
MVP

phant030's Arena

Thing is there is no heart. No composure. No will in the game. No ability to for the AI to shade, anticipate, or learn human patterns, no way to pass commit. So, if the defense is not 'fixed', there has to be a video game way to combat the problem.

And the root of the problem is that it's a bit to easy to convert on 4th down so users exploit it. Of course, you have ppl who think their offenses cant be stopped. But, you have tighter coverage, shorter pocket time, less/smaller holes.....Over time the user (who does everything to win) unknowingly starts to punt.

Think about how playaction was abused, and now playaction success is limited and really based on successful running...ppl dont use it quite as much. Although, some ppl believe it's a bit too useless (i think differently) It has changed the usage of the plays.

And yes, the D should be tightened up over all phases of the game. But, i saw a lot about 4th downs. i dont want ppl to be forced into punting, b/c their playstyle is their style....but the situations should play out closer to real life numbers. And if they want to win, which most ppl do, they will start to punt.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #45
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

First off let me say that any OPTION is a good OPTION because it's OPTIONAL! LOL. So a fairplay lobby for people that want to agree to it is not censorship or restictive, it's their CHOICE.

Quote:
They may not need a return. But, they need some type of 4th down awareness (or boosts) to make them less likely to be successful....just a bit harder to make that throw in good coverage, a bit harder to get that hole especially on 4th and long....the only reason ppl do it is b/c they can get away with it. Turn the odds in favor of the defense...over time it will balance out IMO.

I saw they were talking about Grenade lauchers being toned down in Black Ops, so ppl that were using them in MW2 w/ ease have stopped mostly (at least from what i read near it releasing).

I understand it's not an enjoyable experience, but you shouldn't really 'force' players into it....l just think if it's skewed towards a defensive advantage it will take care of itself.

Add that with some quick tips in team selection...like Pass/Run Ratio, Goes for it on 4th down%...we may not have to deal with them in the first place.
I personally LOVE both of these suggestions. I have being saying for a while now that Madden already has the tools to improve online play. Just use the penalties and ratings to deter bad football decisions. I play poker and what makes alot of players better than others is knowing the odds. Coaches in the NFL weigh the risk/reward when making these type calls and Madden should simulate that. A potential increase in mental mistakes in pressure situations plays very heavy into the risk factor in the NFL. If you want to go for it on 4th n 13 at your 20, the chance of holdings, false starts and dropped passes should INCREASE, to simulate mental mistakes that come with pressure. It should be an opportunity for clutch/high AWR players to step up and/or weaker/low AWR players to make big mistakes. I think this should apply to ALL high pressure situations in Madden with offense/defense/special teams.

On the latter point Phant made, I thought this was the way Madden was heading with the scouting feature added in Madden 11 but they went another direction with it. I say let people play how ever they want but allow me some way of knowing their usual playstyle so I can avoid them if I CHOOSE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #46
rrr
Rookie

OVR: 1

Throwing away ethics, no fair play rules have made me better. I have learned to bring it on every down so my opponent would not even think about going it on 4th down.

One thing they should implement is onside kick fairplay. Online, you can't audible to an onside kick return after they audible to an onside kick formation
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Thing is there is no heart. No composure. No will in the game. No ability to for the AI to shade, anticipate, or learn human patterns, no way to pass commit. So, if the defense is not 'fixed', there has to be a video game way to combat the problem.

And the root of the problem is that it's a bit to easy to convert on 4th down so users exploit it. Of course, you have ppl who think their offenses cant be stopped. But, you have tighter coverage, shorter pocket time, less/smaller holes.....Over time the user (who does everything to win) unknowingly starts to punt.

Think about how playaction was abused, and now playaction success is limited and really based on successful running...ppl dont use it quite as much. Although, some ppl believe it's a bit too useless (i think differently) It has changed the usage of the plays.

And yes, the D should be tightened up over all phases of the game. But, i saw a lot about 4th downs. i dont want ppl to be forced into punting, b/c their playstyle is their style....but the situations should play out closer to real life numbers. And if they want to win, which most ppl do, they will start to punt.
Fair play is just a band-aid. Band-aid are temporary and will eventually get taken off.

Playaction or playing defense doesn't work at all because the game doesn't have enough animations to deal with outcomes of a play.

Limited animation = Limited gameplay.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #48
MVP

phant030's Arena

The difference between me and you, I'm discussing fair play....you want to get your point across about limited animations. You're responding as if I want fair play implemented, so you obviously aren't reading my posts as a whole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »