Home

What happened to Fair Play Rules?

This is a discussion on What happened to Fair Play Rules? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What happened to Fair Play Rules?

haven't played online since 2008 and after playing a few games, noticed that people didn't have to punt on 4th down anymore. combine that with the lack of defense and it makes online pretty bad. what happened?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: What happened to Fair Play Rules?

Look for it to make a return soon, there has been a lot of clamoring about it. I would expect to see something along the lines of a fairplay lobby...look for that god awful vision cone to return also... {UGH}. People claim to want change, when in actuality they just want a retro remake. I just hope they don't tout them a "new" features.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Fair Play made it's debut in Madden '04 and prevented players from making calls that went against the percentages. The revisions that occurred in Madden '05 also limited user decisions in some situations...

It was not actually "removed" as it still exists in a form that directs players to special teams plays on 4th downs. The difference is that players can consciously opt to disregard Fair Play's suggestion and choose any other play in the playbook.

The way Fair Play used to work was nothing less than censorship that stopped players from coaching their own teams based on their own risk/reward values. NEVER SHOULD PLAYERS BE FORCED TO SELECT ANY PLAY. Otherwise, they may as well be forced to run plays the CPU selects the entire game.

The way it works now provides a warning that players ought to punt, but doesn't force them to against their will. I hope Fair Play doesn't return in the format it had in '04 and '05.

Later
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Fair play was a great feature.

It should be brought back.

Definitely made matches against randoms a lot more fun.

I used to play a lot of ranked games in Madden 06 and Madden 07 on the PC.

But with the way Madden online is now, I can't even stomach playing through a single game against a random opponent with all the shenanigans that occur.

Madden 10 + Madden 11 combined, I have played a grand total of 1 ranked game, and it was an absolutely miserable experience.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Fair play was a great feature.

It should be brought back.

Definitely made matches against randoms a lot more fun.

I used to play a lot of ranked games in Madden 06 and Madden 07 on the PC.

But with the way Madden online is now, I can't even stomach playing through a single game against a random opponent with all the shenanigans that occur.

Madden 10 + Madden 11 combined, I have played a grand total of 1 ranked game, and it was an absolutely miserable experience.
I recommend that you play more often...

I play ALL my games against randoms and my games have been pretty much shenanigan free. I've only run up against someone with silly antics in less than 10 games all year, which is better than Madden '10 and '09 thusfar.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

disagree completely.

do u play online man? do you know what happens when they go for it and get stopped on a crucial 4th down? disconnection city. that's corny, add no defense to the equation and you get everyone and their mother going for it and converting too much. games were much better before.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Fair Play made it's debut in Madden '04 and prevented players from making calls that went against the percentages. The revisions that occurred in Madden '05 also limited user decisions in some situations...

It was not actually "removed" as it still exists in a form that directs players to special teams plays on 4th downs. The difference is that players can consciously opt to disregard Fair Play's suggestion and choose any other play in the playbook.

The way Fair Play used to work was nothing less than censorship that stopped players from coaching their own teams based on their own risk/reward values. NEVER SHOULD PLAYERS BE FORCED TO SELECT ANY PLAY. Otherwise, they may as well be forced to run plays the CPU selects the entire game.

The way it works now provides a warning that players ought to punt, but doesn't force them to against their will. I hope Fair Play doesn't return in the format it had in '04 and '05.

Later
You are ignoring the most important factor.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying but we here all want to play a realistic game of football.

In real life, a coach has to be accountable for his decisions and wins and losses have a real effect.

You can go for it on 4th and 10 in Madden from your own 20, miss it and eventually lose the game and there are absolutely no consequences. Shrug it off and play the next game.

Fair play countered that. You couldn't just do anything regardless of if it made sense or not. I agree you should have certain control over what your team does but I don't think those who actually want to play realistically are wrong for asking for a fair play lobby.

If you want to play unrealisticly, go ahead, but there is no reason to say others can't have that option.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

Later
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You are ignoring the most important factor.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying but we here all want to play a realistic game of football.

In real life, a coach has to be accountable for his decisions and wins and losses have a real effect.

You can go for it on 4th and 10 in Madden from your own 20, miss it and eventually lose the game and there are absolutely no consequences. Shrug it off and play the next game.

Fair play countered that. You couldn't just do anything regardless of if it made sense or not. I agree you should have certain control over what your team does but I don't think those who actually want to play realistically are wrong for asking for a fair play lobby.

If you want to play unrealisticly, go ahead, but there is no reason to say others can't have that option.
You know I gotta say I disagree kehlis, I think TNT is right.

I think the way it is now is perfect... where you are prompted to punt/use special teams in applicable situations, but you ultimately can opt to do whatever you want.

I mean hey, if someone wants to got for it on 4th and 10 from their own 20.... Let 'em try!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »